• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8.6 BLK Build

SilentHero

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Everyone,
Well I wasn't going to build another rifle after my three Tikka builds...then I heard about the 8.6 BLK. Ugh. I have a 12" barrel coming tomorrow from Faxon. So now I'm obsessed with what stock to put it in as well as on the hunt for an action.
  • I'm looking at the MDT LSS and the XLR Atom, both in the folding version. Are there any more worth considering? All others that I've found won't fit a Rem 700 SA or they require a Savage barrel nut.
  • Any preference between the MDT or XLR?
I have an MDT HNT26 for my 280AI Tikka, so I've been impressed with them. I don't think the Mg version of the XLR Atom is worth the extra cost since this gun is already quite small and light.

Any input would be welcomed!

Thank you,
Brian

I'd focus on finding dies....but what do I know
I don’t know what you know. 😜
I don’t reload yet. Wife and I are full-time RV, so until I have room, factory ammo is my go to. Hence why I don’t shoot the 280AI much and shoot the 308 more.

You'll save a ton on factory 8.6BLK ammo by there not being any.

Good news is you have plenty of time to pick a stock before you find the ammo anywhere. I'm super into messing with it, but you really need to load it yourself (or pay Discrete or Gorilla $3 a round whenever they actually have it).

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2
You'll save a ton on factory 8.6BLK ammo by there not being any.

Good news is you have plenty of time to pick a stock before you find the ammo anywhere. I'm super into messing with it, but you really need to load it yourself (or pay Discrete or Gorilla $3 a round whenever they actually have it).
Yeah, I figured by the time they come out with dies and brass, I’ll have purchased some land and can start reloading. Lol!
In the mean time, I’ll continue to shoot 308 until the ammo god’s grace is with pills. Maybe some cheaper gas while they’re at it. Pulling a 44’ fifth wheel behind a dually is getting pricey. I guess I could stop building erroneous guns, but where’s the fun in that. Let’s go Brandon.

Yeah, it's a Cyclone 4214 toy hauler with a GVWR of 20,000lbs. I think we are at 16,700 though, 30k+ with the F350 dually. Speaking of what we know or don't know, I know that I'm tired of hauling this around and want to downsize to a truck camper. With Starlink, I can get internet just about anywhere now, so now I just need a rig that I can take anywhere.

I have a Remage style build for my 8.6.

I am using JTAC Industries chassis.

Screeching Owl.jpg

I have a Remage style build for my 8.6.

I am using JTAC Industries chassis.

View attachment 7885221
Nice, I found this one a few days ago and really like the telescoping rifle butt stock vs. the folder.
How did you come about the CA action?
I was considering just doing a build off the MPP, but seems silly to pay $2100 and pull off a carbon barrel though.

Reactions: Surma-T
Nice, I found this one a few days ago and really like the telescoping rifle butt stock vs. the folder.
How did you come about the CA action?
I was considering just doing a build off the MPP, but seems silly to pay $2100 and pull off a carbon barrel though.
I found a place that has stripped CA receivers. Let me know if you want to link. Just PM.

I got this brace, because you can adjust check well up and down with a few positions.

I did not know about 375 Raptor, I am guessing not enough publicity for the cartridge. I have a few Q products, and I am a youtube watcher. I mainly see 8.6 on my channels. I did see 375 Raptor after I bought the barrel.

For me personally, it sounded like there was going to be a larger adoption of the cartridge, thus more ammo options. I don’t reload as of yet, so factory availability is key. Kinda why I chose 280AI over 7 SAUM, almost identical balistics, but I walked into Bass Pro as one point and picked up three boxes of 280AI and there was my decision. The 8.6 having a choice of sub and super was big too. The thought of being able to take a 12” barrel out to 1000yds was appealing. Not sure the Raptors ability though.

Any fancy expanding subsonic for the raptor? Because the 8.6 will have them guaranteed…
I'm sure there are more than this, but a 5 second Google search turned up these:

Ok. So maker has a projectile. You’re right—I didn’t google it.

You can use a 9mm can for .338 subsonic and it sounds really really good. I’ve run a bunch of 338 subsonic through 9mm cans personally. This is not conjecture.

They are suggesting using a 45acp pistol suppressor for the raptor. Many 45acp pistol suppressors are designed to retain a liquid ablative as a design feature. Others are just scaled up 9mm baffle designs. I have my doubts on them sounding as good. Or frankly very close.

Does anyone here have any useful experience in how well it surpresses and sounds?

