• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9MM - Walther PDP or ____________ ?

I find using the tripod a pretty stable situation for zeroing the optics and consistency of comparing ammunition accuracy for each one.
Use either the Manfrotto 322 RC2 or 054 magnesium ballhead / RRS-Anvil 30 tripod connections.
The Hellcat has a Romeo Zero optic with Apex trigger.

View attachment 7892094View attachment 7892095View attachment 7892096View attachment 7892097View attachment 7892098View attachment 7892099
I also did the Apex trigger and Powder River Precision spring kit.

How hard is it to conceal? How do you carry it?
We’ll that’s the downside. I wear it on my belt outside the waistband primarily but IWB as well if I’m wearing a tank top. When I’m away from the house I’m either wearing wranglers with a magelen fishing shirt or drawstring shorts.
It has slightly more mass than a glock 19 and I’m working on carrying it in my drawstring shorts but it’s about to heavy to do it unfortunately. I’ve tried the G48 which I can get my hand to fit with a mag well added but I never liked shooting it plus the shield arms mags rusted pretty bad and I just ditched it, tried the P365 and it’s just flat out to small for my hands period even with the biggest grip module you can get.
So I was running out of options I could stand and tried the p320 compact and the pdp and I’ve been pdp all the way since. If the Slim frame glocks were more refined with quality factory hi cap mags I would be carrying one but they feel and shoot like trash compared to a Walther. If I wanted a smaller gun than the pdp I would probably go with the ppq with no red dot in factory configuration. I’ve had several people switch from glock and CZ and sig to the pdp after they tried mine.

I'm surprised that the Striker Control Device hasn't been mentioned on this thread. It's somewhat controversial in the Glock community, but I have found them to be useful for IWB carry of Glocks (especially AIWB) as an extra security measure when reholstering.

https://langdontactical.com/ltt-striker-control-device-scd/

Walther included a similar feature on their P99 and PPS guns to be able to perceive (and stop) striker movement, which I found very effective; it would be great to see more devices like this offered for newer handguns, as they are relevant for many users, especially those who are familiar with carrying DA/SA or SAO guns in Condition One.

Reactions: Bravo6 and treillw
Anyone know the grip angle on the PDP? Not easy to find online.
Can’t give you a numerical figure but it’s between a p320 and a Glock but closer to the p320 neutral angle which I found much more natural to pull the red dot in my sight picture without expending a couple thousand rounds to beat it into myself like a Glock. My Glock 34 was highly modified and was an impressively fast and smooth shooting gun but like the p320 Walther surpassed glocks low bore axis advantage with improving all the other geometry.

The 43x is a fine pistol, but the aftermarket 15 round mags you mentioned aren't ready for prime time when used for more than low volume target shooting, even with the optional but mandatory aftermarket mag release.

A search of the internet shows problems even with the newest versions when the mags are used for moderate to high volume round counts and under realistic training conditions. Simply put, Glock OEM mags for the 43x/48 are more reliable for EDC, and many comments on the 'net show people relegating the aftermarket 15 rounders to training only.

I can't remember a time prior to this when the gun community included the mention of an aftermarket magazine in order to give a pistol more "round count credibility"- it's a great 10+1 pistol and there's nothing wrong with that in the subcompact pistol category.
I have a Kimber Ultra 3" 1911 in 45 acp. For essentially the same size and practically the same reduced ammo capacity, I'd rather carry the kimber.

The appeal to me of the 43x is the higher round count, red dot, light, thinner profile (although I'm sure my Kimber would conceal just fine AIWB)

I'm surprised that the Sage Dynamics guy is saying that he has 7K + rounds through the mags with no issues...

We’ll that’s the downside. I wear it on my belt outside the waistband primarily but IWB as well if I’m wearing a tank top. When I’m away from the house I’m either wearing wranglers with a magelen fishing shirt or drawstring shorts.
It has slightly more mass than a glock 19 and I’m working on carrying it in my drawstring shorts but it’s about to heavy to do it unfortunately. I’ve tried the G48 which I can get my hand to fit with a mag well added but I never liked shooting it plus the shield arms mags rusted pretty bad and I just ditched it, tried the P365 and it’s just flat out to small for my hands period even with the biggest grip module you can get.
So I was running out of options I could stand and tried the p320 compact and the pdp and I’ve been pdp all the way since. If the Slim frame glocks were more refined with quality factory hi cap mags I would be carrying one but they feel and shoot like trash compared to a Walther. If I wanted a smaller gun than the pdp I would probably go with the ppq with no red dot in factory configuration. I’ve had several people switch from glock and CZ and sig to the pdp after they tried mine.
So it sounds like the only time the PDP is a pain to carry is with drawstring shorts? I would suspect most guns would be a pain in that setup haha. I don't even like my Kahr P380 in my mesh short pocket really.

