• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9mm and 45 ammo to stay away from?

I would stay away from Tulammo in all calibers except 7.62x39. On 3 occasions, twice with my Glock and once with an AR, I have had the casing of Tulammo fail to extract by expanding in the chamber. The casing expanded so much that it was pretty tough to get it out and I actually had to take a cleaning rod and with several hard pushed get it free. This type of failure has the potential to do some damage to your firearms, so after the 3rd time this happened to me I vowed to never use Tulammo again in anything but my Ak.

I still seldomly shoot steel cased ammo to save some money here and there, but only the Wolf brand now. I have never had an issue with Wolf brand steel cased ammo, but Tulammo is a different story. Before I hear a backlash for shooting steel cased ammo I will say that the majority of my shooting is with brass cased (except for Ak's of course) but for as much shooting as I do I don't mind using steel cased through a couple of my firearms.

Tula, Herter's, Wolf, Ultramax...to name a few. I also don't care for Remington UMC but that's a personal preference thing, but would shoot it if that's all I could get my hands on. There's been soo many smaller companies pop up in the last several years.... I just mainly stick with Federal, Speer, CCI, and Winchester, for Pistol Ammo.

I have had great experience with the Herter's brass cased Select grade ammo in 9mm. I have probably run close to 1000 rounds of it through multiple pistols of mine (CZ, two Glocks and a FEG Hi Power). It has went bang every time, extracted correctly, and doesn't seem any dirtier than any of factory rounds I have use. It is manufactured by Sellier & Bellot. It is often on sale at the local Cabela's for $13-14 a box of 50.

I recently (last 30 days) got a bad batch of Winchester ammunition. Normally don't have a problem with them. This last batch was two boxes of 9, 40, and 45. Oddly all of them caused issues in each set. Never ever had problems with them before. Usually I fire American Eagle, and Federal for training. This could be an isolated incident however they did also have a recall of ammunition due to double powder loads. I would avoid them for a couple of cycles, then try again after they clean up their act.

Edit to note, this seems to happen at random from time to time with them. I find Hornady, Federal, American Eagle all seem to be more consistent with quality production for training ammo.

No S&B or Amerc for me. Never tried steel cased. What's the difference between Wolf and Tula?

Tula, Herter's, Wolf, Ultramax...to name a few. I also don't care for Remington UMC but that's a personal preference thing, but would shoot it if that's all I could get my hands on. There's been soo many smaller companies pop up in the last several years.... I just mainly stick with Federal, Speer, CCI, and Winchester, for Pistol Ammo.

Remington UMC (230 grain) is shooting quite poorly in my new Sig 220. Seems like one or two out of every 8 rounds goes way low. Bought 250rnds of it to wear the gun in. I'd be interested in hearing if others have had similar problems with it or my weapon just hates the stuff.

It would be easier for me to mention which ammunition I've not had problems with since I've not tried them all. Blazer 9mm (124gr) or .45ACP (230gr) has been good in either aluminum or brass cases. 9mm Winchester has been good as well as Federal. Both of these were 115gr. As a Sig Armorer, I get calls from shooters complaining about issues with Remington and Russian ammo and always recommend that the shooter try one of the three I've had success with before blaming the weapon. Russian ammo has very hard primers and can fail to ignite with some handguns. As far as reloads, I roll my own so I can't give an informed opinion but if I were looking at a manufacture of reloads, I'd ask what primers he uses and if using Wolfe or Tula, I'd only buy a very small quantity to test and see if the gun can handle them reliably. Federal primers are the softest I've used and lots of guys, mainly revolver shooters, who re-work their triggers for low pull wieght like them. I shoot Sigs and typically use CCIs and Winchesters and never have had an issue with getting either of them to light.