• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

80 gr. Bullet at 2900?

crowdog7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Northern Colorado
Hey Frank!
Several times on the podcast you've mentioned that a .223 firing a 77-80 grain bullet at 2900 fps can do petty well at distance. What kind of a load are you using? The best I've been able to do is 2775 with 80 gr. Hornady ELD Match & 26.2 gr. of 2000-MR. Even that's showing pressure signs & I'm wondering if I'll be able to shoot that load in the summer heat.

A longer barrel length might allow for enough to clear that hurdle.
What length are you running?

2950 is easy enough to get from a 26" barrel provided the chamber is set up to put bullet in right spot. You'll be a lot closer to 2.525 - 2.550" OAL though with the 75-80 VLD / ELD so you'll need a magazine system that will allow for the longer OAL.

Yup, gotta have the freebore to sit a long bullet out where it ain't crowding powder capacity.
My .223AI is 26", 75AMAX @ 3105 is barely a warm load, and makes for a competitive and FUN match rifle.
Run an MDT 10rd (single stack) polymer magazine, it allows plenty of room for 75-80s, seated where they need to be...

I guess it's been a while since I checked in! LOL!
I'm shooting a RPR with a 20" barrel. The Hornady ELDs are seated .010" off the lands, which gives me an over all length of 2.385". The MDT mags will allow me to go out to around 2.550", so it looks like I need a longer barrel, chambered for a longer OAL.
Thanks for the responses.

A Wylde is about as long as most .223 shooters need, but something in the 80-110 freebore range can certainly have uses in a bolt gun.

Now, while you are DOING...if you do...may as well get yourself a 7.0" twist 26". That will allow you to run everything except the 90's, which is not particularly advisable in .223 anyway (speaking from some experience).

-Nate