Can’t give you a numerical figure but it’s between a p320 and a Glock but closer to the p320 neutral angle which I found much more natural to pull the red dot in my sight picture without expending a couple thousand rounds to beat it into myself like a Glock. My Glock 34 was highly modified and was an impressively fast and smooth shooting gun but like the p320 Walther surpassed glocks low bore axis advantage with improving all the other geometry.
I called Walther. They had somebody measure it and said 20 degrees.

So it sounds like the only time the PDP is a pain to carry is with drawstring shorts? I would suspect most guns would be a pain in that setup haha. I don't even like my Kahr P380 in my mesh short pocket really.
lol yeah the p365 was great for drawstring shorts but i cant fit it into my fucking hand. Its blockey like a glock 19 and not that different feeling when on the waist it just outperforms the glock in every way by a wide margine when you start laying lead down range.

Finally thinking about adding a 9mm to the collection. I've heard that there is a ton of marketing hype behind the Walther PDP. When I discovered them, I had not seen a single ad for the them or even heard about them (I enjoy life under the rock). My buddy wanted to see what I thought of it, so I checked it out the the LGS. It was a really nice gun I thought. Great trigger, felt great in the hand, etc. Started watching videos about them and now I want one. Are there any other good 9mms out there that are nicer?

Also would consider the War Poet pistol.

I want it for appendix carry. Top criteria are the trigger, capacity, and concealability.

Thanks!
I'll probably get laughed at here, but I've got a Canik 9mm (Century Arms, about $350 when I got it) I bought early in my Obama inspired gun career, and I've absolutely loved it. 18 rounds at a time, and NEVER a problem despite skipping some cleanings etc. It is on the bulky side, though. Full sized. And heavy. Would make an excellent club if you ran out of ammo or wanted a quieter dispatch.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
I have a Kimber Ultra 3" 1911 in 45 acp. For essentially the same size and practically the same reduced ammo capacity, I'd rather carry the kimber.

The appeal to me of the 43x is the higher round count, red dot, light, thinner profile (although I'm sure my Kimber would conceal just fine AIWB)

I'm surprised that the Sage Dynamics guy is saying that he has 7K + rounds through the mags with no issues...
He gets many free optics from HS and probably gets free aftermarket mags and other products from Shield. He's a decent instructor but he's also an advertainer like most YT gun channels with decent followings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Finally thinking about adding a 9mm to the collection. I've heard that there is a ton of marketing hype behind the Walther PDP. When I discovered them, I had not seen a single ad for the them or even heard about them (I enjoy life under the rock). My buddy wanted to see what I thought of it, so I checked it out the the LGS. It was a really nice gun I thought. Great trigger, felt great in the hand, etc. Started watching videos about them and now I want one. Are there any other good 9mms out there that are nicer?

I want it for appendix carry. Top criteria are the trigger, capacity, and concealability.

Thanks!
I know 2 ppl tgat own a Walther PDO in 9 mm and both love them. Their go to EDC

He gets many free optics from HS and probably gets free aftermarket mags and other products from Shield. He's a decent instructor but he's also an advertainer like most YT gun channels with decent followings.
DUTY USE!!

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
These concerns don't apply to handguns

Not self-defense handguns that are low-recoiling and held with a firm grip.

Stuff like big single-action revolvers are a different story, but that's not what is being discussed.

I got a PDP last year and it felt amazing. Trigger was great, but when I shot it, I lost the hype that I had before.

Shoots good, but the extra muzzle flip over the m&p 2.0's is what caused me to sell it and stick with the m&p.

I was all set to drop smith and order a group of pdp's but just couldnt do it.

I got a PDP last year and it felt amazing. Trigger was great, but when I shot it, I lost the hype that I had before.

Shoots good, but the extra muzzle flip over the m&p 2.0's is what caused me to sell it and stick with the m&p.

I was all set to drop smith and order a group of pdp's but just couldnt do it.
Looks like it shoots pretty flat.

