• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing 7mmRM factory Load

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm building a 7mmRM (700BDL) that will primarily be used for elk, deer, and the like. It'll probably get about 100 rounds per year through it, and most of that will be at the range.

That said, I don't reload, and I have no desire to start (mostly a time consideration). So . . .

Can anybody recommend the most accurate factory 7mmRM? I know every rifle likes different stuff, but there has to be some that are generally better than others.

Initially, I've been looking at the
Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 165 Grain Sierra GameKing Boat Tail
But if someone knows of a better one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know, why not just get a bunch of different ones and check them at the range . . . Mostly because I want to pick up a Kenton turret for my scope . . .

Your collective knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Re: 7mmRM factory Load

You really have to try some different loads. I had a 7 MM that would shoot 150gr factory Remington Core-lock in a ten inch circle at 100y. 168 SMK reloads were < 1 inch. There can be dramatic differences in how a load shoots.

Good luck

Jerry

Depends on what you are wanting to shoot. The 7mm Mag is great for a variety of bullets. I have used all kinds to hunt deer/bear. I have killed whitetail with 139gr hornady sst (devasting on meat) I used trophy bonded bear claws from Federal on bear. Through the shoulders DRT. I have also used them on whitetail 30 yd tracking job. I have used handloads of 150 gr Nosler btips. They worked just fine. I think the best I have used for an all around bullet are partitions. The work great on deer, bear,etc. They aren't to hard for soft tissue shots either like bonded or corelokt. I have a preference of high shoulder shots so no issues with any of these but if you prefer lung/heart shots Partitions would do fine and double nicely for shoulder/bone or larger game.

Screw the Sierra, a bunch of us here out west ran 7mm Mag's for years. We killed a bunch of Mule deer and Elk with them. Then the majority of us went to big .30 cal's, Pick up premium ammo loaded with the Nosler Accubond and don't look back. I don't care what anyone says a 140gr Accubond is hell on Mule deer and will flat ruin a Elk's day at any respectable range.

After the .300 Ultra Mag came out it was hard to pass up for a out west long range cartridge. We hunt some big country, long shots, since the itroduction of the Ultra Mag line of cartridges I have used the .300, 7mm and my favorite the .375 Ultra for big game.

Here is a pic of where I hunt here in Central Washington, big country and big cartridges. You can shoot Mulies as far out as you and your rifle set up are capable of... It's a little over 900 yards to the edge of the first green field from where the pic was taken.

anything027.jpg

The only factory 7mag load that ever shot under 5 moa outta my rifle was the old Hornedy sst 162g boolits. I don't think they load those the same way anymore but its worth looking into.

But like was stated, The only way to tell if a bullet is gonna perform outta your rifle is to shoot it. Also don't forget that just cus It shoots well at 100 or 200, doesn't mean that that same bullet will make it out the distance with very much energy compaired to some of the slicker 7mm offerings.

We keep a 7mm in camp for clients that dont want to fly with a gun or have problems with what they brought.We have had great luck with 139 gr hornady light mags, We have taken countless aoudads which are very tough.We have even killed elk with them.The interlock bullet performs great.

I had very good luck with Winchester 150gr Ballistic Silvertips in a factory Sendero and a GAP 7RM. I found them at $15/box so I stocked up on them while the getting was good.

Also shot a few hundred of the HSM 168gr BTHP load. That stuff was pretty good, but hard to find.

CHRIS

Fed premium 160 grn accubonds.
Accurate in my rig and have taken up to cow bison cleanly.

I would like to try the HSM/168 Bergers. Anyone tried these?

i havnt found a rifle yet that didnt like hornady sst's, my dad is shooting the 139gr sst superformances in his 7mm and they are bad news on a whitetail, both the 300s i had loved them and my 243 loves the sst's too. good luck

I have a 7 rmag. Great shooting gun. Find out what your twist rate is and go from there. My Dads shoots 150-160gr Hornadys. I shoot the 162 Amax, 168 SMK and 175 SMK's. It shoots all those sub MOA. The 7mm has the highest BC's, velocities, lowest recoil of factory magnums.

I really like the federal premium 150 grain sierra boat tail soft point for whitetails. The 150 Fusions werent as accurate but did a good job on deer.

Double Tap quietly makes some great rifle ammo, their 140gr Accubond load has delivered amazing accuracy in my Rem 700 and is well priced to boot.

i have had real good luck with the 160 grain remington premier bonded. 150 remington core loks do ok but not as good as the 160's. i set out to find a better round several years ago and i tested several different manufactures 150-175 grain soft points. it all came back to the 160 premiers.