• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.920 low profile gas block???

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
so I've got a DPMS with a .920 gas block that I want to free float...I can't find a.920 low profile gas block anywhere. At this point, I don't care if it's adjustable or not. Any suggestions?

Are you sure that isn't .935"? .920 is not a standard size...

I have taken a smaller diameter gas block and taken it to an automotive machine shop and had it opened up to my required dimensions on a connecting rod honing machine. They set the machine to the specs you need and it will open up to the size you want. The last one I did was for a proprietary gas block for a barrel from Alexander arms. The shop charged me $ 15.00 it was fast and easy problem solved.

Do you have a front post sight on it? If so then just shave it down. I've done this with my last two free floats. Its free, doesn't take too much work and is rock solid since it's pinned on.

I have taken a smaller diameter gas block and taken it to an automotive machine shop and had it opened up to my required dimensions on a connecting rod honing machine. They set the machine to the specs you need and it will open up to the size you want. The last one I did was for a proprietary gas block for a barrel from Alexander arms. The shop charged me $ 15.00 it was fast and easy problem solved.

I may have to try that!

Yes. I've done two of them. Both are fully under keymod rails which are very slim.

What did you use, just an ordinary grinding wheel? I'm thinking I'll only need to take off the top rail section. My rail is 1.8" id. Any sections I need to be extra careful with?

thanks all for helping out!

Last edited:
What did you use, just an ordinary grinding wheel? I'm thinking I'll only need to take off the top rail section. My rail is 1.8" id. Any sections I need to be extra careful with?

thanks all for helping out!

i used a grinding wheel for the rough work and then a dremel for the finishing work. Just go slow as you get closer down so you don't accidentally shave off too much. It was pretty easy overall