Of course one has to grip it.......

Looks like it shoots pretty flat.

Of course one has to grip it.......

My grip is fine, even my smaller guns shoot flat.. I did make it sound like it was shooting a 454, I suppose.. Its not a crazy difference, but to me atleast, I feel like the m&p shoots a little softer/flatter.

I'm surprised that the Striker Control Device hasn't been mentioned on this thread. It's somewhat controversial in the Glock community, but I have found them to be useful for IWB carry of Glocks (especially AIWB) as an extra security measure when reholstering.

https://langdontactical.com/ltt-striker-control-device-scd/

Walther included a similar feature on their P99 and PPS guns to be able to perceive (and stop) striker movement, which I found very effective; it would be great to see more devices like this offered for newer handguns, as they are relevant for many users, especially those who are familiar with carrying DA/SA or SAO guns in Condition One.

It hasn't been mentioned because it's unnecessary.

The only people who seem to think they are useful are those who are careless and P-F fanbois.

Attachments

• F287B124-A51D-45EB-9A2A-C4CDB3FA01B0.jpeg
    F287B124-A51D-45EB-9A2A-C4CDB3FA01B0.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 77
  • FD21547E-B5F7-43C5-AA65-62FA6071F86A.jpeg
    FD21547E-B5F7-43C5-AA65-62FA6071F86A.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
View attachment 7892165I carried and shot glock 19’s and 34’s in IDPA and USPSA for for 14 years and I tried a PDP and P320 recently and no shit after 10 rounds out of a PDP compact I went home and putt all of me and my wife’s glocks and Zevs up for sale. We now have each a full size pdp with a holosun, factory performance trigger with the springs enhanced springs and Floyd’s magwells and they are phenomenal guns. My carry is a PDP compact with factory performance trigger, Floyd’s mag well and base pads and TLR 7. I’ll putt an aluminum back strap on it and a call it hood. I ran drills with it this weekend again for a few hundred rounds and I simply cannot putt this gun in the same league as a custom Glock 19 even close
Could you enlighten me a little more on how to improve on the trigger further? It sounds like you have some upgrades from stock. Do they affect reliability? Are these available from the factory (I see they have a threaded barrel gun with enhanced trigger on the website)?

Thanks!

Reactions: Bravo6
My PDP factory trigger is good enough, I don't know that an aftermarket trigger is necessary. I think I will purchase a brass backstrap for it to add a little weight to the frame. The recoil of the PDP is hard to quantify. It's a bit snappier I suppose than say a full size Glock, but it returns faster on target. I had no problems shooting it as fast as my skill will allow. It's really splitting hairs as far as saying it actually has more recoil. If you can't handle 9mm recoil from the PDP, something is wrong with your grip or wrist strength.
I had my wife shoot it, who, by any standards is a green pistol shooter at best. She enjoyed the PDP much more than her G42 shooting it side-by-side last week. I can get more accurate hits with my PDP vs my G45, which is what matters. Does the G45 shoot flatter? I don't think I can say either way. I'll try and run them against each other today and post the results; non-scientific of course.
Here's a link to the brass backstrap I'm looking at purchasing eventually to give my PDP a little more weight.

I've got Glocks, would not recommend for appendix carry.
I've got Sigs, they f'n suck.
Got revolvers, etc etc...

THIS is the cats ass, the pigs dick, whatever.
Not going to find a better CCW pistol unless you go custom.

Well, since it doesn't display correctly...
CZ 75 compact.
Good enough capacity, good trigger, great ergonomics, cheap and easy to find mags...and if that isn't possibly enough, have it Cajunized.

Oh, and it isn't plastic.

I just bought a walther pdp. I think it is more comfortable in the hand and has a better trigger than glock or M&P. I typically shoot a m&p but decided to branch out and it has been good so far. Only downside is aftermarket support. I can’t find a optic plate for a holosun 509T. So one of the things I wanted to add to my pistol I can not currently.
CHPWS makes one

