A little bit of bad luck!!

darrindlh

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2009
I finally decided on which rifle I was going to get. Yesterday I bought a 300wm in a Remington model 700 stainless steal. It took me a bout a year and several used guns that I ended up not being happy with and selling, I finally bought yesterday. Well today before I was going to go break in the barrel I noticed that the bolt would not close when a round was chambered until alot of force was used. I then would extract the case and the base of the case would be destroyed. I took it to my local gun shop and they had there smith look at it while I was there and determined that the bolt face was not completly round. And there was a part that was causing the case to rub and not close without the bruttle force of a very large man.

I am now second guesing my purchase. I am sending it back to remington to get fixed. Acutally it does not even go to the factory. A gunsmithing warehouse in minnasota is doing all of the fixes for Remington , Browning and winchster. Should I worry I love this rifle so far. Love how the bolt is smooth, i love how it fits on my shoulder and because it is a remington there are alot of extras I can get. Should i worry!!?

Thanks guys
Darrin

winxp_man

Firearm Pimp
Belligerents
Jun 20, 2009
SacOFtomatos, CA
Re: A little bit of bad luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if it doesn't perform after the fix.</div></div>

+1 only if it does not work after the fix I would then worry about it and want my money back.

teambarlar

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 14, 2009
Hollywood, FL

I would bet that it will be fine when it comes back,The sucky thing is having to send your rifle off to get fixed.

darrindlh

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2009

Guys that is what I am worried about. I have read a few post, not a lot but a few where it never was fixed. However I was excited to break in that new barrel monday. It does suck to have to wait!! patience is a virtue
Darrin

darrindlh

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2009

The gunsmith that found the problem told me that it is not unsafe to shoot the rifle. But it would destroy my brass. I reload and want my brass kept. But now my cabin fever is even worse. I just want to go shoot
!!!

Darrin

supratt96

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA

Has Remington completely abandoned the concept of quality control? Easily detectable defects like this should not happen.

Ridgeback80

Dying Breed
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2011
NW Ohio

Did you take it back to the shop where it was purchased? if so why didn't you just make them get you a new one? you shouldn't have to piss with sending it off! if it was defective when it left the shop take it back!

darrindlh

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2009

That is what I wanted to do. But I bought the rifle at Sportsmans warehouse. And to make matters worse there is a sign that reads " all firearm purchase are final". However sportsmans is going to ship it for me I do not have to ship it they will. Still I don't understand why I can't just exchange it for the same rifle. I have the box and kept the recipt.

Stealthman,
I agree completly. That is why I am emailing a gunsmith. Nathon from straight shot gunsmithing to see if it is worth having a sako extractor put on and I am going to have him flute the bolt.

What do you guys think. Is the sako extractor worth it? Why. I don't understand what it is

Darrin

darrindlh

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2009

Ok guys got an answer from sportsmans warehouse. The reason that I can't just exchange it for a new one is because as soon as the rifle is entered in to the computer as mine the ATF consider it a used firearm and Sportsmans Warehouse has can not have nothing to do with used firearms.!!

Darrin