• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm powder

Blue Dot with 147gr Nosler or SNS coated. Can’t double-charge using Blue Dot, and it burns clean in my Sigs. Keeps a magazine-full of Nosler 147gr in the 10-ring at 25 yards from my old X-5?

So... what are you guys using? I'm running out of titegroup and really want to try something else. Looking at the velocity that n 350 can give you a looks nice. But I think it's too slow for 9mm. I think I've all but settled for n330 for 9mm from 115-147s. I want something that can cover those ranges, is clean, not as smokey as titegroup. Anything else I should consider? Price really isn't a factor I'm powder because it lasts me so long. I wish they had #8s of vv pistol powders.
VV 3n37 is a great choice

Well, I don't load 9mm with bullets lighter than 124 gr, and I tend to load on the hot side of things, but AA #7 is one of my favorites for 9mm, 357 SIG, 45 ACP, and others like 38 Spl +P, and others. I especially like the fact that it is a flash suppressed powder, although I do love me some occasional fireballs & mushroom clouds :). I have other powders I use when special effects are appropriate.

Reactions: locutus
I got a 12 lb keg of 700x out of a storage unit on a property my wife sold. It’s old and I’ve been using it for years. 84,000 grains of powder and I think I’m using 4.5 or 5grains per round. That’s 16,000 rounds. Meters well in my Dillon 650

45acp I use WSF but I’ve heard it works well in 9mm also

What bullet? I use 700x in my 40, I am about to start loading 9mm also. I have used 700x in 44 mag also. It was good for light loads, 240s 1000-1300 FPS.

What bullet? I use 700x in my 40, I am about to start loading 9mm also. I have used 700x in 44 mag also. It was good for light loads, 240s 1000-1300 FPS.

115s and 124s, I don’t remember the exact throw for each bullet but it’s pretty close

Reactions: supercorndogs
Why does everyone seem to like n320 so much? It seems like the velocities listed are pretty low compared to the other slower burning powder
The IDPA and USPSA crowd like to shoot faster burning powders, like n320, titegroup, sport pistol so they can stay just above minimum power factor and keep recoil to a minimum. And once everyone hears that's what the competition guys are shooting, then that's what everyone wants, even though it might not suit their needs. If you're looking for Speed, then Google "9 mm major load data"

they are some hot loads that are way over pressure, but it will give you a good idea for high velocity powders in a 9 mm.

So... what are you guys using? I'm running out of titegroup and really want to try something else. Looking at the velocity that n 350 can give you a looks nice. But I think it's too slow for 9mm. I think I've all but settled for n330 for 9mm from 115-147s. I want something that can cover those ranges, is clean, not as smokey as titegroup. Anything else I should consider? Price really isn't a factor I'm powder because it lasts me so long. I wish they had #8s of vv pistol powders.
I use Power Pistol. I get really good accuracy with it and I can get velocities that match my carry ammo. HS-6 is also good and accurate in 9mm for me as well.

CFE Pistol.

Hodgdon CFE Pistol is a spherical powder that was originally developed for US military application. This excellent pistol propellant utilizes the Hodgdon CFE formula, Copper Fouling Eraser, virtually eliminating copper fouling, plus providing top velocities with clean burning and minimal muzzle flash. For competitive shooters and hand loaders seeking the perfect powder for target or self-defense loads, CFE Pistol provides optimum performance in cartridges like the 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W, the venerable 45 ACP and many more.

I currently buy all of my 9mm because I feel it's preferable to do that from an economical and labor standpoint. But I have also provided the complete setup to do this from a handloading perspective on the assumption that it's very possible that prevailing conditions may change my initial assumptions.

My 9mm powder stock is CFE Pistol.

5gr for 124gr XTP and lighter, in my Ruger American Pistol 9mm, and Ruger PC Carbine 9mm.

IMHO, handgun reloading is about terminal performance and not about accuracy. My competitive handgun experience involved a lot of 2700 Bullseye matches back in the 1990's; and the 50yd slow fire clearly taught me my limits. Now, I no longer compete and my primary purpose would be for defense. I'm OK with 50yd and the handgun, but for beyond that, I will always prefer the PC Carbine.

While I concentrate on rifles now, and have since 2000; my shooting origins were as a pistol competitor.

I believe that the preponderance of handgun accuracy is more about the shooter than about the gun. For me, anyway.

Greg

Last edited:
I use Vectan BA9 for all my pistol loading. 9, 40, 10mm, 45. It meters well, and in my USPSA load 4.8 under a 124gr acme, its money.

ETR-7...bulky, flake, nice case fill in 9 and 45.

A place on the East Coast had it, gone now. Rumor is they bought a big lot of surplus shotgun powder from Spain. Tried some at it shot very well, and got an offer I could not refuse on 38 lbs. At 3.5- 3.8 gns for 9mm and 45, that is going to last me for a bit--thats North of 70k rounds. Wont be changing any time soon....

Shoots very clean, even in cans, and meters pretty darn well on my Dillons.

ZY