My PDP factory trigger is good enough, I don't know that an aftermarket trigger is necessary. I think I will purchase a brass backstrap for it to add a little weight to the frame. The recoil of the PDP is hard to quantify. It's a bit snappier I suppose than say a full size Glock, but it returns faster on target. I had no problems shooting it as fast as my skill will allow. It's really splitting hairs as far as saying it actually has more recoil. If you can't handle 9mm recoil from the PDP, something is wrong with your grip or wrist strength.
I had my wife shoot it, who, by any standards is a green pistol shooter at best. She enjoyed the PDP much more than her G42 shooting it side-by-side last week. I can get more accurate hits with my PDP vs my G45, which is what matters. Does the G45 shoot flatter? I don't think I can say either way. I'll try and run them against each other today and post the results; non-scientific of course.
Here's a link to the brass backstrap I'm looking at purchasing eventually to give my PDP a little more weight.
Just FYI, the trigger I was referring to is made by walther and they put it in their higher end version of the PDP. Dunno if that is considered aftermarket, as it's designed by the manufacturer.

You are correct, the original trigger is great; I just have a trigger fetish.

Gotta call them and see what they say about reliability. It doesn't look like it's changing any springs, so I suspect it's just as reliable, but I may be wrong.

Ya ever notice how glocky the block is.....uhh, blocky the glock is ?
It just don't feel very good all blocky in yer guts.

I've got a brand new gen5 19 and I wouldn't wear it but on a owb belt holster....on the hip or a shoulder holster.
The square ass end of it just digs in, where ever it can.

I've got Glocks, would not recommend for appendix carry.
I've got Sigs, they f'n suck.
Got revolvers, etc etc...

THIS is the cats ass, the pigs dick, whatever.
Not going to find a better CCW pistol unless you go custom.

Well, since it doesn't display correctly...
CZ 75 compact.
Good enough capacity, good trigger, great ergonomics, cheap and easy to find mags...and if that isn't possibly enough, have it Cajunized.

Oh, and it isn't plastic.
I have a cajunized SP-01T and I find it truly mediocre for the price and size. It's a wannbe race gun without any of the good qualities of a race gun. Even with the most aggressive palm swell grips I could find it doesn't give me as good of a grip as my G45 does. It needs skate tape on it to be any better. The slide release is too far forward, the accuracy is good but nothing special, the trigger takeup is long even as a cajunized kit in single action. It's fine. It's a $1,300+ gun that shoots like a well polished $500 gun and carries like a brick. The P-01 has an aluminum frame and is a little smaller, but once I'm in that dimension I want a full sized glock. I just find the cajunized CZ world to be way overrated. They're good guns, but I prefer my Glock.

I have a cajunized SP-01T and I find it truly mediocre for the price and size. It's a wannbe race gun without any of the good qualities of a race gun. Even with the most aggressive palm swell grips I could find it doesn't give me as good of a grip as my G45 does. It needs skate tape on it to be any better. The slide release is too far forward, the accuracy is good but nothing special, the trigger takeup is long even as a cajunized kit in single action. It's fine. It's a $1,300+ gun that shoots like a well polished $500 gun and carries like a brick. The P-01 has an aluminum frame and is a little smaller, but once I'm in that dimension I want a full sized glock. I just find the cajunized CZ world to be way overrated. They're good guns, but I prefer my Glock.
So.
You're upset you bought a SP-01, that much is obvious.
You have small hands (even though you didn't say so) that is also obvious.

Did you note that I did not recommend a SP-01 ?
I recommended a CZ 75 compact.
BTW, I've got a CZ97BD which is a much larger pistol and the slide release falls nearly perfect for me and I have a very nice stock trigger on it and have no need to change it. I do not have small hands.
I have a few Glocks, I don't think in any way is it in the same league as an all metal pistol.
They are cheap for a reason.

So.
You're upset you bought a SP-01, that much is obvious.
You have small hands (even though you didn't say so) that is also obvious.

Did you note that I did not recommend a SP-01 ?
I recommended a CZ 75 compact.
BTW, I've got a CZ97BD which is a much larger pistol and the slide release falls nearly perfect for me and I have a very nice stock trigger on it and have no need to change it. I do not have small hands.
I have a few Glocks, I don't think in any way is it in the same league as an all metal pistol.
They are cheap for a reason.
I don’t hate it, I think it’s nothing special in the current world of guns. I have average size dude hands. I like aggressive grips. The P-01 is fine, I considered one for a while, but putting optics on them is a pain and the trigger in any of the firing pin block models is only just ok at best. It’s fine, they’re good guns, but they’re so close at best to any stock polymer gun that if I wanted something better I’d grab a tac sport orange for fun. For a carry gun, if the P-01 fits you that’s sweet, but it turns into an expensive project gun that isn’t that much better than any of the common poly frame guns.

