• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 92FS/Serpa help please

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
Today at my local shop I was looking at a Serpa for the 92/M9 with a small pancake that came with it that had MOLLE straps and 2 places to slide your belt thru. The front of the pancake was a multi-angle mount. The total price was $20.

There was a $119 drop leg modular setup as well.

Problem - the $20 setup fit the pistol way way tight, to the point of it being very hard to remove, even with the retention screw backed all the way off. The $119 unit on the other hand the M9 slid in and out like it was riding on Crisco.

What gives? Are there two classes of Serpa? Thanks.

Re: 92FS/Serpa help please

Serpas are junk anyway. Get yourself a decent holster and just forget you ever made this post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What gives? Are there two classes of Serpa? Thanks. </div></div>

Yup. Two classes.

Junk and Crap.

Dont know much more than that.

Serpa's rock, you guys who think they are junk are just elitist...

Yes there are different kinds to suit the level for LE.

Once you get the one, you can move it around anyway you like, you can get the Molle retention set up for $7 and works really good, cross deck the Serpa to suit any situation.

I use the heck out of the Serpas and have 0 issues no matter what the elitist say.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serpa's rock, you guys who think they are junk are just elitist... </div></div>

You rang...

You're probably using some stiff crappy Safariland trash... that won't come off your thigh, hence you're jealous of my infinite versatility
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Safariland trash... </div></div>

Actually no. Not for games anyway. Blade Tech with thumb-break if rolling/running around and one without a thumb-break for most matches.

*Unless* I am in the desert. Then it is a Safariland 6005. I will admit that I do have a Serpa sttached to the front of my vest. But we dont use vests much while flying.

Sorry about the thread drift Leo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're probably using some stiff crappy Safariland trash... that won't come off your thigh, hence you're jealous of my infinite versatility
smile.gif
</div></div>

Actually, I am currently using Blade Tech and Comp-Tac depending on the firearm. But there's no question that the Safariland 6004 is the undisputed standard for thigh holsters.

Get a blade tech - love mine.

They are made in Lakewood washington FYI - good people there!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serpas are junk anyway. Get yourself a decent holster and just forget you ever made this post. </div></div>

I think a lot of Blackhawk stuff is shit (jesus, the gloves are a fucking rip off..), but the Serpa is a great holster. A great value, too.

Naw Tom this is all good. I too am trying to support multiple configs. On one hand I need it as a strong side belt for a friend to use gaming, but the damned pistol will not come out of the holster in the $20 one. Clearly the two I had were intentionally made differently, or their quality control sucks that bad.

I have begun to see the value of the retention system when you involve the possibility of hand-to-hand struggle. Learning how to take the other guy's pistol away makes one realize how vulnerable we are to having OURS taken away if it were not drawn.

If you're concerned about retention when carrying concealed, you need to get a smaller pistol and/or a better concealment holster, not rely on a mechanical lock that may fail to do the job.

The last thing I ever want to do is end up in a fight for my life where someone taking my pistol is possible. I alleviate that possibility by doing a good job of concealing it, not relying on mechanical mechanisms.

Cops rely on fancy holsters because they go into harm's way every day and must wear their firearm on their side. I am not so constrained and thus I have no use for a bulky holster that is hard to draw from, but offers me a fighting chance if I do end up in that fight.

My job as a non-police officer is to avoid that fight at all costs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The last thing I ever want to do is end up in a fight for my life where someone taking my pistol is possible. </div></div>

Living in a state that has no concealed carry permits I take it you are speaking anecdotally rather from experience, either past or potential future.

How many gun fights have you been in? When is the last time you had to defend yourself with your hands? Please, enlighten us oh so rapid to opine one.

I've always considered thumb breaks death traps. I like the Serpa for range days and hiking. For concealment I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. The kydex on either can be heated up to tighten or loosen it up if you need to, just don't melt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Living in a state that has no concealed carry permits I take it you are speaking anecdotally rather from experience, either past or potential future.

How many gun fights have you been in? When is the last time you had to defend yourself with your hands? Please, enlighten us oh so rapid to opine one. </div></div>

You're wrong about the former point, and the answer to your questions have nothing to do with the topic of this post. You asked about a holster and you were told by multiple posters that it's a cheap piece of crap and that's why it doesn't fit your pistol well. What else is there to hash out in this thread?

There are plenty of retention holsters on the market. If you want one, go ahead and buy one. I wont stop you. I might even suggest which ones to look at.

I actually saw a Chicago Police Officer (plain clothes) wearing a Serpa last weekend (with a Glock 19 in it). I actually commented to my girlfriend (after he walked away) that I was pretty shocked that any legitimate police department would allow him to use such a crappy holster while on duty.

If you want to buy junk, that's your business and obviously we'd be fools to stop you. But shouldn't it be obvious if a holster lacks sufficient tolerances to draw one's firearm smoothly and quickly, that it's insufficient for <span style="font-style: italic">any </span>use where self defense is anticipated?

I actually think the concept of the Serpa is a good idea. Unfortunately, the execution sucks.

