• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

9mm economics

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    I load .308, .223, .45 ACP, and .300 win mag. I had plans to load 9mm at some point, but unfortunately I procrastinated for too long and late last year, the components became way too scant to justify buying the dies. Small pistol primers are still pretty hard to find, as well as 9mm bullets. I have about 8 lbs of Titegroup and a few thousand rounds of 9mm ammo, so all I would need is the dies, the primers, and the bullets.

The components have been popping up here and there, but now the cost to load has pretty much surpassed the price of loaded ammo. Here is the breakdown of random 9mm components at powder valley, when you can find them:
    HORNADY 9MM .355 115 GR FMJ-RN ENC (1000) $119.75 (~12 cents/round)
    WOLF SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS - per 1000 $25.50 (~2 1/2 cents/round)
    HODGDON TITEGROUP - 1 LB. $13.75 (~0.7 cents/round)

Added up, to load 1 round of 9mm, it costs about 15 cents, and this is assuming that you are reusing your brass. I recently bought some PMC 9mm ammo for $14/box, which was a great deal for me right now, since the local shop is burning people for almost 50 cents/round.

In comparison, PMC .45 ACP is $22/box, or 44 cents/round. Without the brass, the cost of loading 1 round of .45 ACP is about 20 cents/round.

Have we reached the point where it is simply not economical to press 9mm?

Re: 9mm economics

Shooting plated bullets from Rainier or another vendor would significantly decrease your cost. For example the 115gr double plated run 79 shipped per thousand.

Less than 8 cents per round. That saves you nearly 4 cents a round. That would bring your total per round cost to 11 cents.

At 11 cents a round that puts you at 5.50 for a box of 50 with your brass. Not a bad deal compared to what I am seeing 9mm priced for at retail.

They look like this:

url]

Thanks for the info. You know of a place that has them for that price?

I bought 1k of those bullets from midwayusa at $79 plus shipping when they were on sale. Regular price (at midway) is $89 plus shipping.

I agree that the plated lead bullets are great for non-lethal threat engagement (ie. for practice at the range, IDPA, USPSA, steel, etc.) rather than spending more money on jacketed bullets.

If you're loading plinkers then reloading might not be financially enticing for the 9mm.
    If you want the original full power 9mm, doing the cost to buy-cost to load comparison tilts things the other way.

Wally World here sells Blazer Brass for 9.87 a box (50) They went up a buck since Yobama got in. Kind of a toss up.

Suggest looking into Montana Gold for fmj type bullets Montanagoldbullet.com plated bullets can be fussy to load in the 9mm case.

Wideners has pmc small pistol primers in stock.

Bet you will find your reloads are more accurate than the discount the ammo being sold at Walmart.

Go and get some precision delta 115 FMJ for $68/1000 delivered to your door!
    Why are they still a secret?

Your still going to be spending about eleven cents a round.
    Makes for shooting one hundred rounds at a time no big deal.
    The cases are very durable too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go and get some precision delta 115 FMJ for $68/1000 delivered to your door!

The cases are very durable too.</div></div>

That is a deal. What loading data do you use for these bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. You know of a place that has them for that price? </div></div>

http://www.tjconevera.com

I have no affiliation with this site. If it's inappropriate feel free to edit it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go and get some precision delta 115 FMJ for $68/1000 delivered to your door!

The cases are very durable too. </div></div>

SHH....not so loud

Why are they still a secret?</div></div>

WOW
    shocked.gif

Thanks for the info!!

Precision Delta is a good way to go. I shoot USPSA matches and have been using their bullets for years. I load with Accurate Arms #5 because I have a lot of it and powder goes a long, long way in pistol caliber. 5.2 grains under a 124gr pill get's me around 1040fps which is about what I want to meet competiion requirements.

HTH,
    21Bravo aka
    Craig P. in MO

I really like unique in the 9mm.
    For practice ammo I use 5 grains with a 115 at just under max OAL.
    You can fill a case to the top with unique and your still OK with 115's and max OAL.
    Although people say it's a dirty propellant, it is cleaner than most all factory ammo I've tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like unique in the 9mm.
    For practice ammo I use 5 grains with a 115 at just under max OAL.
    You can fill a case to the top with unique and your still OK with 115's and max OAL.
    Although people say it's a dirty propellant, it is cleaner than most all factory ammo I've tried.
    </div></div>

What kind of gun is that in? Reason I ask is I need 5.8gr Unique to reliably function my Glock 19. Any lower than that and I get malfunctions.

I agree about it being cleaner than most give it credit for.

I use it mostly in a Glock 19.
    Less often in a Sig P-228 and a Kahr PM-9.
    5.0 is actually as low as I've gone but it seems to mimic 115 grain factory ammo's recoil IMO.
    It functions mine just fine.
    I do have about 7000 rounds through it so maybe it's recoil spring isn't what it used to be.
    I load up to about 6.6 which I feel is pushing my G-19 in it's current configuration.

