• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater A few good binge-watch shows you may not have heard of

Yellowhammer

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2018
North Alabama
The Same Sky - Spy show (disregard the leftist parts)
Ozark - Breaking bad with rednecks
Deutschland 83 - Spy show
Babylon Berlin - Berlin in the 30's crime drama
Man in the High Tower - Weird sci-fi alternative history

Add to the list if you have them. My wife works long hours so I watch obscure stuff after the kids go to bed.

Reactions: Leozinho
Oh, I only watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon --all 3 still cheaper than cable and no commercials! And with Amazon I can pay for something new if I want too.

There's lots of good stuff on there. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon is pretty funny. Orange is the new Black is okay and you're wife will like it. The new "Lost in Space" is a must see, totally redone and better IMO. Answers a lot of questions I had about the first one. The new Star Trek is on CBS online; if you have Amazon you can get this for free for a week or a month, I forget. With Amazon, you can basically get HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and all of them for free once a year. There's enough on there to get six months of free extras alone.

GLOW --it's awesome, what can I say. I remember when that was on TV the first time though!
Lemony Snicket --great for kids too. Patrick Walburton is awesome in it, essentially playing himself. He was Elaine's boyfriend "Vegetable Lasagna" on Seinfeld.
The Tick --superhero comedy. Patrick Walburton plays Patrick Walburton in it too!
Black Mirror --a modern Twilight Zone, lots of good actors play roles in it too.
Fringe --few years older but if you haven't seen it and like sci fi you should. Keeps you until the end.
11.21.63 --Stephen King's time travel alternate history Kennedy assassination. Awesome.

There's one I forget, "Mind of a Killer" or something? It's about a cop researching serial killers. I think it's a true story. Season one ended with him getting this one serial killer to really open up.

There are tons of good documentaries and documentary series too.

WW2 in Color --must see if you haven't.
Hitler's Bodyguard --Nazi shit just gets ever more complex, no?
Search for "Nuclear" in Amazon, pretty much all of those documentaries.

The Bomb --this one doesn't fit in a category but it's a movie. Or a documentary. Sort of. It's worth mentioning because of how completely different it is. It's got some Phillip Glass-ish techno music (Glass is known for repetitive, trance like neo-classical music) that goes well with the timed movements of soldiers in formation, nuclear tests, etc. It's atmospheric, it's the only way I know to put it. I put this on while I was loading last night and had to stop it so I could pay attention. I think the music is by "Acid Test" and it definitely seems like something you'd watch while on it.

So there's a few more obscure ones. I could go on but long lists glaze me over. These came off the top of my head. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu all have some of the same content, but each one has it's own perks. Amazon is best for documentaries by far but changes popular programming less. It also has less original content and isn't extravagant in that content as the other two. Netflix is best all around. Hulu... It's hard to say where Hulu fits in. It's kinda like Netflix but with less, however, of the three I think it's grown the most in the last few years. Crackle has some interesting stuff but you have to endure commercials; they have some original content now too that's good.

Oh, I only watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon --all 3 still cheaper than cable and no commercials! And with Amazon I can pay for something new if I want too.

There's lots of good stuff on there. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon is pretty funny. Orange is the new Black is okay and you're wife will like it. The new "Lost in Space" is a must see, totally redone and better IMO. Answers a lot of questions I had about the first one. The new Star Trek is on CBS online; if you have Amazon you can get this for free for a week or a month, I forget. With Amazon, you can basically get HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and all of them for free once a year. There's enough on there to get six months of free extras alone.

GLOW --it's awesome, what can I say. I remember when that was on TV the first time though!
Lemony Snicket --great for kids too. Patrick Walburton is awesome in it, essentially playing himself. He was Elaine's boyfriend "Vegetable Lasagna" on Seinfeld.
The Tick --superhero comedy. Patrick Walburton plays Patrick Walburton in it too!
Black Mirror --a modern Twilight Zone, lots of good actors play roles in it too.
Fringe --few years older but if you haven't seen it and like sci fi you should. Keeps you until the end.
11.21.63 --Stephen King's time travel alternate history Kennedy assassination. Awesome.

There's one I forget, "Mind of a Killer" or something? It's about a cop researching serial killers. I think it's a true story. Season one ended with him getting this one serial killer to really open up.

There are tons of good documentaries and documentary series too.

WW2 in Color --must see if you haven't.
Hitler's Bodyguard --Nazi shit just gets ever more complex, no?
Search for "Nuclear" in Amazon, pretty much all of those documentaries.