Could you enlighten me a little more on how to improve on the trigger further? It sounds like you have some upgrades from stock. Do they affect reliability? Are these available from the factory (I see they have a threaded barrel gun with enhanced trigger on the website)?

Thanks!
I have the same walther dynamic performance on all 3 pdp’s with the springco springs and I love them. 100% reliable, Personally I don’t mind it on my carry gun, the apex may be a little to racy for carry I think it feels lighter and faster than the factory comp trigger. The trigger is the same as the SD pro your referring to. The overwatch precision trigger is good to .

How are these guns with steel case ammo? Any issues?

I reload for everything, but it's a pain to always be searching for the brass.

Thanks!
I spent month's seeking advice on a 9 mm, either the just released PDP, or SA XDM Elite. I went to every LGS in my area and posed the question. Those that didn't offer Walther suggested others I might also look at, all of which i tried, but in the end all recommended the PDP because of Walther reputation for trigger's.

When they started hitting stores, I went in and handled both the full size and compact, compact had a better feel, it just fit! It became a question of if I could locate a 5" or 4" first, the full size was getting available, but it seemed most preferred the feel of the compact. A few weeks later I checked Sportsman's website and found a C4 a few hours away, so brought it online, jumped in the car and straight there! The smile as I sat in the parking lot holding it.

A year later, I'm still happy with the choice. While the factory sights were dead on at 25 yards, I added a 509T. Since a can for my 9 mms is part of the long term plan, I picked up a threaded barrel, then a PMM comp. She's been back to Foxfire Finishes, the folks who do Walther s Cerakote work for a custom job.

For now, I'll leave her as is. This is the pic of that Foxfire had on their website.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1650884458217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1650884458217.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Looked hard at various PDP models and ended up with the Canik METE SFT Pro which I purchased today. I plan on stipling more of the grip and it's a bit larger than the PDP compact or full-sized with the 4" barrel. The trigger is better than the PDP, without question which is saying something. It's as close to my Beretta LTT Elite (in SA mode) as I've come across with a striker fired pistol. The regular METE is likely a better comparison from a size/feature standpoint to the PDP.
-The PDP build quality, the actual machining of the slide, etc...seems a bit more detailed and exudes quality. Stylistically, the Canik looks a bit cheaper if that matters.
-The Canik METE Pro slide/upper is definitely heavier the the PDP. The Canik feels more top heavy than the PDP and probably leads to a feeling that the Canik is softer shooting.
-The Canik is just more feature rich. Has a threaded barrel, two mags (three additional mags free with current promotion), tool kit, extra parts, mag well, polished feed ramp, fluted barrel, backstraps, mag releases, etc...for $300 less than the PDP Pro which is comparable from a feature standpoint. It'll cost you well over $200, closer to $300, to add a threaded barrel to the "normal" PDP.
-The PDP grip texture and texture placement overall is superior as it extends higher up on the gun. I plan on adding stipling to the Canik grip higher up near thumb cutout. Both are very ergonomic overall. I think the reach to the trigger is slightly shorter on the PDP but either provides a great platform grip wise.
-The Canik slide release is ultra-stiff. Like two thumbs on either side to release the slide stiff. Fucking ridiculous. Hopefully that loosens up.
-The overall precision feel of both are identical from a mechanical standpoint (slide release not withstanding).
-The Canik barrel is polished/fluted and looks like it's custom/aftermarket. I personally don't like the bright silver finish but others might. The barrel detailing was over the top though. Seems really well finished and a peek with a bore scope didn't reveal any issues, nothing but quality. I haven't determined whether it's a tight chamber or not just yet.
-The PDP compact or full sized with the 4" barrel, at least in my neck of the woods, is a good bit more expensive than the even the METE Pro.
-I do wish the METE Pro came in a sub 5" threaded barrel configuration and a shorter slide.
-Tritium front sight on the Canik. I'll be adding an RDO though.
-The mag well on the Canik is removable.
-If you have to shoot someone in self defense, Canik will send you another gun, same one, while you go through the legal process.
In the end, the extras with the Canik (which is a evolutionary version of a Walther design), better trigger, threaded barrel and lower cost won me over. It won't be a conceal carry however and I'd likely choose something different for that. This is more of a "disposable" gun that I'll keep in my vehicle.