• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9mm for small hands--am I missing any?

stiletto raggio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
One of my NCOs wants to buy a pistol when we get back from this deployment. The handgun with which he is most familiar is the M9 and he knows it is far from optimal for him. He has relatively small hands and he is a lefty. The first gun that came to mind was the HK P30 since it is completely ambidextrous and has very adjustable grips.

The plan is to go to a gun show so he can get his hands on a few guns and check them out in person. Other 9mms I might have him look at include the Browning Hi Power, the Ruger SR9, the CZ/Witness family, the Smith M&P and the Springfield XDm. Does anyone have other recommendations? I think he would prefer something with a manual safety, but a striker-fired DAO might be a possibility. Am I missing anything?

Re: 9mm for small hands--am I missing any?

Rohrbaugh R9, Kimber Solo, HK P2000sk or P2000, Ruger LC9

I have smaller hands, and I carry a Rohrbaugh R9 everyday

I don't have very large hands or at least not long fingers either. The BHP fits me perfectly and I believe the mag release can be ambi'ed. I had a S&W M&P 9 and it is also very easy to fit due to the replaceable backstraps. The factory trigger sucks but are easily tuned. Mine ran like a champ and the factory 17 rd. mags are excellent.

I have small hands, the G19 and Sig P229 are what I use, however the smallest grip I have found is the HK P30, they have changeable panels you can really get it small.

I have BHPs, too, they are bit old school and need work to compete with modern handguns, like getting rid of the magazine safety.

I was in Israel this past February. Seemed like half of the ISDF had the Beretta and half had the Stainless (or chromed...didn't ask) BHP. The women seemed to have more of the BHP. If it works for them, I'd accept it as a good choice. JMHO

I prefer slim grips but I don't care to carry a 1911. I'm good with glock double stacks but the G36 single stack in 45 acp is a slimmer option. I haven't had any problems with feeding issues that many have complained of.

The S & W 3913 is one of the finest options available in 9 mm, but you will be limited to 7 round magazines. Not sure of the specs you expect for "a full-sized range/house gun" but expecting 15 rounds in a grip that fits small hands may not line up with reality.

I also have smaller hands. The Sig P229 is a good choice. My M&P 9/40c fits very comfortably. Would take the M&P before a lot of other choices for the money. M&P also has ambi slide release for the lefties.

STI Spartan 9mm. Yes, you forgot the most important one--the 1911.

Double stacks are mostly too fat for my girly hands.

I have a p2000 and love it. But the Sig 229 is a great gun too but a little more heavy.

Yeah, you are missing this...the best full size 9mm on the market, just takes a little customizing...

Glock 17
2ibgisg.jpg

Grip reduction done by Southwest Shooting Authority. There are many good Glocksmiths that can do this kind of work. Why compromise?

Just wanted to add to this thread for anyone active, retired, or disabled military. S&W is giving $50 rebates on M&P handguns, $100 on M&P 15. It runs until Dec. 31st of this year.

I'm not sure if he has a strict budget in mind, but this will be his first "personally owned weapon" in adulthood. He spent a long time in Germany and Japan and his (German) wife is anti-gun. When he said he needed a gun for bears (not what this is for) she said he should get a sword instead.

Anyhow, there is a good chance this will be his only handgun for quite sometime, so I would venture that anything under $1k is workable.

While I agree that at some point you have to recognize that capacity will go down as the grips get smaller, I would say that his hands are small-ish, not "small woman sized." He is still a guy that stands 5'10", he just knows that a fat-gripped pistol like the M9 is a bad fit.

The Sig E2 looks nice. If the frame is as similar to the X5 as it looks, I think it could be a contender. He has carried and trained with the M11 (Sig 228) before and he has a positive impression of them. The positive feedback on the P30 is also a good sign. The Hi-Power is a classic design but, of course, has limitations due the age of the design.

I would appreciate any more recommendations.

Hard to recommend something specific, handguns being so personal.

He might look at the Glock Gen 4 models 17 or 19. I understand the grip has interchangeable backstraps in the Gen 4, affording some customization of fit.

Try a Walther PPS, or as others have said a G19. In a pinch, the Taurus 9 Slim may fit his hand, but he may not want to buy that.