The Bomb --this one doesn't fit in a category but it's a movie. Or a documentary. Sort of. It's worth mentioning because of how completely different it is. It's got some Phillip Glass-ish techno music (Glass is known for repetitive, trance like neo-classical music) that goes well with the timed movements of soldiers in formation, nuclear tests, etc. It's atmospheric, it's the only way I know to put it. I put this on while I was loading last night and had to stop it so I could pay attention. I think the music is by "Acid Test" and it definitely seems like something you'd watch while on it.

So there's a few more obscure ones. I could go on but long lists glaze me over. These came off the top of my head. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu all have some of the same content, but each one has it's own perks. Amazon is best for documentaries by far but changes popular programming less. It also has less original content and isn't extravagant in that content as the other two. Netflix is best all around. Hulu... It's hard to say where Hulu fits in. It's kinda like Netflix but with less, however, of the three I think it's grown the most in the last few years. Crackle has some interesting stuff but you have to endure commercials; they have some original content now too that's good.

Some good suggestions I'll have to look into.
I tried the new lost in space, couldn't get into to it. Same with Mind of a Killer.

Glow was good. I want to check out the Stephen King one you mentioned.

A couple more I forgot:

Heavy Water War
Occupied
Godless

HBO:
Westworld - Awesome scifi/western storyline with a ton of meat to sink your teeth in to and think about
Generation Kill - Surprisingly hilarious show about a Force Recon batallion in the early days of Desert Shield/Storm
Carnivale - Weird, mind bendy show about Good vs Evil set in the great depression
Rome - Salve, Citizen. Bloody, but really excellent character development tied in to some loose history

Netflix:
Hollywood Weapons - I was skeptical at first, Terry Schappert nails exactly the right amount of cheesiness that keeps me watching, they do a pretty good job testing weapon myths from movies and TV
Shooter (Netflix Original) - A little cringey, but good enough to keep me interested. Season 1 is far superior to Season 2. You could really just stop at season 1 and not miss much
Punisher (Netflix Original) - Slow start, but builds steam quickly and keep on the gas. Interesting take on Frank Castle
Altered Carbon - Futuristic detective story, Dichen Lachmann (be still my heart), reminds me of Firefly if they were detectives.

Ozark was good. The Man in the high tower, I have tried to watch a couple of times but just could not get into it. But, Sons of Anarchy was also that way for me. When I finally connected with it, I was hooked.

I prefer shows where the good guy wins, is light hearted, with adventure. So True Lies is one of my favorite movies. I don't like to see bad things for entertainment.
Chuck, available on Netflix, was one of my favorite binge shows. Spy show with "headquarters" under an electronics store like Best Buy. Adventure, love story, spy story, plot twists, good guy always wins....
Would love to find another series like Chuck...
Loved the Tick, most anything with Patrick Walburton is a good show. It took a couple of shows for me. Don't know if its the actors and writers getting a new show together or me understanding the show.... I'm slow that way...

Last edited:
No longer watching Netflix...for obvious reasons.
So limited to Amazon. Wife watching Lark Rising a girl show. Ahem, not me.
Missed Kung Fu, when it was running, so watching it one episode at a time. Amazing to see some old actors who later got good gigs. And the guy who played David Lo Pan in big Trouble in Little China, shows up in this program several times as different guys. Captain Kirk, plays a Scot Captain (!), Kenshi Shubuya, the wrestler from the early 1960's (Japanese bad guy, teamed with Mitsu Arakawa)) has a couple of parts.
Sneaky Pete. Tense.
Tin Star: Very good cop series.
The Expanse: Great Sci Fi Earth Vs Mars vs Asteroid miners. Lots of intrigue and very good effects.
Every body should have watched Justified by now. and read Elmore Leonards books that the series is based on. Wow.
Fortitude. Without a doubt. And any other spin offs of Scandinavian productions. They are TENSE.
Eureka: Aww, it's ok, I guess. Some of the characters are a bit goofy, and same thing happens every episode, but some of the actors are great, such as the black guy Henry, who knows just about everything.
Goliath: Billy Bob Thornton. And an amazing supporting cast, especially the blond attorney who helps him reluctantly.
Mad Dogs. 6 episodes. It will screw with your mind. Very good thriller. Over the hill guys who never did anything (Slackers?), get in over their heads.
Watched Burn Notice all the way through, but it could have ended in one season.
Start with that, get back to me.

I’m sure i’ll catch shit for this, but SIX on the History Channel has been good. The recruitment of American lone wolf terrorists is a scary reality.