Here I’ll do all the work for you just Google black collar arms on YouTube or 375 raptor on YouTube and look for black collar arms and you’ll see everything you need to see

Last edited:
Known

Reflex cans are dumb and unnecessary. That AB can makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Raptor is louder than any .338 subs through a 9mm suppressor. Which is lighter in weight.

Raptor will push an extra 100gn subsonically.

Raptor requires a new suppressor purchase

Unknown
Supersonic performance comparison

Reactions: Bandit320
I was inspired by Dragonetti's build, and went with the same chassis, but want to go with a folding stock, does anyone have any recommendations for a SF 1913 pic rail stock that has a bit of a buttpad?

You can try an:

or

Something from Sig:

You can try an:

or

Something from Sig:
I saw that Black collar is restocking their side folder for the pork sword this month and trying it out, that sig adjustable is a close second.

I saw that Black collar is restocking their side folder for the pork sword this month and trying it out, that sig adjustable is a close second.

I have my pork sword on order currently. They said I should have e it by 3 week in July hopefully. Running 6 slot rail and 12" barrel with 1913 pistol brace. Kinda wish I went cheaper but I can always do that next time. For now it's just a paperweight until I buy action in Sept.

I had an Occam defense side folder to get the rifle zeroed, no recoil pad, you're gonna want a recoil pad as its a stout recoil. Also the screech owl 10.5" handgaurd is a smidge too long with the tapered barrel.

Attachments

• 20220702_144254.jpg
    20220702_144254.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 124
I just got the Q Cherry Bomb for the M18x1.5 threads. I wonder if they are going to come out with a new plan b mount for this. I would like to get a Dead Air Primal for the suppression. I dont think their porkchop suppressor is coming out anytime soon.

I just got the Q Cherry Bomb for the M18x1.5 threads. I wonder if they are going to come out with a new plan b mount for this. I would like to get a Dead Air Primal for the suppression. I dont think their porkchop suppressor is coming out anytime soon.
I have a primal in process. I contacted Q a week ago and asked about a Plan B XL, it's coming but no time line. They weren't willing to give up the thread pattern on the outter mounting surface either. If push comes to shove I'm gonna get deadairs direct thread mount, Elk season is just under 4 months away.

Black collar emailed back. Pork sword are about late July arrival to pre orders. Super excited. They had way more pre-orders than expected

I have a primal in process. I contacted Q a week ago and asked about a Plan B XL, it's coming but no time line. They weren't willing to give up the thread pattern on the outter mounting surface either. If push comes to shove I'm gonna get deadairs direct thread mount, Elk season is just under 4 months away.

Yeah, would be nice for them to give up some dates. The Cherry Bomb is already out. I am guessing they will make a few different thread pitches. The Primal is the same thread pitch as the Omega if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, would be nice for them to give up some dates. The Cherry Bomb is already out. I am guessing they will make a few different thread pitches. The Primal is the same thread pitch as the Omega if I am not mistaken.
It's the Ghost M pattern for the Plan B, but I'm not gonna get another muzzle device as I like the Plan B and everything else is so heavy. With a pound can like the primal I don't need a 5 oz device.

needs a different hinge, but there she is.

Sig Cross stock ended up being cheaper than the Black collar arms and balances the rifle like a charm

Attachments

• vhabUfe.jpg
    vhabUfe.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: Dragonetti
Is this a faxon barrel on ur gun or no reason I ask is I just ordred mine and it will b here next week and I am needing to know wat aftermarket action it will work on so I can buy one thanks
If you bought the faxon barrel, that will work with any rem700 pattern action. You'll see some actions say "small shank" and that's a savage thread pattern. You want remmington pattern.
For example, factory and aftermarket receivers using the Remington 700 footprint are produced with various types of action threads, all with a 26.99 mm (1+1⁄16 in) diameter, but with a pitch of either a 1.588 mm (16 TPI, Remington standard), 1.411 mm (18 TPI) or 1.270 mm (20 TPI, Savage standard).
Any action with a 1 1/16x 16 tpi will fit the faxon remage barrels.

There's a multitude of options to choose from, but if your budget concious and don't want to drop $1k+ on just an action (let's face it, this isn't a precision rifle cartridge) you can do as I did and bought a replacement rem700 short action off gunbroker for 500 bucks. And it came with bolt and trigger.

The thread pattern is for Remington 700 Thread Pitch, which I believe is 1.062 by 16 TPI.

Savage Short Shank is 1.055 by 20 TPI.

They are not compatible.
Yeah all he was asking is if it was a faxon barrel and what actions fit it. Thus why I posted the thread pitch of a rem700 action