• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm (.356) vs .357

experthunter017

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Virginia beach VA
I was just reloading some 357mag and i ran out bullet heads, but i happen to look at my 9mm stuff. the diamiter of the 9mm is .356 and my 357mag is .357 so i thought about useing 9mm bullet heads in my 357mag. but what would happen if i did??

Re: 9mm (.356) vs .357

I tried the opposite once, a 357 with 355 bullet, case would not hold the bullet tight enough. The only issue with what you are proposing would be pressure, being oversized you would need to run it a little lighter on the charge. Personally, I wouldn’t do it...

They are not "bullet heads" they are bullets or projectiles.

Don't interchange .357 with .355 bullets. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't make 2 different sizes.

Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you new crop of reloaders survive your experiment.

@ armorpl8chikn

I have been reloading for 5 years and reload for 15 different calibers so dont tell me that i dont know what i am doing, it was just a curiousity question that is all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Experthunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ armorpl8chikn

I have been reloading for 5 years and reload for 15 different calibers so dont tell me that i dont know what i am doing, it was just a curiousity question that is all. </div></div>

Relax there Sparky.

Just because you've been reloading for five years, doesn't mean that you know what you're talking about.

Lots of 'experienced' reloaders do stupid shit, FYI.

This reloading section is a 'techincal' forum, so we should try and use the proper terms. Pills, heads and do-dads aren't technical equivalents for bullets, or projectiles.

9mm jacketed bullets mic in at .355", lead might be .356", so you could possibly run them in a .357" bore, but as the other guy said, if they're .355" and you run them in that .357" bore, accuracy will suffer for obvious reasons.

Chris

You'll be fine shooting .355/.356 bullets in your .357mag. Years ago Ruger made a Blackhawk with two cylinders, one a 38 special/357mag and the other a 9mm. If its just plinking ammo you won't see any difference in accuracy. I've loaded 115/124gr 9mm bullets in my .357 many times.

Just don't load .357/.358 bullets in your 9mm