I read over the posts and didn't see that Altered Carbon made anyone list. It's a well made sci-fi story that jumps around about as much as pulp fiction. The story is good, graphics and acting is well done as well. But it's not child friendly (nudity and drug use)

I'll also mention that Lost in space is a great choice as well. The whole family can sit down and watch.

Have cable but I never watch it. Netflix shows:
Longmire
The Ranch
Shooter
Z Nation
The Transporter
Narcos
El Chapo
Fauda
The 100

I bought the Fortitude, Season 1 DVD and loved at, had no idea there were more seasons until it just got posted here and I looked it up on IMDB.

Then, I was going to post about Wallander with Branagh, and found this.

Greg

Just found out Fortitude Season 2 is free with my Prime membership. Woo Hoo!

Read Expanse, loved it, and the series does a good job with it; Purefoy is especially good, playing a weird role.

Last edited:
An oldie that was popular but got eliminated at the end of the 3rd season was Deadwood on HBO

Violent, demeaning to women and other races and "liberal" use of the C word

Vikings was pretty badass too, especially the first 4 seasons. After three or four episodes you’ll be hooked. Good acting, gratuitous violence & before you know you’ll be caught up through season 5.

The Last Kingdom was very good as well. It’s another Viking series.

Reactions: PBWalsh and fx77
The Americans Amazon Prime

Yeah, "The Americans" is great! Does a good job taking you back to the 80's cold war and Soviet spies trained to fit in.

All these are really good choices actually, never seen Expanse so I'll have to check that out since so many have brought it up.

Yeah, "The Americans" is great! Does a good job taking you back to the 80's cold war and Soviet spies trained to fit in.

All these are really good choices actually, never seen Expanse so I'll have to check that out since so many have brought it up.

If you like the spy stuff check out Deutschland 83 and The Same Sky

Newsroom - it was on hbo years ago, but is now on amazon. I was surprised that this has become one of my favorite shows. It is meaningful while being funny and entertaining as well.

Parenthood, especially if you have kids and siblings is great as well.

Altered carbon is excellent. But definitely not with the kids...

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Better Off Ted
Arrested Development
My Name is Earl.
The Mic
How i met your Mother. The only show I have seen with canned laughter that was actually funny.

Blacklist - I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. James Spader is excellent in it.

Meateater - not usually a hunting show guy but this one is really good and not your typical hunting show.

Gymkana Files - on amazon prime if you want to see behind the scenes of some insane driving and unreal cars.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Justified...one of the best endings of a series in a long time.

Justified is one of my all time favorites.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bosch or The Wire. Both programs are excellent, with The Wire being among the TV Dramas ever (it was really ahead of it's time).

Some other's I've enjoyed that I haven't seen listed yet:

Southland
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy
Battlestar Galactica
Mad Men
House of Cards (the first 2-3 seasons)
Sherlock (BBC series)
Person of Interest
Stranger Things
Peaky Blinders
The Big Bang Theory

Reactions: fx77
I would add to this "mad dogs" on Amazon prime. One season, meant to be one season, first episode feels really lame until the last 5 minutes- then your hooked

For those that enjoy Vikings, check out Norsemen on Netflix. It's basically a Vikings parody.

And if you haven't already watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific, they're both available on Amazon.

Bosch old school with a 1911.
Selleck in Blue Bloods. Chiefs special I think.
Justified. Art trying to knock Raylen on his ass season 3 or 4.
Yep a killer ending in season 6. Killer beginning in season 1 in Miami.
Deadwood. Just starting now
Americans a late add

Reactions: fx77
Rake on NF..very funny Australian story of a totally fked up , gambling, drinking, whoring, but very good lawyer. Multiple episodes

Reactions: Laseredge
One of my favorites, but be forewarned, it only aired one season before it was cancelled (not because the show was bad), was HBO’s Luck. I am a huge horse racing guy though.

Lots of good ones mentioned. A couple I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Ray Donovan - Showtime series
Billions - also a Showtime series.

Really like the Jack Ryan series. Was surprised that I bought Jim from The Office as a CIA guy but thought he was good. And the 'Shooter' series, despite how totally unrealistic and believable it was, was pretty entertaining as well.

This is a bit under the radar but I REALLY liked Pennyworth. It's the back story of Alfred Pennyworth and how he fell in with Thomas Wayne. Alternative universe stuff but the story is excellent and there are some interesting characters like a Alan Turing type and Alistair Crowley...