• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 950 yd bull elk kill

Re: 950 yd bull elk kill

Upload it using tinypic, photobucket, facebook, etc. Then copy the Image URL or the image itself because the code here only will show text ending in the picture type. Usually .jpg

Paste that link in between these tags

Glad you got your pics loaded....very nice bull!!!

...where you at, on the moon?

Once again, great bull!

We had to hike into the wilderness area about 3 miles before we got on them. I am shooting a modified Remington 700 PSS in .308. Shooting 175 gr Berger vld's and Varget powder. The scope is a vortex Viper pst ffp. I missed the first two shots because I did not factor enough for wind. Had to make a 5moa adjust for wind and a 22moa adjust for drop. 950 is probably the outer limits for a .308 on an animal this big. I hit him behind the front shoulder, missing the ribs and did not have the velocity to go thru the lung tissue and pass thru out the other side. It killed him fine but if I can't pass thru hair and tissue, I probably wont be trying another one that far. But, what can I say, sometimes God blesses us even when we try shots outside of what our guns should be doing.

I will say this though, for as show as they were moving, those Berger Vld's did a number on his lungs. I did not dig thru to find the bullet but the lungs were like jelly. For hunting, I can't speak highly enough of Berger... I show a cow elk last year at 550 and passed thru both front shoulders. The exit hole was as big as my fist. Great bullets...

You lived up to your screen name, nice kill. Goes to show that good bullets and shot placement will trump the magnums every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You lived up to your screen name, nice kill. Goes to show that good bullets and shot placement will trump the magnums every time. </div></div>
Amen

You're not kidding. That's about the outer limit of the 308. About 500 ft/lb. of energy left. Hell of shot man. Congrats.

Congrats on the nice bull and great shooting. I guess with country that wide open you would almost have to make those longer shots.

Awesome bull and great shooting - especially with a 308 at that distance on an elk! What'd he score?

I havent had him scored yet but I am guessing right around 310 ish. Thanks for all the congratulations.

Congratulations on an outstanding shot and an excellent Bull, hard work paid off for you sir. I used Berger VLDs for my Antelope hunt this year, and recovered the bullets under the exit side hide. The hydrostatic shock these bullets produce is amazing but, the VLDs have very thin copper jackets and I don't know if I'm going to use them again. Granted they killed 'em good, but I like what I saw out of Barnes TTSX more, I prefer the weight and penetrating power. Again great harvest.

Nice bull. Great shot. I like the VLDs they do a number on whitetails

You lucky dog, great looking bull! What part of the state are you in?

Very nice bull you got there and good shooting. Neat pics, thanks for sharing.

Nice kill!

(Be thankful you were not using the TTSX. They don't have the BC to give you the impact velocity you need for that long of a shot.
They also don't give you the tissue damage especially at that distance.)

Over in Evanston. Im going to be heading north this weekend hoping to find elk.

Have you heard that someone pulled out a 400 class bull by green river lakes?

I had not heard that but if you run across pics, I would love to see em! That is a monster

NICE bull fellow wyoming brother....310? Looks like 330 plus

Between this monster and your mulie, you have had quite a season! Congrats!

Congratulations that is a very nice bull and I am glad things worked out for you.

With that said I am going to be the bad guy here and expect to take flack for it.

That was good shooting and if I had been in your shoes looking at that nice bull I Know I would have been very tempted but I would not have taken that shot even If I was sure I could make the hit.

That was too far to be shooting at an animal of that size with a 308. In my opinion the shots you took were irresponsible. You say you missed the first 2 shots. Either of the 2 missed shots you took could have wounded the animal instead of just missing.

I have personally watched over 7,000 big game animals die in my career as a professional hunter. In Alaska and Africa I have studied the terminal effects of bullet performance quite a bit. In my opinion using a .308 at 950 yards on an elk , you put a magnificent animal at very high risk of being wounded and suffering a horrible death. If you rifle had been chambered for .338 I would not have much of a problem with what you did. But still you were shooting beyond your ability to make a first round hit in the conditions you encountered.

I am very encourage to see you say that
“I probably wont be trying another one that far.”
It sounds like you learned something so for that comment I give you a lot of credit and hope you take this as constructive criticism.
308 does not have the power to consistantly make clean kills on a elk at 950 yards in hunting conditions.

I am begging every one not to take or encourage taking shots at a range beyond the capability of their equipment, cartridge or beyond the shooters ability on big game animals. If you are not positive you can hit it in the vitals with first shot and that your projectile has enough mass and energy to knock the animal down do not take the shot.

We have little hope of changing the minds of anti hunting and anti gun idiots out there. However there are lots of people that are on the fence and not made up their minds regarding hunting. We cannot afford to push people like that into becoming anti hunters. Suffering or crippled animals caused by misplaced shot is a fast way to turn people who are on the fence into the anti’s. To preserve our hunting rights we cannot afford to make any more anti hunters.

As ethical hunters it is our duty to try to make quick, clean and humane kills and we need to pass on any shot that we are not cretin will accomplish a quick humane kill.