• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Carbines ?

Nuttshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
Conway, South Carolina
I know this is not a precision rig but I am looking for a semi auto in 9mm. I was looking at the Just Right Carbine. Does anyone have or used one? How would you compare it to a AR in 9mm?

Re: JustRight Carbines ?

Had a couple that buyers came back unhappy about, very low quality. The ones we got were from ATI, the importer that turns out a lot of low end stuff, some great some not so great.

In a nutshell, overpriced junk. Not sure what the going rate is now, but a while ago they were 600-700.

It's cheaper, more reliable and a helluva lot smarter to get an AR-15 conversion upper and mag block for 9mm.

Re: 9mm Carbines ?

Interesting, The one I was looking at was made by EMF and is American made in NY. So it is not a import. Is this the same weapon in question?

What are my mag options in the AR uppers? Looks like most use the old sten gun mags.

Not sure, I'll have to look into EMF.

As for mag options, the Olympic pattern that uses Sten mags is NOT the most common at all, and is actully pretty unpopular.

The main options are the Colt pattern and the Glock pattern, with the Colt pattern being the most common/popular by far.

Sten mag ones are not well liked, and UN-modified Uzi ones are not well liked, and the two to avoid.

Thanks for the info. I looked at RRA and saw that they use Colt and modified Uzi style. Is RRA a pretty good one to go with?

Is the Olympic GL-1 the only ones who make a glock style in AR upper? I have not found many of them.

I am not looking to be cheap. I want a reliable 9mm carbine. So if there are any other options I am all ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I looked at RRA and saw that they use Colt and modified Uzi style. Is RRA a pretty good one to go with?

Who makes a glock style in AR upper? I have not found them.

I am not looking to be cheap. I want a reliable 9mm carbine. So if there are any other options I am all ears. </div></div>

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

I have a rock river with a spikes magwell adapter mine runs well no issues and I even run the c products mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solid_Squirrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/
</div></div>

Any first hand experience with LWD? I read that they had some quality issues. </div></div>

Nope, sorry. Just something I noticed.

The "Just Right" setups are "JUST WRONG!" (As are most things from ATI...the EMF is the same old whore in a different dress).
wink.gif
They are generally poor performers, unreliable, suffer from poor accuracy, and good luck getting parts and aftermarket support for them. The nice thing is that they do use cheap and plentiful Glock mags, but that's where the good news ends!

As for AR's in 9mm...I've got extensive experience with everything from the original Colts (and the current ones too) to custom built uppers and complete rifles. To address some of your questions/concerns.

The RRA 9mm carbines now all have the RRA proprietary lower which is forged with the magwell for the 9mm mags already integral to the lower. No need for 9mm magwell adapters, but that also prohibits you from switching calibers to .223/5.56 or the host of other calibers supported by the standard AR-15 lower. This is true for all the 9mm RRAs made in the last several years, but RRA also used to make 9mm-marked AR lowers with the magwell adapters too which you may also find for sale. I only point this out because that difference matters to some. That said, the RRA 9mm carbines I have run perform very well with a wide variety of ammo. I personally ONLY use the OEM Colt/Metalform 9mm AR mags in any of my guns and recommend the same to others as the uzi conversion mags can sometimes have issues and the 9mm Promags are just as terrible as their other mags. The C-Products 9mm AR mags were generally hit/miss in terms of function/reliability.

Also consider:

1) Spike's Tactical can build you the 9mm upper of your dreams based on your specs;

2) CMMG makes a very nice 9mm upper (as well as 9mm conversion parts, including the highly desired ramped 9mm bolt/carrier assembly which allows you to use standard AR-15 hammers instead of the dedicated, one-off 9mm hammer (saves you from having to worry about yet one more non-standard part to carry/replace if something breaks...Spike's, YHM and other highly regarded mfgs use the CMMG 9mm bolt setups);

3) finally, Yankee Hill Machine Co (YHM) also makes some nice, albeit somewhat pricey, 9mm uppers.

I played with a 9mm AR some years ago. It was an Olympic Arms with the STEN mags. The main issue I had was the reality of the mags with the welded spacer really made it difficult to carry mags. Easily. IMO anyway. I couldn't get out of it fast enough.

In the future, I would get Colt or Glock patterns.

TTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure, I'll have to look into EMF.

As for mag options, the Olympic pattern that uses Sten mags is NOT the most common at all, and is actully pretty unpopular.

The main options are the Colt pattern and the Glock pattern, with the Colt pattern being the most common/popular by far.

Sten mag ones are not well liked, and UN-modified Uzi ones are not well liked, and the two to avoid. </div></div>

ORD definitely hit it on the head. funny how you usually get what you pay for

BTW, ORD, in your experience who's setup has given you the best accuracy?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Sherman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, ORD, in your experience who's setup has given you the best accuracy?

thanks </div></div>

My own!!
wink.gif

Accuracy is subjective with most pistol-caliber carbines in my experience. My most accurate build to date uses a custom SS match barrel, free-floated, and with decent ammo, it will put rounds into well under 3" all day at 100 yards (clay pigeons at further distances are fun too, but after a while, you end up lobbing them in as far as bullet drop goes). Closer in...it is just scary what a 9mm round will do from a slightly longer barrel than your average 4-5" pistol. Like any other AR...the devil is in the details of the build, including the quality of components used, etc., but they can be made to shoot extremely accurately (again...for what they are...they're never gonna be sub-MOA carbines/rifles/SBRs).

RRA, Colt and others I have shot generally achieve accuracy of around 2" or better at 50 yards (again...given proper ammo, shooter doing their part, etc.). I have not personally used the YHM setups, but I understand from people that I trust that they are of good quality/components and that accuracy is on par with other 9mm ARs. Again...more than accurate enough to do what they were designed to do.

I'm running a tros 5" three lug barrel with a Spike's mag block. I got a great deal on 32rd mags at Botach ( buyer beware). It is a fun gun and very quiet with a can and Win Ranger 147gr JHPs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southern_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD, what barrel length would you recommend? I was thinking more in the 7-9in range as a first 9mm setup. </div></div>

It depends...

What is your purpose/goal for your build? Will it be run suppressed all the time? Will it be run suppressed at all? If running suppressed, what can are you running and what handguard setup are you planning for (bbl length matters here because you can run into compatibility issues depending on how short you go)?

You'll get a whole host of differing opinions on this issue and I generally don't think that there is a "right" or "wrong" answer...just what may work better for your particular wants/needs versus others.

I went with a 5" barrel to ensure that factor 147gr bullet stay subsonic. This is a dedicated suppressed rifle and the suppressor side inside the handguardabout four inches. The complete rifle with can is shorter than a fixed stock MP5.

If you decide to shoot my rifle without the can you have to be very aware of where your support hand is because the barrel is recessed and can give you a nice muzzle blast right into the palm of your hand.

I like the mech tech and the idea. But they kinda look cheesy. Also, I only have one 1911 and would not like to have to dedicate the frame to a carbine. I am looking to round out my gear.

On that note has anyone used the mech tech?