• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship A first for me today

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
I went and shot about 1830 today. 495yds, on steel, the sun was at my 3oclock, and was on 12x. I was able to see the trace from the bullet, before it impacted, the splash, then the explosion of the bullet on the steel. I was so excited, had never seen my own trace before, much less be able to see the splash, and the explosion of a bullet on impact, I was pretty stoked, and still am.

Re: A first for me today

Thats pretty cool! never seen that with a rifle, but have been able to see .45 acp go 100 yards and impact.

Thanks, I was pretty stoked, especially after I realised what i was seeing (im dense it took 10rds to figure out what I was seeing)

My range faces west and I can see the copper on the bullet like a streak on the way to the target when shooting in the AM with the sun behind me. It is really cool and I have a very good idea of the group and location of it prior to seeing it. One thing that suprises me is that I do not see as much arc as I know it takes to get there with the .308. I am guessing I see the bullet for the last 250 yards or so, but it appears fairly flat.

I've never seen trace from the rifle scope, I've recently suspected its because I have the magnification dialed up when shooting at 800-1000, I suspect a wider field of view helps you see it.

I do see the frag splash when the projectiles hit the steel and it definitely is cool. Sometimes its a challenge to hear a hit at 1000 on steel if the wind is kickin' but its sweet if you see that little star pattern when the projectile explodes!

What magnification is your glass?

Rich

a) great shooting b)where'd you do it? I only ask as I noticed you live in CA as well, and going off of your usage of "stoked" I'm familiar with from surfing I'm guessing (more like hoping there are more good ranges down here) that you're based in the more southern part.

ubet,

I'm hearing you. I saw my first trace through the scoope 4 weeks ago. Viewed the trace from the right edge of the scope, going toward the centre, then I lost it, but seen the splash on the steel.
grin.gif