• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm first time

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
With the recent shortages and price increases, I just ordered some stuff to begin reloading 9mm so I can shoot it more.

Anyways, I'll be starting with precision delta 115 fmj bullets. Can anyone recommend me a powder that good for 115gr and 9mm? I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to pistol reloading.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Re: 9mm first time

HP-38 is hard to beat for blasting ammo. Chances are it will also work in about every handgun cartridge you own.

Titegroup or HS6 as well.

When buying canister powder from the store I do titegroup. Works fine for both 9mm and 45 acp.

Accurate #2 or #5 work great.
Hodgdon Longshot is fun if you're trying to turn it into a poor man's .38 super (not a good idea for a new reloader)
Solo 1000 is my favorite 9mm powder. It can be hard to find but at ~3.3 grains per shot under a 147gr cast bullet, a little bit goes a long way.
Nitro 100 works but isn't as clean as Solo 1000.
Win 231 and Hodgdon HP38 (same powder) work great as well.

Question, Why has no one mentioned using the red/blue dot powder in pistol cases. Also 231?

As mentioned there are a multitude of pistol powders. I just use Bullseye for all my modern handgun loads as there is data for almost every caliber, keeps it simple.

231 works fine as does Titegroup. More quantity out of Titegroup vs Win 231 if that helps your decision

Titegroup is great. I have used Clays and HS-6 but they need a decent charge or all the powder might not burn

Thanks for the help guys. I called the local distributor and he has titegroup 4lb for 52.00 so I'm gonna head up and grab one of those. All others are sold out, but seems that's a popular choice anyways for 9mm.

2k brass/bullets and dies on the way. I'm not looking forward to how small these things are, but I'll be able to shoot more!! Won't feel bad about shooting up my stocked up ammo haha.

Thanks,

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Dog Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Power Pistol is great in 9mm and 45acp as well if you can find it. </div></div>I too have had good luck with Power Pistol, but I normally load 124 grain bullets so I haven't tried it with 115 grain ones.

I use HP-38 for 9mm and 45acp. I have had nothing but excellent results in each. Meters really well.

Have used 115s and 124s, works great for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowr1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Dog Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Power Pistol is great in 9mm and 45acp as well if you can find it. </div></div>I too have had good luck with Power Pistol, but I normally load 124 grain bullets so I haven't tried it with 115 grain ones. </div></div>

Another vote for Power Pistol in 9mm. Never used it for .45ACP. For best accuracy in production type pistols, stay in the burn rate in the same class as Power Pistol. 231 for example will work, but it's a shade on the fast side accuracy wise. As far as 115's with Power Pistol, 115 JHP's (Nosler, XTP's,etc..) will yeild exceptional accuracy in Production guns. The 115 JRN will be just average accuracy wise. Just my two cents.

I plan to use Titegroup when I start reloading 9mm. I was looking at the IDPA nationals statistics and titegroup was the most used powder there definitely made it worth looking at.