• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision A great example of a smart Alpha Sow! Viewed with thermal.

TEXASLAWMAN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
In this video I had seen this sounder several times but the alpha sow was smart. She used cows for cover every time they left the high grass. Her weakness was crossing the private ranch road in the same spot every time. DON'T FORGET TO WATCH IN HD.

[video=youtube_share;w4-FbZA8BPk]http://youtu.be/w4-FbZA8BPk[/video]

Those little guys would fit in a hot dog bun whole. That would be delicious!

What do you do with all that pork? ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this one I'm using the primos trigger stick tripod and sitting in lawn chair lol.

Thanks. I heard you say in the video you sitting in a lawn chair. The image/reticle was so stable throughout the video that I was figuring you had to have been using some form of tripod setup.

In this one I'm using the primos trigger stick tripod and sitting in lawn chair lol.

Are you using a standard W1000? The video looks excellent, and i was curious if that was because the unit is that good, or the dvr makes it look clearer or...? Do you have any sort of magnifier on yours? Just interested in one after watching that video. Thank you, Greg

Are you using a standard W1000? The video looks excellent, and i was curious if that was because the unit is that good, or the dvr makes it look clearer or...? Do you have any sort of magnifier on yours? Just interested in one after watching that video. Thank you, Greg

It's just the standard W1000-9 no magnifier it has fixed 3.4 lens or something close to that. If anything a little resolution is lost while uploading to YouTube when you look through the actual scope it looks just as good or better. Only difference is the green filter to preserve your night vision. The video out put does not have that green tint.

Last edited:
Great videos, I look forward to watchin each new one you post. Keep em coming. They really have me wanting a W1000 also. I'm new to night vision/thermal but if I ever decide which route I want to go I may PM you with a few questions about the scope if you don't mind.

Great videos, I look forward to watchin each new one you post. Keep em coming. They really have me wanting a W1000 also. I'm new to night vision/thermal but if I ever decide which route I want to go I may PM you with a few questions about the scope if you don't mind.

Thanks! Got some good videos this weekend also 14 hogs down. Somehow The dvr did not record for the 5 killed last night but at least I got some of it recorded. I'll do my best to answer your questions. Here pretty soon I'm going hunting with people using other thermals so I can give a comparison. I've looked through others at shows but it's always different out in the field.

I am glad to know that. I have never seriously looked at the w1000. I definitely will now. Thank you for the video

I'd also suggest looking at some of the newer stuff that is out, there are some pretty interesting things on the market.

Thanks! Got some good videos this weekend also 14 hogs down. Somehow The dvr did not record for the 5 killed last night but at least I got some of it recorded. I'll do my best to answer your questions. Here pretty soon I'm going hunting with people using other thermals so I can give a comparison. I've looked through others at shows but it's always different out in the field.

I'll check them out whenever you get it up, 14 dead hogs should make for some great footage. If I decide to start with a thermal I will deffinately contact you and any comparisons/reviews you have would be great, it's hard making decisions off of just dealers descriptions and zero hands on experience so input from guys with a bunch of experience makes a big difference. And again, great videos keep it up!

I'll check them out whenever you get it up, 14 dead hogs should make for some great footage. If I decide to start with a thermal I will deffinately contact you and any comparisons/reviews you have would be great, it's hard making decisions off of just dealers descriptions and zero hands on experience so input from guys with a bunch of experience makes a big difference. And again, great videos keep it up!

Yes that's why I started writing in the forums, making videos, and posting pic's. When I was looking into night vision, thermal, and suppressors for hunting there just was not much info out there.

Yes that's why I started writing in the forums, making videos, and posting pic's. When I was looking into night vision, thermal, and suppressors for hunting there just was not much info out there.

With your dead hog counter well over 1000 I recon that your area is past the point were the natural landscape (woods, not cultivated fields) could support the hog population.

However, in areas were there is enough feed and space in the forest to support wild boar you will see a significant increase in crop damage if you take an alpha sow out. In these areas it is wiser to shoot some lower ranking members of the sounder and send a message to the leader what areas to stay away from. Again, that only works if you do not have a massive hog overpopulation and enough uncultivated areas.

Just wanted to mention this in case someone gets an invitation for boar hunting in Europe or other places were pigs have not turned into an outright plague yet.

With your dead hog counter well over 1000 I recon that your area is past the point were the natural landscape (woods, not cultivated fields) could support the hog population.

However, in areas were there is enough feed and space in the forest to support wild boar you will see a significant increase in crop damage if you take an alpha sow out. In these areas it is wiser to shoot some lower ranking members of the sounder and send a message to the leader what areas to stay away from. Again, that only works if you do not have a massive hog overpopulation and enough uncultivated areas.

Just wanted to mention this in case someone gets an invitation for boar hunting in Europe or other places were pigs have not turned into an outright plague yet.

