• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft A good list of target dimensions for ranging

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I would like to create a list of common items and their sizes to use for ranging by measuring using Mil-dots.

EX The bed on a standard pickup truck is X feet long. A stop sign is Y inches tall.

Does anyone have anything like this?

Re: A good list of target dimensions for ranging

adult male chest 20"
adult male from nuts to top of head is 40"
shoulder to top of head usually about 10-12"
i have all these somewhere... hmmmm... let me see if i can find that sheet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">adult male chest 20"
<span style="font-weight: bold">adult male from nuts to top of head is 40"</span>
i have all these somewhere... hmmmm... let me see if i can find that sheet </div></div>

Don't forget the great line from Braveheart...

"Some men are longer than others"
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">adult male chest 20"
<span style="font-weight: bold">adult male from nuts to top of head is 40"</span>
i have all these somewhere... hmmmm... let me see if i can find that sheet </div></div>

Don't forget the great line from Braveheart...

"Some men are longer than others"
laugh.gif
</div></div>
you would be way high if you mil'd the old fucker from jackass! 52"?

average size of human body parts--
head to collar bone-13 inch
head to waist-30 in
head (side to side)-6 in
head (top to chin)-9 in
neck width-5 in
neck length-4 in
upper torso- 20 in
arm (shoulder to wrist) 23 in
arm (shoulder to elbow) 12 in
leg (waist to feet)-43 in

Thanks Garth, I have about twenty or so things to add to that list also after this past weekend. I went out and got sizes for all sorts of stuff and got in some range estimation practice while I was at it. I hope to have that stuff up on the site by the end of the week.

99.9% of residential entry doors are 80" tall.

15 hands =]

a hand = 4 inches which comes out to 60 inches or 5 feet.

don't ask me how I know hand conversions =]

Roping, cutting or show stock QH?
grin.gif

Does the rider look experienced or new? If he looks experienced figure 14.5-15 HH.....if new they always pick/ buy the biggest horse they can find so figure 16.5HH
sick.gif

I have a list of common item demensions. When I was overseas I logged the measurments of common local objects. It's a good idea, but I still think the LRF is the way to go if that's an option.