Gunsmithing 8. HOW-TO: Ultimate AR Adjustable Gas Block

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Part 8:

For those that use the JP Adjustable Gas Blocks (& some other brands), I don't like the single set screw that is supposed to be secured with Locktite (which breaks down under high heat, like a gas block).

So I add an extra set screw that locks the gas adjustment screw...

DSC00073.jpg

DSC03240.jpg

PS: I also always use a CLAMP on style gas block in a small (.750" or smaller dia.) barrel, as I've heard of the set screw type actually deforming the bore of the barrel when tightened.

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
Re: 8. HOW-TO: Ultimate AR Adjustable Gas Block

nice mod. i am getting a PRI gas block. makes me wonder just how adjustable it is when they advise using loctite on the screw.

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri

Axeman...

If you are building a precision AR, I would look at some of the clamp on blocks, instead of the setscrew type.

They WILL deform the bore, no way around it....... if it's enough to matter, I can't say, but I like to remove all the question marks I can.

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri

JP makes several models, and there's another knock off of the JP aluminum railed model, but I can't remember who makes it.

dmg308

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2005
Manassas Va,USA

I drill taper pins on all gas blocks no better way IMO.Your set screw mod is a good step.

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri

dmg308...

On a combat gun, I agree, nothing is better than taper pins.

But, this is a match gun only and will probably be apart many times in it's life, new barrel once a year, etc, etc.

And, from an engineering standpoint, for PURE accuracy, the pins WILL deform the bore slightly.....again, no-one MAY ever be able to tell, but a question mark none the less.

dighawaii

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2005
Hawaii
www.dighawaii.com

What an excellent idea you have. I wished my JP Precision gas block came with a set screw. It would have saved me from going to the local hardware store to get a replacement.

pappy42

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Texas

Some high dollar barrel providers dimple barrels for set screw retained type gas bock. I think that they wouldn't do that if they thought the set screw(s) would deform the bore and cause accuracy problems.

I do like the the set screw mod for the gas adjusting screw.

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri

Pappy42--

Honestly, on a normal bull barreled gun with the larger dia. (OVER .750") gas block boss, it would probably never deform enough to matter, but why have a question mark on a $600+ Kreiger barrel? The more of these question marks I can remove, the better I like it.