Normally I take out the lead sow to cause confusion in the group resulting in more kills. I have wiped out many sounders using that tactic. This was a special exception to the rule since I'm having guest over and I wanted them to have something to shoot at! These hogs were leaving 40,000 un-cultivated acres and going into about 1000 cultivated acres (corn, milo, and soybeans).

Last edited:
Normally I take out the lead sow to cause confusion in the group resulting in more kills. I have wiped out many sounders using that tactic. This was a special exception to the rule since I'm having guest over and I wanted them to have something to shoot at! These hogs were leaving 40,000 un-cultivated acres and going into about 1000 cultivated acres (corn, milo, and soybeans).

Sorry, if I was not clear enough.

Your strategy of shooting the lead sow first makes absolutely sense since you want to decimate an invasive species that has grown out of proportion with respect to the natural habitat. As one video puts it: "In Texas, with over 2 Million hogs, we are not barbecuing ourselves out of the problem." Also, with the use of night vision on open fields, it gives you the chance to wipe the whole sounder out - as you demonstrated.

In contrast, when you hunt a native, stable boar population in or around its natural habitat, shooting the lead sow leaves you with a group of "hooligans" that are going to cause more damage and grief. I am talking about central Europe where you have plenty of forests and cold winters; where boar hunting is as old as the ethnic tribes and where use of night vision and artificial light is still a no-no.

In large parts of Europe you can "teach" alpha sows that showing up in the crops is way too costly for their sounder and they will (mostly) stay where they belong. But, you need the natural habitat and reasonable population numbers to pull this off. I think a snowy winter is the best ally of farmers and hunters over there. It prevents population explosion and you can crack down hard if necessary when the snow tells you were the sounders hide during the day. A couple of guys, dogs, and guns make quick work of a trailer full of tasty meat plus a few piglets rotating over a bonfire in the crisp winter air. That, and a bottle of good Schnaps circulating among friends is also a great recipe for a memorable weekend.

While these differences in hunting strategy appear as manifests of local culture, they stem from using natural wildlife behavior and the learning ability of hogs/boar to our advantage depending on what situation we are facing (invasive pest vs. native game).

If you go hog hunting in the USA in the spirit of pest control, pick 'em from the top, shoot the alpha sow first and use the resulting disarray to your advantage. If OTOH you get the chance to hunt wild boar in some European forest, you will make more friends by not shooting an alpha sow- unless explicitly instructed otherwise.

If I would (even accidentally) shoot a leading sow on a logging road in Germany, I would have to spend weeks if not months picking off the stragglers and explaining to the local farmers why all hell is loose in the fields. Therefore, my first reaction as a seasoned boar hunter to your video was "WTF?" until I understood that you are facing a completely different situation in Texas that requires a completely different approach.

The intent of my post was to possibly save someone who gets invited for boar hunting in Europe the WTF? look from a group of hunters over there. And I promise to avoid getting the WTF? look here by taking a bit more than just one piglet or yearling from a sounder of hogs.

Last edited:
Sorry, if I was not clear enough.

Your strategy of shooting the lead sow first makes absolutely sense since you want to decimate an invasive species that has grown out of proportion with respect to the natural habitat. As one video puts it: "In Texas, with over 2 Million hogs, we are not barbecuing ourselves out of the problem." Also, with the use of night vision on open fields, it gives you the chance to wipe the whole sounder out - as you demonstrated.

In contrast, when you hunt a native, stable boar population in or around its natural habitat, shooting the lead sow leaves you with a group of "hooligans" that are going to cause more damage and grief. I am talking about central Europe where you have plenty of forests and cold winters; where boar hunting is as old as the ethnic tribes and where use of night vision and artificial light is still a no-no.

In large parts of Europe you can "teach" alpha sows that showing up in the crops is way too costly for their sounder and they will (mostly) stay where they belong. But, you need the natural habitat and reasonable population numbers to pull this off. I think a snowy winter is the best ally of farmers and hunters over there. It prevents population explosion and you can crack down hard if necessary when the snow tells you were the sounders hide during the day. A couple of guys, dogs, and guns make quick work of a trailer full of tasty meat plus a few piglets rotating over a bonfire in the crisp winter air. That, and a bottle of good Schnaps circulating among friends is also a great recipe for a memorable weekend.

While these differences in hunting strategy appear as manifests of local culture, they stem from using natural wildlife behavior and the learning ability of hogs/boar to our advantage depending on what situation we are facing (invasive pest vs. native game).

If you go hog hunting in the USA in the spirit of pest control, pick 'em from the top, shoot the alpha sow first and use the resulting disarray to your advantage. If OTOH you get the chance to hunt wild boar in some European forest, you will make more friends by not shooting an alpha sow- unless explicitly instructed otherwise.

