• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

95gr V-Max 6.5 Creedmoor

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Looking for any first hand experience with 95gr V-Max out of a 6.5 Creedmoor 1:8”
    Did the bullets hold together, how was accuracy, what powders worked well, etc?
    Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Looking for any first hand experience with 95gr V-Max out of a 6.5 Creedmoor 1:8”
    Did the bullets hold together, how was accuracy, what powders worked well, etc?
    Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,

I’m running them out of a 20” proof 1:8 and am happy for the application (yotes). The load is 39.5 varget @ 2.575 coal With alpha LRP and produces right at 2950,
    low Es /sd’s and around .5-.75 at 100.

I ran quick load and it would pressure out around 3050-3100 if I tried.

Reactions: Hondo1
    I’m running them out of a 20” proof 1:8 and am happy for the application (yotes). The load is 39.5 varget @ 2.575 coal With alpha LRP and produces right at 2950,
    low Es /sd’s and around .5-.75 at 100.

I ran quick load and it would pressure out around 3050-3100 if I tried.

Good information thanks!

Reactions: NVScout
    Probably not fur friendly, but I need to try some in my 18" hunting rifle.

Attachments

• 20200205_193828.jpg
      20200205_193828.jpg
      405 KB · Views: 151
    Reactions: deersniper
    I am thinking about trying some of these for dogs as well until I get a 22cm put together.

Would h4350 work for them or be too slow? Its all I have at the moment.

Also what kind of range or how flat do these shoot?

I have been running them for a few years now. In Petersen brass they where traveling at 3240 fps and lapua brass with same powder charge they were traveling 3142 fps. Varget is the powder I used. They didn't impress me as much as the 140 gr HPBT Hornady's on paper, but out in the field they work great. I was able to to get three prairie dogs in four shots at 616 yards. This year got one at 650 yards after one or two shots to figure out wind.

Reactions: Hondo1
    I have been running them for a few years now. In Petersen brass they where traveling at 3240 fps and lapua brass with same powder charge they were traveling 3142 fps. Varget is the powder I used. They didn't impress me as much as the 140 gr HPBT Hornady's on paper, but out in the field they work great. I was able to to get three prairie dogs in four shots at 616 yards. This year got one at 650 yards after one or two shots to figure out wind.
    So would you say a 95 vmax out of the 6.5cm is better than an 80 eldm out of a 22cm if both had same barrel length? Under 20in let's say

When I say better, I mean flat shooting for varmints to 600 yards

So would you say a 95 vmax out of the 6.5cm is better than an 80 eldm out of a 22cm if both had same barrel length? Under 20in let's say

When I say better, I mean flat shooting for varmints to 600 yards
    You would have to plug numbers into a ballistic calculator to see. My guess is it would be flatter but I am unsure how well a ELDM bullet would open up on impact with a small critter.

Tikka tac A1 6.5cm lapua brass, cci br-4, staball 6.5 49gn starting point, 49.6 almost a full load maybe get a half grain in there. Seated to 2.710" or book length for the 95gn vmas. 3253-3290fps. Could go a little more to get 99-100% case capacity. No pressure signs. Did not test on paper, went right to the field with 2 coyotes down.

My results might be similar to what you’re looking for. But I am using a Nosler 90gr Varmageddon for a Bergara B14 HMR with the 1:8” 22 inch factory barrel.

6.5 Creedmoor:
    Nosler Varmageddon 90gr
    Various brass (LRP), CCI BR2 primers
    Speeds: 3150fps, 1981.0 FT-LBS energy - Bergara B14 HMR
    CBTO 2.150” (COAL for magazine length)
    COAL measurement: 2.88” max. (5rnd mag), 2.89” max. (10rnd mag)
    42.0gr Varget
    Fire formed headspace (Whidden tool): 1.5230”-1.5240”

This combo gave me a .390” five shot group at 109 yards. (No keyholing.) FWIW, this is a coyote load for distances between 75 and 400 yards. But with a slightly lighter bullet, the 1:8” twist does very well. Load development was as expected. After 7 charge weights, OCW was easily seen in the groupings. I found two accuracy nodes, with the 42.0gr charge of Varget being the best. I like the speed as well, although it will probably be faster in warmer weather (I did my development at temperatures between 28f and 38f).

I hope this gives you an idea of what works in the 8” twist barrel.

Edit: here’s the COAL in an ACIS 10 round mag…

IMG-2380.jpg

I did walk this load out to 655 yards. First shot hit on an 8” gong.

Last edited: