• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A good set of plans for building a gun cabinet?

6.5mmman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Houston
I have been considering building a gun cabinet to house the rifles and shotguns i keep out for hunting/etc. I want a cabinet because i want them locked up off the floor and where i can have them safe and rust free.

Are there some good plans online i can view and print for free or am i limited to the "buy it now" plan sets? I want it to store at least 8 long guns, with bottom cabinets hopefully, and a couple shelves behind the glass also to put pistol racks on hopefully.

Any resources out there for this?

Re: A good set of plans for building a gun cabinet?

Get a safe.

Better safe than sorry!

I cant afford it right now. I have the tools and skills to build a cabinet to store them in until i can afford a nice safe, and feel that option would be 100X better than having them all leaned against the wall in the closet.

or would a stack on locking cabinet be just as good. I just want something with a lock on it to keep kids out, something that holds them all with golden rods or desiccant to keep rust at bay. I have good insurance on all the guns, and they'll be protected from theft, i just need something to hold me over until i can get a nice big safe

Why don't you design and build your own just the way you want it since you have the resources? Of course, it won't be fire proof like a Fort Knox, but you can have what you want for much cheaper. Programs like Google Sketchup make this extremely easy to do. Several of my father's Architectural employees use this sometimes for plans instead of DATACAD. It's easy to use, and you can render it to many different appearances when you are done. You could even just do it on some paper with the dimensions you want.

Would a gun cabinet or a stack on type security cabinet be a better choice? Its going in a closet, so looks dont matter.

Honestly, I would just build my own out of wood if I didn't have the money to afford a fire proof safe. Measure the dimensions in your closet to make it perfect, then BOLT on some type of lock. Avoid screws because they can easily be backed out. It will probably cost you between $150-$300, but that's much cheaper than a safe. Then again, this is coming from a poor college student who designed and built his own bed to avoid paying for a new one
smile.gif

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/legend.htm

I would go with the 51" 18 E-Z gun, but that's my personal preference.

Ive got my eyes on a Brow Safes biggin'. But thats in the future.

For now ill probably just build a simple cabinet