• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

#90 MIL to MOA conversion arm bar

Jack Master

Smile and Dial
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2018
Here
www.snipershide.com
Here is a quick graphical chart for the MIL to MOA conversion for an arm bar. Print your size for your arm bar.

This chart ends at 10moa/3mil. its a good re-starting place for the adding. Example; 4mil = 10moa +1mil = 10moa + 3.5 = 13.5moa.

Mills to MOA conversion graphically.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wtmyers
It's a minute of man thing

Thaks for the quick head math option.
I get it, its a quick dirty short cut. Good for minute of man. But...a 308, 175gr going 2800fps in a 10mph wind @90deg have a 2mil wind call at 1000yds. ( i think)
As you have noted, Quite often your range in CO has 15 to 20 mph winds. That makes the wind call 3 to 4 mil at 1000. Using the "minute of man" version and calling 4 mills to be 16 moa will make the wind call off by .6mils or 2.25moa. 0.6mil at 1000 is 21+ inches. Even a 10mph wind will be 10+ inches (as bad as MOA vs 1" at 100yds) Being off by 21 inches is barely minute of man. Shooting a 2 moa competition target would be a real issue.

I can see using the short cut when dealing with shorter ranges or less wind, but sometimes, in a game of precision, we all need the real number.

we don't teach it, cause, to be honest, nobody uses a mixed scope anymore

I have not seen a mixed scope in ages, and to be honest, most people shooting mixed scopes are not very good to begin with.

Distance gives you time and opportunity, not to mention if you miss with the first round you can "read the reticle and adjust" via your position and FoM

Our wind work is much more precise and we have a very high hit percentage after the fact, if i can get a guy with a 270 Hunting Rifle to go 3 for 3 at 1000 yards, I think I am good

On the line, if you are doing any longhand math or need to figure this stuff out via math, you already lost.

Reactions: wtmyers
we don't teach it, cause, to be honest, nobody uses a mixed scope anymore

I have not seen a mixed scope in ages, and to be honest, most people shooting mixed scopes are not very good to begin with.

Distance gives you time and opportunity, not to mention if you miss with the first round you can "read the reticle and adjust" via your position and FoM

Our wind work is much more precise and we have a very high hit percentage after the fact, if i can get a guy with a 270 Hunting Rifle to go 3 for 3 at 1000 yards, I think I am good

On the line, if you are doing any longhand math or need to figure this stuff out via math, you already lost.

I totally agree with all that. Plus, you are good. Its more for the guys on the line with a moa/moa scope and all the other fellas are calling wind in Mils. or for Mike having an MOA guy mixed in with the mostly Mil group. The 270 fella was impressive.

I don't know how Mike corrected him, it was more about him asking for holds that others were using, I know if I tell a shooter to use 2 Mils for wind, I will start the MOA guys at 7 MOA.

Based on how Eddie Shot, I would say there was no issue with wind hold conversions, and there usually is not, as we speak to the students in the language of their scopes. Eddie asking Mike to convert was probably done in Mike's head.

During the PPT in the class, they get this information already

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 11.27.36 AM.png

We don't wing it in class we give them actual data,

Reactions: Jack Master
PS, Eddie's scope was not mixed, it was just MOA / MOA and he felt disadvantaged as most used Mils on the line

I had MOA guys on my side too, and the question never came up beyond, asking for a recommended hold when gathering data.

Reactions: Jack Master
Another use would be when using the adjustable scope bases like the ERA-TAC ones since the elevation changes are listed in MOA
Assuming you are using a Mil scope like most these days.

Thaks for the quick head math option.
I get it, its a quick dirty short cut. Good for minute of man. But...a 308, 175gr going 2800fps in a 10mph wind @90deg have a 2mil wind call at 1000yds. ( i think)
As you have noted, Quite often your range in CO has 15 to 20 mph winds. That makes the wind call 3 to 4 mil at 1000. Using the "minute of man" version and calling 4 mills to be 16 moa will make the wind call off by .6mils or 2.25moa. 0.6mil at 1000 is 21+ inches. Even a 10mph wind will be 10+ inches (as bad as MOA vs 1" at 100yds) Being off by 21 inches is barely minute of man. Shooting a 2 moa competition target would be a real issue.

I can see using the short cut when dealing with shorter ranges or less wind, but sometimes, in a game of precision, we all need the real number.
Using the same basic wind for your bullet as the guys using MILS, just multiply the first number of the yard line by 0.3 That will give you a starting point for MOA.

It really doesn't need to be any harder than that.

So a bullet that is a "6" in a 6 mph wind would be 1.5MOA at 500 yards, 2.1 MOA at 700 yards etc.

Eddie here I stuck a reply to this in "winds off" oops if your interested on how I did the conversions.
Cheers

Here is a quick graphical chart for the MIL to MOA conversion for an arm bar. Print your size for your arm bar.

This chart ends at 10moa/3mil. its a good re-starting place for the adding. Example; 4mil = 10moa +1mil = 10moa + 3.5 = 13.5moa.

View attachment 6935213
I

View attachment 6935213
I posted in the "winds off" by accident if you want to

View attachment 6935213
I use 1mil=3.5 moa if we know that then .5mil=1.75moa .1=.25 .2=.75 .3=1.
1.8 mil for me is 7moa -.75moa= 6.25 cheat 6min in to the wind and shoot it. Hope that helps that arm bar would be tough for me but if it works for you run it.

arm bar would be tough for me but if it works for you run it.
Thanks for the info. Pretty close to what Frank does too.
I think this is mostly for the new guys that need to convert quickly. And Mike made a comment in the pod cast he was trying to run an equation and get an arm bar for quick reference but didn't have any luck at it. I think having this around would just eliminate the head math.

Gentlemen,

When Eddie and I drove to CO for the MH Detachment training we discussed the MOA wind conversion and adjustment.

We both agreed that the instructors would have a full plate to deal with in regards to making wind calls for the students.
Given the variety of Calibers, Scopes, shooter experience etc.

The thought process was that Mike & Frank could make the call and Eddie would convert it himself to MOA and make said correction.

Eddie accomplished this with speed and efficiency.

At no time did he ever feel 'disadvantaged' with his MOA/MOA scope. And I never heard him make this comment weather it was
at training or during our long trip home.

I believe he fully understands the advantages of using MIL's when everyone else is. Kind of like speaking the native language when
you travel to a foreign country.

In fact it is my belief that a shooter or spotter who can make wind calls or adjustments in both MIL & MOA in their head quickly,
is and will be a better 'rounded' shooter.

I hope everyone has a safe and productive day!

Chet