If I would (even accidentally) shoot a leading sow on a logging road in Germany, I would have to spend weeks if not months picking off the stragglers and explaining to the local farmers why all hell is loose in the fields. Therefore, my first reaction as a seasoned boar hunter to your video was "WTF?" until I understood that you are facing a completely different situation in Texas that requires a completely different approach.

The intent of my post was to possibly save someone who gets invited for boar hunting in Europe the WTF? look from a group of hunters over there. And I promise to avoid getting the WTF? look here by taking a bit more than just one piglet or yearling from a sounder of hogs.

Wow thank you for the detailed explanation! I doubt I will ever make it to Europe much less hunt there, but I will remember this if I ever do! Thank you!

TEXASLAWMAN, I just wanted to pass a thank you along for the video and let you know that it taught a buddy of mine some things. I forwarded the video link from youtube to my NV hunting partner. He watched it and Monday night went out solo and got lucky. Once he found the sounder, he took his time and figured out which one was the alpha sow and popped her first with his unsuppressed 223. He told me he thought it was over, but the rest of the 40-pig sounder only ran off about 100 yards. About 5 minutes later, a group of piglets came back to the sow and he popped one of them. The second shot caused the rest of the sounder to evac- right at him and he was able to nail two more large sows and another piglet. It was his first confirmed hog kill, and said that #2-#5 were solely due to him watching your video. (of course he had to walk back to his truck to get a pistol to finish two of them off since he burned through a 30 round clip in the process of #2-5, so I will be able to give him grief for that.).

Just wanted to let you know that your efforts to educate the rest of us are truly appreciated! Thank you.

Pic of my happy buddy and 5 very unhappy piggies! AR15 with an Armasight Nemesis 4x Gen 2 HD white phosphor:

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Fudge8-4-14.jpeg

So, I think I understand the short term benefit of taking out the alpha. If you want to "mow down" the sounder in one night. Take out the alpha and the others will "mill around". But from a "multi-day" perspective, I'm still a little confused why it is good to take out the alpha. In the case in the video, the desire was to preserve the sounder for a later shoot. Might taking out the current alpha lead to a different alpha with a different pattern? You had already figured out this alpha's pattern. Just starting to learning about creature night movements and patterns.

TEXASLAWMAN, I just wanted to pass a thank you along for the video and let you know that it taught a buddy of mine some things. I forwarded the video link from youtube to my NV hunting partner. He watched it and Monday night went out solo and got lucky. Once he found the sounder, he took his time and figured out which one was the alpha sow and popped her first with his unsuppressed 223. He told me he thought it was over, but the rest of the 40-pig sounder only ran off about 100 yards. About 5 minutes later, a group of piglets came back to the sow and he popped one of them. The second shot caused the rest of the sounder to evac- right at him and he was able to nail two more large sows and another piglet. It was his first confirmed hog kill, and said that #2-#5 were solely due to him watching your video. (of course he had to walk back to his truck to get a pistol to finish two of them off since he burned through a 30 round clip in the process of #2-5, so I will be able to give him grief for that.).

Just wanted to let you know that your efforts to educate the rest of us are truly appreciated! Thank you.

Pic of my happy buddy and 5 very unhappy piggies! AR15 with an Armasight Nemesis 4x Gen 2 HD white phosphor:

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Fudge8-4-14.jpeg

Nice I love it when a plan comes together! Now we need to get your buddy suppressed and on a .308 or. 6.8! :)

So, I think I understand the short term benefit of taking out the alpha. If you want to "mow down" the sounder in one night. Take out the alpha and the others will "mill around". But from a "multi-day" perspective, I'm still a little confused why it is good to take out the alpha. In the case in the video, the desire was to preserve the sounder for a later shoot. Might taking out the current alpha lead to a different alpha with a different pattern? You had already figured out this alpha's pattern. Just starting to learning about creature night movements and patterns.

You are correct the benefit of taking out the lead sow is to confuse the rest of the group and get multiple kills out of that encounter. The only reason I shot the one sow in the video was for my guest to have targets the upcoming weekend and to demonstrate the confusion on video.

Agree, this is a very impressive video. Not just because he nailed the target with one shot, but even more, because he interpreted the movement pattern, based on prior observation, and was thus able to be sitting in his LAWN CHAIR at just the right spot, with a perfect line of fire to where he knew the target would appear, while taking this movie for our benefit. THAT is the impressive part. :)

... In this video I had seen this sounder several times but the alpha sow was smart. She used cows for cover every time they left the high grass. Her weakness was crossing the private ranch road in the same spot every time...

Agree, this is a very impressive video. Not just because he nailed the target with one shot, but even more, because he interpreted the movement pattern, based on prior observation, and was thus able to be sitting in his LAWN CHAIR at just the right spot, with a perfect line of fire to where he knew the target would appear, while taking this movie for our benefit. THAT is the impressive part. :)

Lol well there was about a two foot wide trail under both fences where they have been crossing so it made picking a spot to sit pretty easy! But thanks!