• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing _delete_

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
ok i think i have located a used AICS stock, very pleased we will see if that comes through, im getting a Remington 700 varmint rifle from dicks their on sale atm,(i understand the adl varmint stock is probly the worst of the Remington 700 stocks) and im going to order a barrel blank and have my action blueprinted.

1#: ok here is my plan, going to get stock and use it hopefully for match in October in Florida the 700 varmint is a adl i believe do i need anything to put stock on the AICS chassie, scene its not bdl?? is this a waist of time? (I will be buying the stock anyways weather i use in in October or not)

#2 going to order barrel blank for 308, i dont know what company to go with tips would be helpful, i will be hand loading do i need to "slug" the barrel or do i just go with 308 cal bullets? i know in handguns this is not a issue, i make my own lead bullets in 9mm and 45 i check them every once in and wile using lee molds. (for practice only wouldn't shoot match with lead my self [personal preference])

#3 (after October and hunting season) when i get my action blueprinted, and barrel installed will that help in the bolt travel, I.E. when i cycle the action, will it be faster and smother? if not do i need to polish anything?

your help in these questions would be very very helpful trying to fugue this all out have done a good amount of research on the hide as well as other sights, i can not afford a custom 700 action and have been told from hide members that the stock is good enough.

ANY OTHER THINGS I NEED TO THINK ABOUT PLEASE POINT ME IN DIRECTION PLEASE <--- caps so if your tired of reading

Extremely Respectfully
Cowboy1978

Re: help with rifel build please,

I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I understand them. Bear in mind these are my opinions and I'm only speaking from my experiences.

#1- I can't help you with #1 because I don't understand what is meant by put the stock "on scene". I'm not a tactical shooter (I shoot benchrest) but I assuming that you are referring to the stock having a blind magazine instead of a DBM.

#2- I would order a Kreiger. I would also shoot Berger bullets.
If you're going to use the 185's or heavier I would get a
10 twist. A lot of people will tell you a 12 twist but in
my experience the 10 works very well for 185's and up.
Slugging a rifle barrel is pushing a lead slug through a
barrel blank to feel for tight and loose spots to make sure
the barrel is any good before you chamber it.

#3- You will need to talk with you gunsmith about this one and
see what they mean when they say blueprint an action. I
know custom actions are expensive but a lot of times by
time you buy an action and then pay what it cost to have
one blueprinted you have invested the same amount of
money. Check the link out at the bottom of the page it's
surgeon action that is a very nice action for a .308win
build. Like I've already said by the time you buy the 700
and have it blueprinted you could have bought this action.

P.S. There's a series of videos on the gunsmithing main page that shows what is involved in truing up an action. These videos will help you understand what all goes into truing an action up and why it is so expensive. Keep in mind these videos show a gunsmith truing up an action after that the gunsmith still has to time the action.

Good luck with your build, Brian Brown.

Brownells

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I understand them. Bear in mind these are my opinions and I'm only speaking from my experiences.

#1- I can't help you with #1 because I don't understand what is meant by put the stock "on scene". I'm not a tactical shooter (I shoot benchrest) but I assuming that you are referring to the stock having a blind magazine instead of a DBM.

#2- I would order a Kreiger. I would also shoot Berger bullets.
If you're going to use the 185's or heavier I would get a
10 twist. A lot of people will tell you a 12 twist but in
my experience the 10 works very well for 185's and up.
Slugging a rifle barrel is pushing a lead slug through a
barrel blank to feel for tight and loose spots to make sure
the barrel is any good before you chamber it.

#3- You will need to talk with you gunsmith about this one and
see what they mean when they say blueprint an action. I
know custom actions are expensive but a lot of times by
time you buy an action and then pay what it cost to have
one blueprinted you have invested the same amount of
money. Check the link out at the bottom of the page it's
surgeon action that is a very nice action for a .308win
build. Like I've already said by the time you buy the 700
and have it blueprinted you could have bought this action.

P.S. There's a series of videos on the gunsmithing main page that shows what is involved in truing up an action. These videos will help you understand what all goes into truing an action up and why it is so expensive. Keep in mind these videos show a gunsmith truing up an action after that the gunsmith still has to time the action.

Good luck with your build, Brian Brown.

Brownells
</div></div>

Thank you for your reply, i did not find the action you listed in your reply, the ones i was looking at where starting at 1500 and up, but they had that rail machined in to them as well.

For the price of the Remington action from brownells, just the stock one is 499.00, that is how much the whole Remington 700 varmint chambered in 308 is at dicks sporting goods with a cheep glass on it for hunting season (hunt in North Ga longest shot taken their 328 yard by my cousin so i doubt in need a better glass for that,that's why i decided to go that rought).

you are correct in the meaning of slugging the barrel in a point, it is also used to find out the caliber of the barrel but in this case it would be a 308. I was looking at a Stainless Douglas Premium XX Barrel 29.5 inches long 1.2 bull, having the muzzle turned down and threaded and 1:12 twist depending on the anumition testing i do with the stock barrel and my hand loading, a 1:10 twist at 25-6 inches would be almost 3 full twist i think that would affect my muzzel quite a bit, but agin 25-6 inchs may be exssive for the powder, primers bullet grain....., i may even have to cut back on the length, this is stuff i will go over when presenting the dope book to gunsmith at time of truing action and installing barrel . Also benchmark has a pretty cool octagon barrel that be different, almost same dimensions, and their others, now this is just what i have been looking at they range from 250-400.00 the Kreiger is in that price range and are a good option to go with.

as far as Blueprinting i think the closet guy to me is X Ring Accuracy in Tampa fl (4 hrs away) probably ship it to them. their might be a guy in Jacksonville Fl but i don't know, If any of you do and if he a ok guy well maybe but probably x-ring for the time being, have to call get pricing and so on, let the admiral know because i don't work anymore and see what she says

thank you for your insight

Respectfully

If you are starting from scratch, it's not really worth starting with a remington action.
You can get into a stiller or defiance around $900 and be ready to have a barrel fitted.
Custom actions offer better tolerances and nice features you just can't get on a remington action.
You can build a very nice gun on a remington action, but you basically lose all money spent on machine work when you go to sell the gun.
Guns built on custom actions will hold their value better when you decide you want something else.

I have a thread on our Caprc forum about building a custom rifle in a month and it has links to suppliers with custom actions and barrel blanks in-stock.
http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1114

a 700 is a great action to work with as can be seen at many matches. I do agree, however if you're starting from scratch it's kind of moot to buy an entire gun, throw out the barrel and stock just to get an action. You can sell the barrel and stock but it wont fetch much.

regarding barrels, I've used Hart, Schneider, Shelien and Douglass over the years...the Schneider barrel was the best shooter. I reciently asked the same question regarding rebarreling my 700 Rock Creek and Krieger were a couple that were suggested.

Before you just go buy the 700, take a look in the classifides here. I know there is an action maker in the 900 to 1500 dollar range. When you consider you'll pay about 600 bucks to get your action bluprinted the custom action may be a better choice

I will have to look in to it. It us going to be spread over a few months of build becouse of $ and looking a nother rifel too I will get on line tonight and look at actions. I didn't think the gunsmithing cost that much. I thought total gun smithing that to include outing barrel on action but as I stated I have not talked to any gunsmith at this moment

Thank you for the input keep it coming I do thank u