• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A little help before I make the same mistake twice

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Hey Guys I sure could use a little help. Im someone who has shot rifles through the irons since the 70s. I’m getting older and shoot more and more off a bench. As you can probably guess my eyes aren’t what they were so I’m also adding scoped rifles to my inventory.

My first scope I purchased was a Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56. I LOVE this scope and the APLR4 reticle. My local range only goes out to 200Y so this works great on my 308 rifle. Did I say I like this scope. =)

When the ammo crunch hit I found myself with more reloading components for 223 vs 308. So I put together a little bolt gun in 223 and purchased a Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 scope. To say I’m completely disappointed in this scope is an understatement. So much so after maybe 6 trips to the range I stopped shooting the combo. I dislike the scope that much. The APLR2 reticle is so much thicker when compared to the Midas APLR4 at the same mag. So much so I cant turn the mag up over 20X as the reticle actually obscures the target I’m aiming at! If I’m doing something wrong please feel free to educate me when you get done pointing and laughing. =)

So, here is where I don’t want to make the same mistake twice and buy another scope I dislike. I’m thinking of buying a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 to replace the Argos I cant use. It uses an APLR5 reticle. My question is, like the Argos will that reticle look like it was drawn with a crayon (vs the APLR4 with is like a fine pencil line) as I crank the mag up past 20.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Ldecker81
I don’t think you will be the least bit disappointed with a Cronus BTR. It is an excellent scope punching well above its price point. Excellent optics and improved turret to boot.

Reactions: YotaEer
Well, you can look up the relevant subtensions (basically how big stuff is in the reticle) in the reticle manuals provided by Athlon. Here are the three you've mentioned, all in MOA:

APLR2: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content...-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Argos-BTR-GEN2.pdf
APLR4: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content...on-APLR4-FFP-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Midas-TAC.pdf
APLR5: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ATHLON-APLR5-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual.pdf

At a glance, the main lines are 0.12 MOA thick in the APLR4, 0.14 MOA thick in the APLR2, and 0.13 thick in the APLR5. So the APLR5 is halfway between the reticle you love and the one you hate.

The Cronus is a great scope...I've got 2 of them! But my question is are you going to shoot at the same range? Why not another Midas Tac then? It's obvious you like (love) this scope. And 5-25 is going to get you out farther if you need but if you're mainly going to shoot at the same range then just go with another Tac. A lot less money. Of course if you just want another scope, the Cronus is a hell of an upgrade.

That's some excellent info right there. Specifically the part about how thick the main lines are. As these lines grow and shrink I would love to see what "scale" they are. That way I might get a better idea of the thickness of the main lines at any given mag. Searching the manuals I can't find that info. Is it in there and I just not seeing it?
Well, you can look up the relevant subtensions (basically how big stuff is in the reticle) in the reticle manuals provided by Athlon. Here are the three you've mentioned, all in MOA:

APLR2: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content...-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Argos-BTR-GEN2.pdf
APLR4: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content...on-APLR4-FFP-MOA-Reticle-Manual-Midas-TAC.pdf
APLR5: https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ATHLON-APLR5-FFP-IR-MOA-Reticle-Manual.pdf

At a glance, the main lines are 0.12 MOA thick in the APLR4, 0.14 MOA thick in the APLR2, and 0.13 thick in the APLR5. So the APLR5 is halfway between the reticle you love and the one you hate.

The Cronus is a great scope...I've got 2 of them! But my question is are you going to shoot at the same range? Why not another Midas Tac then? It's obvious you like (love) this scope. And 5-25 is going to get you out farther if you need but if you're mainly going to shoot at the same range then just go with another Tac. A lot less money. Of course if you just want another scope, the Cronus is a hell of an upgrade.
You know.. I thought about it. I was curious if the Cronus was that much better/clear vs the Midas. My fear is it looks like the reticle is thicker, so I might not be able to use the higher mag before it feels like I'm staring at crayon like lines. :)

Cronus is awesome. Ares is awesome
If you love the Midas Tac, but another one.

Yes the Cronus is better, and an obvious upgrade. But it's also twice the price of the Tac. I've got a Cronus on both my Ruger RPR's...a 6.5CM and a 338LM. I've got a 6-24 Midas Tac on a 223 AR. A Cronus would be nice on it too, but way overkill for my usage.

Hey Guys I sure could use a little help. Im someone who has shot rifles through the irons since the 70s. I’m getting older and shoot more and more off a bench. As you can probably guess my eyes aren’t what they were so I’m also adding scoped rifles to my inventory.

My first scope I purchased was a Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56. I LOVE this scope and the APLR4 reticle. My local range only goes out to 200Y so this works great on my 308 rifle. Did I say I like this scope. =)

When the ammo crunch hit I found myself with more reloading components for 223 vs 308. So I put together a little bolt gun in 223 and purchased a Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 scope. To say I’m completely disappointed in this scope is an understatement. So much so after maybe 6 trips to the range I stopped shooting the combo. I dislike the scope that much. The APLR2 reticle is so much thicker when compared to the Midas APLR4 at the same mag. So much so I cant turn the mag up over 20X as the reticle actually obscures the target I’m aiming at! If I’m doing something wrong please feel free to educate me when you get done pointing and laughing. =)

So, here is where I don’t want to make the same mistake twice and buy another scope I dislike. I’m thinking of buying a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 to replace the Argos I cant use. It uses an APLR5 reticle. My question is, like the Argos will that reticle look like it was drawn with a crayon (vs the APLR4 with is like a fine pencil line) as I crank the mag up past 20.

Thanks guys!
I'm in a similar situation. I like the idea of the SFP midas btr gen2