• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Tactical latex.

I half expected this to be a thread dedicated to these:

mcamo-condom.jpg

Josh

I use balloons at the range I go to. Not nearly as boring as paper, and if the wind gets them unclipped, it becomes a fun target to track.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use balloons at the range I go to. Not nearly as boring as paper, and if the wind gets them unclipped, it becomes a fun target to track. </div></div>
That was the motivation, stationary targets a great up to a point but then there is always a new skill to hone. Be it hunting or combat the target is often mobile and not predictable.

Working on a simple balloon release for upwind locations. Also going to place some 1/2# tannerite targets with flour sacks on top of them for "incoming shells" to be set off by a second shooter, just to make it interesting. Hopefully there will be enough people to get photo's to post.

</div></div>

Sounds like a good time, but I'd be careful setting up tannerite like that. Depending on how energetic it is it might be able to ignite the flour which will lead to a larger explosion than you intend. Unless that was what you were going for; in which case, carry on and be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DPRoberts said:
Speaking of fire hazard, yet another project is to fill a balloon with hydrogen and oxygen from a fuel cell. Intended to be hit with tracer ammo. Lots of issues to work out on that one. </div></div>

If you have an oxy/acetylene torch and balloons you can make some dandy explosions. Tracers work well for ignition.

But the acetylene slowly leaks out of the balloons, so you have to blow them within 20 minutes or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....Used shotguns ( easy ) and the AR ( not so easy ) to shoot them down. </div></div>

Sounds like a blast.

Now I'm just imagining a high volume of 5.56mm being thrown up into the air at a balloon and tracer rounds zigzagging through the sky anywhere other than the “high desert”.
smile.gif

Must be one sweet range setup with lots of nice space you’ve got to be able to do that safely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. I will have to try that. Sounds like a pretty good drill in place of movers. </div></div>I also think so

I was always wondering how i was going to haul milk jugs up to a new shooting range i found while on my dirt bike... now i know i can just take baloons.
blush.gif
Not sure why I never thought about them but they are small light and cheap. and they are reactive so they give a very definate hit or miss.

Oh and yes when i first read the title of the thread i was waiting for the camo condoms as well.

Im about an hour or so outside of Boise. My usual shooting range is about 300 yards. I could probably squeeze 400 out if i tried. but for now 300 is fine. the place i want to go I could easily get past 1000 yards. Its up ontop of Thorne Creek Summit if you know where that is. I can sit up on the summit itself and shoot down at a decent angle. Always windy and high elevation. To me it sounds like a perfect place for a noobie to learn. (even though a 1000 yard shot is out of the picture for me but still)

You can drive, ive seen trucks with mid sized trailers up there, its just when i take the dirt bike i can take a direct route up. No winding and traversing throughout the hills, i just hit the trail and go. Its 14 or 15 miles but its about a 30-45 minute dirt bike ride if you keep going and if you drove im guessing you could add another 30 minutes to your trip

I hate to be a debbie downer, but just remember not to track the balloons too high, don't want to be cranking off rounds into the sky and have them land who knows where.

I´ve been shooting balloons for over 10 yrs!
The trick is to blow and tie a knot, then pierce the "lip" or the baloon to fit a rock snugly and hold it in place.
In my experience if I place the rock inside the baloon, it makes hard contact with the ground, bursting.