The Sigma 9mm comes to mind. Small, cheap (plus the $50 rebate mentioned), extremely reliable. Don't care if you're right of left handed.

My son works for FPS, and is in charge of training in the NW areas, they went to Signmas for their contract gurards.

Also I believe the State Dept bought 100K for the ANP.

Don't buy the crap about the trigger. It's not that bad, a bit of dry firing and its as smooth as a prom queens thighs. (The paperwork that comes with the Sigma says it can be dryfired without any problems).

I have one in 40cal. I really like it.

+1 for the Sig P229 E2, HK P30, Glock 19 & HK P2000
I didn't realize you were looking for a medium to full-size pistol. I have owned all of these, and you can't go wrong with them.

The Sig P226 X-Five has an ambidextrous manual safety, and slightly smaller grips than the P226R, both of which work well in smaller hands. The grips on the X-Five are more rounded than flat and provide a slightly different feel. With Nill grips, they are tough to beat. Pricey, but great.

Smallish hands here...love my M&P fullsize & compact. Fit me better than Sig P226, Glock 22, Springfield single stack 1911 (.45ACP), Para-Ord double stack 1911 (9mm), Ruger P95 & HK USP40. Glock 19 was a close fit though...

CZ75 is my favorite 9mm for my little bitch mitts (shoulda been a doctor, but no-I had to be a drunk....).
Trying to swap a Taurus PT99 for one these days, I forgot how big the handle was on the Taurus.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I will take him to the range and see what he likes in terms of function and controls and narrow it from there. It sounds like just about every preference (striker vs hammer, DA vs TDA, manual safety or no) is available in a model with a small grip.

I have small hands and I'm also a lefty. Those are the two main reasons why I own a p30. It just feels like it was made for my hands and it is truly lefty friendly. M&P's aren't a bad choice either..

I have pretty small hands and I shoot an fnp-9 and it fits my hands pretty well.

The 92FS is big for my hands also, and I recently replaced it with a S&W M&P 9mm. Fits my hands perfectly, and I love the striker fire action over the DA/SA

I'd go with the M&P or Glock gen 4 I think you can change the backstrap on both. I don't have experience with the gen4 Glock but I've never had any problems working my model 22 left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bri0242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rohrbaugh R9,
I have smaller hands, and I carry a Rohrbaugh R9 everyday </div></div>

My business partner has about 1000 rds through his, carries it daily and loves it. From what I have seen, it is very well made, very compact and, well a bit expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Browning Hi Power, S&W M&P, Springfield XDM, STI Trojan in 9mm. I have owned/ shot all of these and all are great.

HK P30 or for a bit cheaper the HK USPc 9mm

i agree the mp 9 is very nice. i have small hands and nothing ever felt right. the trigger is less then ideal and takes some getting use to but overall is a great pistol

i love the 1911 the only draw backs however are price an the lack of magazine capacity. if you dont have a problem with that force_multiplier has great point

Two favs for my small hands: Walther P99C and CZ75.

My wife has tiny (I’m talking XXS gloves here) hands. When I started her on pistols I got her into a Walther P22 because it was the only thing that didn’t “scare” her. But as she got comfortable with firing pistols in general her hand size factored into things less and less. She can fire, and pretty well, everything I have all the way up to my H&K USP 45 Tactical, which is MASSIVE. She can hardly reach the trigger.

I don’t think the gun size has as much to do with the shooter/gun symbiosis as the shooters confidence and skill.

Her “go to” gun is a M&P9 now. It looks like a cannon in her hands but she can get the job done no problem.

+1 for the Walther p99.....

I don't see a 9mm 1911 having any advantage over the Hi-Power, but it is certainly an option. I really like Kahrs, too, but I think the T9 is a bit big and heavy for carry and comes up short on capacity and shootability for a house gun. Is the P99 still in production?

Kahr PM9 or CW9.

I love the Hipower and have one, but for the money (50% or less of the highpower), the Kahr is much better. The Kahr is my CCW gun, and the highpower or a Springfield XD are my fullsize guns.

Have smaller hands too.

BH

My bro has a Walther p99 and it's a great shooter. Natural pointing for me, never a ftf, nice gun.