Oh, and in case you misplaced your dictionary, "experience" is just as "anecdotal" as reading someone else's story and reposting it. But, considering I've posted in this very forum about concealed carry, what I carry, and what kind of equipment I use, I figured it ought to be obvious from where I drew information. With that said, it's all anecdotal. I don't claim to have a Ph.D in holster use, and I haven't examined some lengthy empirical study on the use of the Serpa holster. I have, however, talked with Soldiers in Iraq that wish for a different holster in which to carry their Berettas into combat. I haven't claimed that I made some sort of scientific investigation or subjected their <span style="font-style: italic">anecdotes </span>to the scientific method. I can (and have) said that I've taken a look at the product myself and listened to the first hand accounts of both people who enjoy the product and people who hate it. I have determined, subjectively, that it lacks the quality necessary for anything other than "non social" purposes.

If you disagree, so be it. But you won't catch me relying on it. It's fine if you disagree. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

DZ, are you some form of LE or federal agency where your employment allows you to carry concealed in Illinois?

I used the SERPA drop leg in Iraq. Worked great for me. I used a Safariland Duty holster for a while at Camp Lejeune PMO. Not as good. It was junk. Way to stiff and hard to get the pistol out. Of course it was Level 3 so It had 3 retention pieces. The thumb hood, the thumb button and you had to rock the pistol back before it would come loose. I have since switched to the Level 3 SERPA for Duty. Very nice. the Hood is operated by the thumb then just use the trigger finger to work the button and draw. Very easy. Just my opinion though. I would use a SERPA any day. I like a nice leather holster too. I would just try to see what each holster feels like for your pistol before purchasing. Good Luck.

Tons of guys from the high speed low drag groups come around wearing SERPAs with no issues.. I wouldn't say it is a good option for concealed carry, but it is a good holster regardless of the bs that is passed around as fact.

They work as advertised and are quite versatile, I have yet to have an issue with one, with lots of use, not just random wear when the mood strikes me.

i had the serpa paddle hoslter you are referring to over my last 2 deployments and loved it. It allowed my pistol to sit on my belt with plenty of room between it and my plate carrier. It was a plus for me as i dont like shit all over my legs when i have all my gear on. As far as the pistol being tight in there, it will loosen up over time

I bought a Serpa for my Ed Brown, the dam thing was so tight it literally took 2 hands to pull it from the holster. It went into the trash. Expensive lesson learned. For my use it was a piece of crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
NineHotel said:
I actually saw a Chicago Police Officer (plain clothes) wearing a Serpa last weekend (with a Glock 19 in it). I actually commented to my girlfriend (after he walked away) that I was pretty shocked that any legitimate police department would allow him to use such a crappy holster while on duty.

If you want to buy junk, that's your business and obviously we'd be fools to stop you. But shouldn't it be obvious if a holster lacks sufficient tolerances to draw one's firearm smoothly and quickly, that it's insufficient for <span style="font-style: italic">any </span>use where self defense is anticipated?

I actually think the concept of the Serpa is a good idea. Unfortunately, the execution sucks.

</div></div>

I have 2, one for an XD, and one for a 1911. Both fit the weapons perfectly, and I can draw smoothly and quickly.

What were the complaints the guys in Iraq had with the 92? Couldn't draw it? Breakage?

Just curious. You sure seem to hate it for a guy that never had one.

It's not a fanny pack...

http://www.concealcarry.org/owners-say-law-lets-them-tote-guns-in-fanny-packs/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Serpa for my Ed Brown, the dam thing was so tight it literally took 2 hands to pull it from the holster. It went into the trash. Expensive lesson learned. For my use it was a piece of crap. </div></div>

Wow, I would have just returned it. That's just me.

I would offer the idea that maybe just mayyyyyyyyyybe some items no matter what sort of product may have lemons come along now an then.
IE: I bought a safariland 6004, which is a good level 3 holster. It was fitted for my firearm couldnt get it to fit, I sent it back to safariland and it was found to be out of spec, was replaced and new one was good to go.
That pistol has since been replaced and no longer fits that holster. I replaced it with a SERPA lvl III and love it! Also had the smaller standard serpas w/ the single retention and had no issues with them.

My agency does not allow us to use the SERPA holster because of problems with the retention system getting jammed with sand or mud. This causes the user to be unable to draw their weapon. That said, I have never seen this first hand. On the other hand I dont ever want to find out.

I will say that i have had my SERPA in some very shitty and dirty conditions, enough to completely cover the pistol in sand/mud/grime and never had a problem drawing my pistol from the holster

I've done some research on the Serpa holster and heard nothing but horror stories from Guns not coming out to negligent discharges occurring because of the retention system...depts are banning them for those reasons...If you haven't checked out the ALS w/o hood or with hood they are great holsters. I run mine on my vest and have a molle adapter with Safariland's MLS system so i can take it off and put it on a paddle or a leg rig...The AlS is also a fast draw.

Alien319..The holster you describe sounds like the Raptor or something similar...not Safariland shining stars of holsters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done some research on the Serpa holster and heard nothing but horror stories from Guns not coming out to negligent discharges occurring because of the retention system...depts are banning them for those reasons...If you haven't checked out the ALS w/o hood or with hood they are great holsters. I run mine on my vest and have a molle adapter with Safariland's MLS system so i can take it off and put it on a paddle or a leg rig...The AlS is also a fast draw.

Alien319..The holster you describe sounds like the Raptor or something similar...not Safariland shining stars of holsters. </div></div>

If someone is having ND's, its a training issue, not the holsters fault. My serpa works well for me.

I actually bought a SERPA and had the exact same problem you are having. I ended up loosening the retention screw all the way then prying the holster apart a little bit wth a common screw driver. Loosening the screw allowed me to pull the holster apart that little bit and now it works just fine.
Hope that helps!