• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 9+6=15 Common Core. Are you fucking kidding me?

That's what I'm saying.

Am I the only person who DOES think that's a better way of teaching it?
It seems good to you because you've learned all these things already. But imagine going back to the kids stage of knowledge. Doing 9+6 they're still on single digit addition, they probably haven't covered much subtraction, division, multiplication, algebra and what is actually being asked of the child is to start by finding what number turns 9 into 10 which is algebra (9+X=10, X=10-9, X=1), then you are expecting the kid to actually know all of the addition pairs that make up a number, then match that up with the algebra you solved, then hope you didn't mess anything up when re-writing the equation and get back to doing the simple addition you were supposed to do in the beginning. This is a tool that I think is useful for some kids but not all and I think it's more useful once they are older and still struggling. But I don't see someone who can't figure out 9+6, who had hopefully at least 15 digits between hands and feet, can grasp algebra and breaking apart a number into addition pairs

The common core mathematics system scares me. Not from a "I can't understand it" view, but more from a parent of a son in third grade. When my son brings home homework and he tries to explain all the necessary steps to solve a 3 digit subtraction problem and he can't remember them I have a problem with the system. He has always been in advanced classes and this new way of teaching is suffering him. He repeatedly tells me his teacher cannot work out the steps to problems they do together as a class and then falls back to traditional mathematics to come to an answer. I have looked over his work and can only shake my head at the nonsense that the students are being taught. I'm an engineering technician at work and have to use math daily in my work duties along with mechanical and robotic systems. I've brought his homework into work and showed the engineers some of the problems that he is having trouble with and truthfully are baffling me, and they have problems with it as well. What is the point of this system? From the standpoint of a concerned father, this is trash.