• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7saum and 180eldm

jaybigboy34

Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Anyone running a 7saum with the 180 eldms? With the 7.5 twist it's showing a bc on par with 338 cal bullets.

Reactions: Surferjoe
lmk where you find a 7.5 twist

i havent seen anyone run more than an 8. i know benchmark and bartlein dont even list a 7.5. kreiger lists a 7 and 7.5, but not on the shelf anywhere

using berger calculator.
2750fps
0 degrees and 0 ASL
1.59 stability

7.5 doesnt doesnt seem necessary

lmk where you find a 7.5 twist

i havent seen anyone run more than an 8. i know benchmark and bartlein dont even list a 7.5. kreiger lists a 7 and 7.5, but not on the shelf anywhere

using berger calculator.
2750fps
0 degrees and 0 ASL
1.59 stability

7.5 doesnt doesnt seem necessary
Hornady is claiming to get that big bc you need a 7.5 twist.

Hornady is claiming to get that big bc you need a 7.5 twist.
any faster twist is going to add to BC, same as velocity. but it gets to a point that it doesnt do much

i assume you're referencing ballisticsarc data for this?

if you want a 7.5 twist no one is gonna stop you, but honestly even a 9 twist should be fine

any faster twist is going to add to BC, same as velocity. but it gets to a point that it doesnt do much

i assume you're referencing ballisticsarc data for this?

if you want a 7.5 twist no one is gonna stop you, but honestly even a 9 twist should be fine
No i'm just going by what is on hornady website. I've heard someone else say that the 180eldm won't hold together when pushed hard.

There have been a few reported issues with 180s above 3100-3200 FPS. I had some on a 28 Nosler, and the Hornady reloading manual mentions a max rpm or something like that.

I’m still planning on throwing them in a 7SAUM I recently purchased that has a 9 twist at about 2900 FPS. Even at the lower BC they should have great trajectory. Just praying my rig likes them.

Reactions: xsn10s
I had the same question on twist rate when I was looking at a 7 SAUM build. Pretty much all of the reputable gunmakers we’re recommending the 1/9 twist for 180’s even though when using some of the calculators a faster twist was recommended.

I’m running 180’s in a 9 twist and can’t be happier. .370 g7 @ 2890fps. Have taken it out to 2010yds with excellent performance

K&p will make any twist you want. I always go faster than recommended. Never blew up a bullet yet. Even ran 58gr vmax in my 1:7 twist 243 at 4K fps.

I’m running 180’s in a 9 twist and can’t be happier. .370 g7 @ 2890fps. Have taken it out to 2010yds with excellent performance
I’m running an 8 twist at 3035 (7mag) and get the exact same BC of .370. Seems the extra twist isn’t doing much.

I had a 1:9 24” on my 7 mag I couldn’t get them to group for crap but I could only get 2800 FPS out of it. I switched to a 28” 1:8. they are shooting nicely now around 3000 FPS. I tried the 195 EOL with the 1:9 they wouldn’t stabilize either, sideways holes in my target.

The Berger 195 EOL’s shoot great in my 7saum with a 1:8.24 twist 28 inch proof carbon barrel. Right around .3 or so moa. I’ve went out to 1200 yards at K&M with them. Don’t know how they do on deer and elk yet.

I tried the fast twist mentality on a 7 SAUM with the 183 Sierra and shooting at a mile at sea level I saw very inconsistent results and zero increase in bc. This was on a 7 twist Barlein with a very accurate load. Switched over to the new 184 Berger and saw much more consistent results.

Although I cannot confirm this, it is my belief that the new Sierra Matchking bullets with the aggressive secant ogive just do not handle transonic speeds well and the fast twist did nothing to alleviate this.

Concerning the mystical bc that the 180 eld-m is supposed to conjure up using a fast twist, I'm not a believer. There isn't anything that supports this other than Hornady's claim. I would think the fast twist logic would apply to all long range projectiles and people shooting fast twists for caliber are not reporting significant increases in bc that I have seen. For the most part, Hornady's bc numbers are usually spot on and compare favorably with other manufacturers bullets of the same weight, so I'm not certain what makes the 180 eld-m so special.

