• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A.I. Barrel Change Advice

Northjager

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2024
UK
Can I please ask for some advice, I have an A.I. AT in .308 with an A.I. 26” barrel from factory, the rifle came with an additional 20” A.I. .308 barrel, un used.

- Using the systems quick barrel change feature would I have to:

use head space gauges to check tolerance every time I swapped the barrels as stated in the A.I. manual, I understand the reason for this as it was normally conducted by our small arms armourers (or is this A.I. covering themselves which is understandable).

If I do need head space go/no go gauges, are the A.I. ones any different in size within the SAAMI tolerance to a less expensive .308 gauge set?

If a failed no go check occurs how do you then vary the headspace as the manual states tighten the barrel to its stop, then secure the retaining bolt; there is no mention of how this is ‘tuned’, once again our Tech Team conducted this activity.

Or do I just follow the numerous shop/AI owners and engineering providers who have posted YouTube vids and just screw the barrels in tight and as they are both A.I. they are set for head space once the retaining bolt is torqued correctly.

Of course if you are kind enough to advise none of your advice will be culpable going forward, so no accountability lol.

Thanks for the great forum to date I look forward to your reply and hopefully some clarification on a grey area of my skill set.

Uhh

I changed my barrel in less then 3 minutes

Loosen, DONT REMOVE, the set screw.
Unscrew the barrel
Snap-torque the new barrel in place (use a dab of anti-seize on threads)
Retighten the set screw to spec

Rock on.

Hi Guys, thanks for the swift reply, Roger the set screw, ok I will crack on then, thanks for the confirmation.

You don’t have to check the headspace each time. But not a bad idea to check on a new barrel the first time

Loosen quickloc screw 2 turns
Unscrew barrel
Thread on new barrel til it’s tight
Retighten quickloc screw to 49 in lbs

Personally I go as tight with barrel as I can by hand and go 55 in lbs on my quickloc screw.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Agreed. On going 55 inch pounds on the quicklock screw. Again I can't recall why but years ago I tested the 49 vs 55 and got better results with the 55. Been doing it even since and the fix it sick is easier to get than the 49 one.

Ok thanks, that’s really good info, I have a multi torque driver so the different settings can be set easily. Appreciate the time to respond guys, thanks