• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

a few questions.

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
Hey, I finally got all my stuff in to put together my rifle, a Remington 700 5R mil-spec; I just have a few questions being this is my first time setting up a scoped rifle.

1. Is it normal for the 700's to come from the factory so dusty? when I got the rifle the box was taped like from the factory but, when it was opened the rifle was all dusty and covered in Styrofoam pieces and like plastic shavings, also the stock had some edges with fiberglass shavings still hanging off, like from the molding and "spider web" finish. Is this normal, I have bought many new handguns and rifles/shotguns and they are not usually like that, though this is my first Remington gun.

2. When I get a new gun I always clean it before shooting. With the 700 should I remove the stock when I clean for the first time or just use a bore guide and do the barrel, chamber, bolt, and wipe down exposed metal?
Also how often should I take the stock off and disassemble the bolt for cleaning? Is the torque 65 in/lbs. for this gun?

3. Is this video accurate on a scope install http://youtu.be/lQgXPA4A2J0 I have the Badger ordnance instructions also which I will use too.

4. Where should I place the rings on the base? I know on the scope they should be as far apart as possible but when I do that there is some room on the base. Should it be centered on the base, or to the front?

5. should I use the Tubb Final Finish Ammo and TMS Ammo (the pre-loaded ones) for the first range trip to break in the barrel?

sorry for all the questions.
Thanks,
Anthony Z.

Re: a few questions.

1. its normal, just clean it off

2. 65 in-lbs is correct for action screws

3. follow video instructions. good video

4. see video

5. no need, just shoot it

I cant comment on the packaging, I know 1st impressions are important but it has no effect on accuracy.

You may want to remove the action from the stock to inspect, clean, and properly torque action screws, but there is no need to remove the action unless you need to access/clean the trigger.

As far as scope mounting and ring placement, the most important thing is proper eye relief. I will try to get the rings as close to the center of the scope tube as possible, but again, eye relief is the deciding factor.

I would shoot it before you concern yourself with the finnal finish, it may improve barrel clean up, Rem barrels tend to have some rough tooling in the barrel but it doesnt always affect accuracy.

Kirk R

thanks for the replies so far.
one more thing would blue loctite work for under the base? the badger ordnance instructions says red; I was thinking that might be bad if I ever want to remove the base?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure why Badger Ordnance wants you to put loctite under the base. Take a look at this video on installing and bedding a scope base on a Remington 700 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoW5bHQqgis&feature=player_embedded It was done by one of our members, LoneWolfUSMC. Quite often, scope bases don't match perfectly with the recievers. Bedding addresses that issue. </div></div>

The instructions said that it was to keep water from seeping in between the base and rifle and causing rust? do you think I should skip that step?

Thanks for the video it is very helpful, along with the other parts. I hope I don't have to bed the base that's the part I was worried about doing myself...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWZ1287</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure why Badger Ordnance wants you to put loctite under the base. Take a look at this video on installing and bedding a scope base on a Remington 700 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoW5bHQqgis&feature=player_embedded It was done by one of our members, LoneWolfUSMC. Quite often, scope bases don't match perfectly with the recievers. Bedding addresses that issue. </div></div>

The instructions said that it was to keep water from seeping in between the base and rifle and causing rust? do you think I should skip that step?

Thanks for the video it is very helpful, along with the other parts. I hope I don't have to bed the base that's the part I was worried about doing myself...lol </div></div>

Yes it is for the water, from what the web sight says on their pdf i saw, i would look at the beading and torque on the bolts as stated by Captain Kirk and his suggestions

rspectfully

If you don't need to bed the base or choose not to, then the layer of loctite would be a good idea. I believe the R5 has a stainless reciever, but the scope base is not. As it is, stainless can rust, just takes a lot longer.