That glock has taught me a lot about shooting well.

In my neck of the woods they are 8.97 a box(hard to find in stock sometimes)but with a little work you can get them, as of late it has been more Federal than Blazer around, if you are just looking for range ammo its a toss up to me whether its worth loading or not.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wally World here sells Blazer Brass for 9.87 a box (50) They went up a buck since Yobama got in. Kind of a toss up. </div></div>

So with tax your at about $19/100 at the cheapest.
    I load on a progressive and average about 300 quality rounds of 9mm in hour, So I save about $20-25/hour.
    I know that's probably not enough to entice a lot of folks however I always have brass cased ammunition on hand that functions flawlessly.
    One could easily spend more time (plus gas) "hunting" for ammo than I spend loading, and I enjoy loading in moderation.
    If I want a specific type of ammunition, it's no big deal to boot.
    I obviously feel that the benefits outweigh the cost.
    I used to get remington UMC 115 FMJ for $160/1k.
    During the commodity crisis that price doubled in just a few months.
    So I load.
    When others scramble to buy ammunition because of whatever panics them, I maintain enough components to ensure that I don't have to pay a panic premium.
    So I shoot more.

I use Solo 1000 powder and Bear Creek moly bullets. I don't think I've ever spent more than $100/thou to load bulk 9mm.

Even at 2004 prices ($4.50 a box), I couldn't hardly buy aluminum case Blazer for what I'm loading for.

what kind of press are you guys using?
    i"m looking to get one for 9mm
    thanks

If you are looking at only saving money look at using Clays. I have used it for 45ACP and 9mm for light recoiling practice ammo. For loading ammo more in line with the recoil of full power loads I use Longshot.

You should be able to load at least 1700 rounds per pound when using Clays. This reduces a lot of cost per round.

Using an online calculator it comes out to $4.98 per 50 ($99.50 per 1K) of loaded ammo. This doesn't include shipping or tax if bought locally but even if you add 10% for shipping or sales tax to the cost that is still reasonable at $5.50 per 50 ($109.45 per 1K) which is 11 cents each.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of press are you guys using?
    i"m looking to get one for 9mm
    thanks </div></div>

I use this one:

444.gif

Which press is that? Am I seeing it correctly? It has four separate shell holders and no auto-indexing?

I use a Dillon 550B. If you want auto indexing, get the Hornady, it's cheaper than a 650 and supposedly just as good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dolomite_Supafly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking at only saving money look at using Clays. I have used it for 45ACP and 9mm for light recoiling practice ammo. </div></div>

I would highly suggest against Clays for 9mm. I have been using it for years in .45 and will be switching to Solo 1000 for that, too.

Clays is a double base powder and in small cases like 9mm, is subject to large pressure spikes with even small changes in COAL. It also does not work well with heavier bullet 9mm loadings.

Solo 1000 is a single base powder and is much safer as it has a much more linear pressure curve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup.

You cannot possibly screw anything up using this press.

It is a CH4D

http://www.ch4d.com/ </div></div>
    So you have to manually move each case to the different station?
    I understand you cannot screw anything up, but it also slows down quite a bit the reloading process.

Yes, you have to move the round from one station to the next, but it allows you to have complete control of the round throughout the assembly process. Its like having four single stage presses in line, but more compact.

For me, the real savings are in loading my own subsonic 147gr loads, which are a little harder to find (and typically more expensive than factory 115-124gr loads).

try unique , ive been using it for 5 years in my pistols. i use 5.0g unique in 115g 9mm and 6.0g unique for 155g 40 s&w and 7.0g unique for 230g 45acp, they are accurate in the guns i run them thru. i also use frontier plated bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dolomite_Supafly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking at only saving money look at using Clays. I have used it for 45ACP and 9mm for light recoiling practice ammo. </div></div>

I would highly suggest against Clays for 9mm. I have been using it for years in .45 and will be switching to Solo 1000 for that, too.

Clays is a double base powder and in small cases like 9mm, is subject to large pressure spikes with even small changes in COAL. It also does not work well with heavier bullet 9mm loadings.

Solo 1000 is a single base powder and is much safer as it has a much more linear pressure curve. </div></div>

Thanks for the advice, I never realized there could be a problem. I used Clays when I started reloading because it was recommended for 45 ACP and I figured I would try it in 9mm and didn't have any issues, I am glad I didn't looking back on it now.

Now all I use either Longshot or 3N38 for all my 9mm loads depending on what weight I am loading. Using the 3N38 I can load 147 grain 9mm to 1200 FPS according to the VV manual. My loads are a bit lighter than that but still pretty hot(6.8gr vs 6.9gr).

Vihtavuori Reloading Database

Dolomite

I don't load high velocity loads, but that's pretty cool that you can load 147s that hot. Mine are only going a little over 900 fps out of a 5" barrel.