• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 8-32 or 5-22 nighforce for 50?

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
I'm trying to decide on which Nighforce scope to get for my 50bmg. I pretty well set on either the 8-32 or the 5-22. I like the extra magnification of the 32 for shooting out to 1000yds and beyond, but I will only have 65MOA instead of 100MOA on the 5-22. Any thoughts or opinions?

Re: 8-32 or 5-22 nighforce for 50?

Get the 5.5-22. Has plenty of magnification and you will want the extra elevation. I used one on a Chey Tac to shoot to 2000 yards on an MOA sized target. It will work fine on the .50.

I agree with Rob01. I have the 32X on my 7WSM and love the xtra magnification when shooting prone or off a bench in the right weather conditions, but with shots out to 2,000yds you will need the xtra come ups. Either way the Nightforce will not disapoint.

I would get the 8-32 myself. When the mirage is not too excessive I crank my scopes up for the longer shots. Our club puts targets out to 2 miles. Every little bit of power helps. I keep mine zeroed at 1000yds and just use hold over when shooting out any farther as targets out that far are not reactive.

I use a 5.5-22x56 on my Barrett and the Barrett came with a luppy 4.5-14 mark4 which served its purpose very well out to 1000yds. But back to the Nightforce and what 50 your talking about. In either case with 750 A-max and my rings set to level I get out to 1K without a problem and have enough elevation left over.
Barrett rings are adjustable to set whatever inclination you want. So if for some reason you are at the limits with the rings set all the way down you could re-adjust and then reset your zero. This way you have a way to keep the elevation closer to center when you go to 1000 or beyond.
There is a mount which has a micrometer adjustment that you use to adjust the MOA to get out to at least 3200 yds. I forget who makes it but I think on the FCSA site there is a article about it.
You should be ok with the 5.5x22 without a doubt, with the 8-32 or 12-42 I am not sure.