I believe it's a great bullet and performs well with a standard twist for caliber using a g7 bc of around .360

Reactions: lennyo3034
I tried the fast twist mentality on a 7 SAUM with the 183 Sierra and shooting at a mile at sea level I saw very inconsistent results and zero increase in bc. This was on a 7 twist Barlein with a very accurate load. Switched over to the new 184 Berger and saw much more consistent results.

Although I cannot confirm this, it is my belief that the new Sierra Matchking bullets with the aggressive secant ogive just do not handle transonic speeds well and the fast twist did nothing to alleviate this.

Concerning the mystical bc that the 180 eld-m is supposed to conjure up using a fast twist, I'm not a believer. There isn't anything that supports this other than Hornady's claim. I would think the fast twist logic would apply to all long range projectiles and people shooting fast twists for caliber are not reporting significant increases in bc that I have seen. For the most part, Hornady's bc numbers are usually spot on and compare favorably with other manufacturers bullets of the same weight, so I'm not certain what makes the 180 eld-m so special.

I believe it's a great bullet and performs well with a standard twist for caliber using a g7 bc of around .360
1-7?
Wow!

I went with a 1-8 when I ordered my barrel.
I’m hoping it gets here in the next few weeks.

I would not go with a 1-7 for the 180eldm. I’m having them come apart in the air with a 1-8. Bartlein 5R.

We put together a "couple few" 7-300wm with 9tr, and run the 180eld-m. on two of them. I originally purchased Bartleins 8tr for the builds, but after interweb "research" added doubt and second guesses, switched to Brux 9tr. Two worrisome possibilities with 8tr ( and anything faster): (1) too many rpm's blowing the bullet apart at high fps (noted above)and (2) accuracy inexplicably falling out of bed after a few hundred rds or so. They were only worries, so I'm keen to see the experienced responses to this thread. I've found the 180 to consistently group under a 1/2moa from 2850 fps to 3025 fps in 8tr. By no means hot loads, but the barrel (Brux-I could not find Bartlein 9tr), tr, and bullet really play nice together. I stayed at 3025fps because ESs' were under 10. How will the internal ballistics of the 7saum change the results? I haven't experienced any 180's coming apart even beyond 1000yrds, nor any reduction in accuracy after 300rds, so my two worries are gone. The Bereger 168 vld at 3250fps has also produced very accurate results after several hundred rds. In my limited experience the 9tr is very good for the 7mm and an ideal choice for for the 180. I won't pay for a lesson but would like to know the results of the 7.5 tr.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: wildcats
With those velocities I would speculate you would be fine with a 1:9 my problem with the 24" I just couldn't get over 2815 fps worked fine with the 180 Berger VLD's target and Hunting but bad groups with the 180 and ELDm"s and the 195 EOL. With my new 28" tube I'm around 2950 so maybe I could have stayed with a 1;9 I just didn't want to take the chance. This 1:8 works great with the 162 ELD'M as well.

I run them in a 7wsm with a 9 twist at 3085 and they have been a great bullet. That being said, I've got plenty of friends who've had them blow up in other rounds, mainly at 3200+ though.

I run them in a 7wsm with a 9 twist at 3085 and they have been a great bullet. That being said, I've got plenty of friends who've had them blow up in other rounds, mainly at 3200+ though.
You getting those speeds in a short action?

Yes, they're way in the case, but it shoots really well. I've won a mile side match and a PRS ELR match with this gun so far.

I mocked up a 7 WSM at 2.94, pretty much all the bearing surface is buried.

Those are some good speeds regardless.
I’m looking forward to my 7 saum barrel.
Getting really close to quoted time.

This particular SAUM was running between 3085-3100 if I recall, but had a couple more inches of barrel than the WSM. Not sure I'd try to run one that fast again as it was hard on brass. It took 3rd in the same ELR match I won so it worked for the intended purpose.

Reactions: HMRamateur
Bartlein will cut you a 7mm 1-7.5. Had one and traded it before i built the rifle.