• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

a better way to hold brass while prepping

aiyadude

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
i like to reload about a 100 rounds at a time and i find that my thumb starts to fatigue from holding the brass. this happens when i prep the primer area. is there any tool that can firmly hold the brass or some technique people have during this process? my thumb with give you thanks
smile.gif

Re: a better way to hold brass while prepping

Force_Multiplier, good idea I will have to try that one to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lee primer pocket cleaner in a drill... hold the brass stationary and let the drill spin the tool </div></div>

This is how I handle my primer pocket cleaning/uniforming and flash hole tapering as well.

Maybe you could try a strip from a mousepad to give your thumb a little cushion and lesson amount of pressure required.

I find not prepping brass at all works great in all regards.

I used to use the plastic Federal bandoliers to hold 10 cases at a time to clean/uniform primer pockets. It was better than holding each case individually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use the plastic Federal bandoliers to hold 10 cases at a time to clean/uniform primer pockets. It was better than holding each case individually. </div></div>

Now THAT is a fantastic idea. I'll put that to use this weekend.

I used to uniform primer pockets, debur flash holes, tuen necks, etc., now, I just load and shoot. Every other loading I use SS media on them. I am not a good enough shooter to see the difference of unprepped vs prepped brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lee primer pocket cleaner in a drill... hold the brass stationary and let the drill spin the tool </div></div>

well that is kinda what i do but sometimes it takes some kind of force to hold the brass stationary. its ok for a bit but down the road it starts to bother me.

maybe the cut up mouse pad thing will help because it really is the angle my thumb is at. bad joint mechanics.

I put on a heavy leather work glove to help grip the brass. Woks good but will try the bandolier trick.

Thanks for the bandolier trick. I use leather gloves when the going gets rough.

Used to have the same problem. I bought the rcbs prep station, and it eliminated the hand cramps. I also changed to lapua brass to reduce brass work

I had a bunch of those knitted gloves that had the palms dipped in a "grip enhancing" compound made of some kind of rubberized vinyl.

I wear on on my "holding hand" and don't have to squeeze the case as tight when cleaning or uniforming primer pockets using a tool turned by a cordless drill.

Not having to squeeze as tight keeps my hand from cramping like it used to.

I like the glove idea. I'll give that a try.

If you clean with stainless steel media, the primer pockets come out perfectly clean. If you use good brass like Lapua, there is no primer prep necessary between loadings.

I haven't touched a primer pocket since I went to the stainless steel method. It hasn't hurt my scores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aiyadude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like to reload about a 100 rounds at a time and i find that my thumb starts to fatigue from holding the brass. this happens when i prep the primer area. is there any tool that can firmly hold the brass or some technique people have during this process? my thumb with give you thanks
smile.gif
</div></div>

I use a pair of needle nose pliers. I used a dremel with a sanding stone and just slowly closed the pliers while the dremel was spinning until I got a nice round hole in the middle. It takes very little pressure to hold the case and neither my palm nor my thumb hurts anymore. No marks on the cases either.

The guy who was helping me learn reloading would take a used golf ball and drill a neck sized hole thru the ball and then counter sink a hole the diameter and approx. depth to the shoulder. You just stick the neck in the hole,has to be a close tolorence to hold the case tight, and do your primer pockets on the prep station. Seemed to work pretty good for me.

Disposable nitrile latex gloves from the hardware store work for me. The rubber-dipped grippy gloves would be my second choice - I like the slightly higher dexterity afforded by the latex gloves, though.

+1 on gloves. I snipped the fingers of 3 latex disposables so they would not trap air and put one in another. The 3 now provided enough bulk to make a "handle" and would grip the cartridge without slipping as they were wrapped around the base.

Smaller brass is harder on my old hands than the bigger stuff. Add some case lube and it's a killer. I processed a boatload of .223 brass a while back and ended up using a case holder that came with my Sinclair neck turner (pic below). You can get the tool by itself for $20. RBCS also sells a case holder but I've never seen one in person.

After sizing, this gizmo will hold a slippery case for all the other prep. I use a Sinclair uniformer in a drill, an RBCS Case Prep center for the flash hole and then trim in a Gracey. No marks on the case. Just spin that thumbwheel and it's tight. Loosen it just a tiny bit and the case falls out. If I have a hundreds to do, I wear a cheap cotton workglove to keep the serrated thumbwheel from giving me a blister.

112786349.jpg

I used to clean the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, all that stuff. Now I just tumble, size, load, and shoot.

I'm getting SD's of 7fps and the group is shooting in the low 3s to high 2s...

If you want to go the extra mile every 4th or 5th firing, that's cool and probably not a terrible idea. Full prep every firing? That's pretty benchresty!