• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

8mm rem mag

dhofert

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
Hey guys,
I am new to reloading and have a few hundred pistol rounds done. But what I am looking for are suggestions for bullets and powder for my 8mm rem mag. I dont plan on using it for hunting as of now, just want to work my way up in range. I know that it is not the ideal cal to be precision shooting with but I enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated

Ok thanks guys I kinda figured that...someday I will have me something a little more reasonable to play with, but for now I will enjoy my shoulder being hit by a truck cause it is fun to shoot in moderation

No never heard of it. Thought a gun board was made for asking questions? Guess this one ain't for me. Might just have to stick to pistols because overall on both long range shooting sites I have joined I've been bashed either for asking a simple question or hated on for using the 8
are you familiar with this thing called goggle?

Don't leave, I'd bet many here have no knowledge whatsoever, myself included, just the STW as mentioned. The cartridge has been virtually obsolete for so long? As for the long range forums, I'm sure use of it is limited just because of bullet selection, this is long range crap, and that big of a bullet with low bc is about worthless.
I'm sure the case has merit, it's just with heavy 30's and 338 bullets pushing .900 bc's , not many are looking it's way.

I get that was just put off by the smart a $$ Google comment. It shoots pretty flat for what I have room to do. 50yds is about as far as I can get. I knew it wasn't the best choice for what I was planning to do but it's a beautiful gun and I love it. Again someday I will get me a ,308 as soon as I get off my 1911 addiction

The 8 Rem is not a popular cartridge, no longer factory offered. A 375 H&H necked down to 32 caliber its kinda of a bastard cartridge, I know Boddington uses this caliber often and praises it. The introduction of the 325wsm you now have a better bullet selection rather then using what was available for 8mm Mauser. I would not consider it a great long range cartridge because of bullet availability and lower ballistic coefficients.

This board is catered for long range precision shooting and I highly doubt many here have experience with the 8mm, I would suggest accuratereloading.com or 24hrcampfire like suggested above. I'm sure you will get more information and data for the 8 on those two sites.

Wish I could help out more, but have only fondled them and have never shot one.

Ok I will check hem out. However I will continue to lurk around here for techniques and such which have already been a great help

If you think you're butting heads, I have 2 friends that have developed a new 296 caliber, with one decent, and one really good barrel maker onboard, and Matrix making bullets. The opposition these guys have come up against is unreal!

Hey guys,
I am new to reloading and have a few hundred pistol rounds done. But what I am looking for are suggestions for bullets and powder for my 8mm rem mag. I dont plan on using it for hunting as of now, just want to work my way up in range. I know that it is not the ideal cal to be precision shooting with but I enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated

Stick to slow burning powders, generally IMR4350 and slower and a lot of it. There are a few match bullets in 8mm. Check out shooters proshop they may have some 200 grain Match overruns. IIRC Hornady makes (made) some 196??? grain match too. Dont forget the 220 grain Sierra either.

Almost forgot, Swift is coming out with a 190gr (.323) Swift Scirocco 2 in July.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...190-grain-bonded-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100

Last edited: