• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm and 45 acp

Redseal11

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
San Antonio,Texas
What powders do ya'll use for the above in 147gr and 230gr respectively. With powder sortages, just trying to broaden my possibilties.

Thanks

Re: 9mm and 45 acp

I use TiteGroup in my 45- however I've never bothered to reload 9mm... yet. Until the recent shortage I've always just figured it wasn't worth my time since 9mm is (WAS) cheap/available. Still have a stock pile that I'm working thru, however if things remain the way they are I'll shortly be picking up 9mm dies and most likely running TiteGroup in that too.

Another vote-for Titegroup... I have been running it in my 9mm Glocks for a while with good results..the next time I do a mass loading for the 1911 , I 'll use Titegroup for that as well.

I've been using Ramshot True Blue for both.
It meters like water, burns much cleaner than TG or 231. It will make very high velocities if you're looking for power factor in 9mm.

Neither of those are picky. I prefer HP38 for plinking in both and HS6 in 9mm and Silhouette in 45acp for performance.

clays universal but I always seem to be in the minority with my powder selection & Im sure someone from the varget crowd will chime in

TG was all I could fine during the last shortage. So that what I worked up. I have tried others since and found TG to be most consistent over the chrony

I've always been partial to Bullseye for 9mm NATO and .45 acp loads. I bought a buttload of surplus SR7970 some years ago as well as some AA #9 equivalent pulldown from 9mm rounds.

As a close second, I use an appropriate load of bullseye. Fast burning, doesn't take much powder to meet or exceed requisite velocities and it burns clean. I especially like it for very light target loads/PPC .38 SPL, with a 148 gr DEWC over about 3 grains of Bullseye.

I have, literally, shot Unique in .45 acp before and watched unburned flakes spit several feet in front of the gun which I collected and took a match to. Burned really dirty, too. But it does make up very good cowboy loads for me (.45 Colt, .44 WCF), and shoots great in some .44 S&W Mag. loads

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clays universal but I always seem to be in the minority with my powder selection & Im sure someone from the varget crowd will chime in </div></div>

I love Varget!! But for 9mm I prefer Power Pistol, and 45 gets Clays

I use TiteGroup for my 9mm(115, 124) and 45acp(230)and I am very happy with the results I got.

I use HS-6 or HP38 (W231 is relabeled HP38) for 9mm. I find the HP-38 does better when I'm having to seat fairly short, and the HS-6 does better when I can load them long.

I have used Bullseye in 45 for a long time but switched to Power Postol in 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp, cleaner burning and I get better velocity, although there is more of a flash signature in lower light.