• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm AR barrel Accerory

918v

Range Physic
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Miserable CA
I'm having a 9mm AR built and ran into an issue. The barrel needs to be threaded for fun accessories, however the typical 1/2"x36mm thread will leave very little metal between the device and the bore. My awesome gunsmith suggested I go with a 5/8"x24mm and use AR-10 accesories. What are your thoughts?

Re: 9mm AR barrel Accerory

im pretty sure you can get some 9mm accessories in 5/8-24

suppressors, brakes ect.

My 9mm AR-15 barrel is threaded 1/2-28. As well as 90% of the 9mm AR-15 barrels on the market. I don't see a problem.

ETA: Not only that, AR-10 accessories are generally .308 diameter holes...that is smaller than 9mm.

I may put a can on it in 10 years from now after I leave CA.

The issue is the thin wall of metal surrounding the bore and the resulting accuracy robbing constriction once the device is tightened.

What kid of accessories are you planning on installing? Military and LE have been using the 1/2x28 and 1/2x36 pitches for years without problems.

Keep in mind that most 5/8x24 accessories are set up for the 7.62 round. You'll have to bore out or customize brakes, flash suppressors or other devices. I'd be surprised if there are many 9mm suppressors offered with the 5/8x24 pitch. You may end up having to use an adapter or customize some other solution.

I'd say stick with the standard 1/2x28 or 36. Just don't install accessories with a pipe wrench and cheater bar
smile.gif

My 9mm AR 15 SBR runs fine with the 1/2x28 threads

The issue is the extremely thin bore walls. The concern is if the muzzle is that thin, the bore will actually open up like a funnel and ruin any accuracy I may gain by using a premium blank and a match chamber.

I don't care about having to open up holes. That's cheap to do.