• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little help

angeluscorpion

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2009
I'm new here but not to the game. I'm not a sniper nor have I ever been. I was a guardian angel and designated marksman for my platoon (3 years ago). But I'm very interested in learning more about the craft. I am a very good shot but I'm not surgical yet. I know a little about ballistics and I'm learning more each day. What I'm wanting to do is built my first tactical long range rifle. Only I'm not to sure where to start. I want to reload, I want something that has enough ass to kill on contact or shortly after at longer ranges but I don't think I want to go with a 50 BMG(wife won't let me have a SASR). Any advice is welcome, I am the student and yall are the teachers. You have my attention.

Re: A little help

you can learn a lot with a .308.

also the owner here at Snipershide got an on-line classroom/subscription.....sniff around you'll find it....it would be a great investment in yourself

.308 is a great place to start. But need more info, how much you are willing to spend on rifle w/optics and such.

what ripper said. The cost, availability of ammo, and availability of data, cause the .308 to be my pick. read around and you will come across volumes of info on rifle builds..
But everything depends on where you live, and how much you are willing to spend at a time. There are quite a few factory rifles worth looking into that are easily upgraded as you get the time and money.

I thought about .308 but doesn't a .30-06 have a flatter trajectory? When I get my reenlistment bonus I plan on trying for about 3-4 grand budget. I thought about a Remington 700 upgrade similar to the M40 but I'm not sure. Right now I'm in NC but with in the next year or so who knows. I have a Mossberg 100 ATR in .30-06 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC scope that shoot very well, just looking for a little more ass at longer range.

.308 with 155 Scenars will be flat enough. If you want more, there is the 7WSM with 180 Bergers or JLK's
laugh.gif

Short action! Cheaper to reload for (less powder)

Look, you can launch a 155gr Lapua Scenar at 2950fps which has a BC of .508

That load will get you to 1K yards. If you want to go further, go with a 7WSM.

I also recommend you get into the game with a .308. Starting out with a big thumper, in my opinion, just complicates the learning curve...(you're also using twice the powder)...I sent a LOT of .308s downrange before I moved to the .300 and .338 Win Mags...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short action! Cheaper to reload for (less powder)

That load will get you to 1K yards. If you want to go further, go with a 7WSM. </div></div>

tell you what...i am a .308 guy and i shot my first 7wsm today at 900 and 1200yds. holy shit that is a fast flat shooting motherfucker. i was really impressed to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short action! Cheaper to reload for (less powder)

That load will get you to 1K yards. If you want to go further, go with a 7WSM. </div></div>

tell you what...i am a .308 guy and i shot my first 7wsm today at 900 and 1200yds. holy shit that is a fast flat shooting motherfucker. i was really impressed to say the least. </div></div>

I was a .308 guys, Im now building a 7WSM on a Surgeon action with a ROCK barrel. Im going to convert my other rifles to 7mm also. no reason to stick with 30cal when 7mm is far more superior in the ballistics dept.

Im also thinking of rebarreling my .308 to 7/08 and dedicating it to the 162 AMAX's. I can reuse almost everything I already have for the 308, besides the dies that is.

So basically I need to get a Remington 700 short action .308 put a new stock and scope on it and get out there and shoot right? Any suggestions on stocks and scopes. I've been looking and as far as scopes I only know of hunting scopes. I want to learn to use a mil-dot scope.

Stock choice is as personal as a Tailor Made Suit... IMO. Find one that either fits you perfectly or is adjustable enough to do so. Look at McMillan, Manners, HS Precision, Bell and Carlson... there are more but it's early and I've only had 1 cup of coffee!
As far as scopes... Almost everyone here will say: "Get the best you can afford". A GREAT scope is usually as expensive or more expensive than the rifle it sits on! A merely "decent" scope will run between $400 and $1000.Mount and rings probably another $300-$400. FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short action! Cheaper to reload for (less powder)

tell you what...i am a .308 guy and i shot my first 7wsm today at 900 and 1200yds. holy shit that is a fast flat shooting motherfucker. i was really impressed to say the least. </div></div>

I was a .308 guys, Im now building a 7WSM on a Surgeon action with a ROCK barrel. Im going to convert my other rifles to 7mm also. no reason to stick with 30cal when 7mm is far more superior in the ballistics dept.

Im also thinking of rebarreling my .308 to 7/08 and dedicating it to the 162 AMAX's. I can reuse almost everything I already have for the 308, besides the dies that is. </div></div>

if i had the extra funds i would definatley build one. ain't gonna happen right now though. that said, i still like my old trusty .308. what kind of barrel life are you getting woth yours?