• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little lesson about ammo is your wondering

Lastsaint21

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2020
I went shooting Monday, and while I was unloading the car, I found a brick of my lot tested ammo that had slipped up under my 4Runner seat. It has been there at least 2 months. With all this cold weather we have been having, I decided to shoot it across the chrono to see if it had any effects. Well it did, stuff was pretty wild and has to be considered practice ammo now...I would defiantly keep ammo protected away from big temp swings. Va Beach didn't get that cold, I think 9 degrees was the coldest with wind chill.

Reactions: 338dude and obx22
Put the ammunition inside the house and allow it to get up to temperature. Keep the ammunition warm while out on the range and see if your results change.

Temperature swings can have a negative effect on rimfire accuracy.

Put the ammunition inside the house and allow it to get up to temperature. Keep the ammunition warm while out on the range and see if your results change.

Temperature swings can have a negative effect on rimfire accuracy.
I should have said it was 68 degrees when I shot it..

Reactions: 338dude
I suspect the culprit is not the temperature swings but the amount of vibration that has broken down the powder and priming structure.
I had some old 22 Mag ammo that was in the glove box for years. It blew up every case. I had to dispose of it all.

What kind of ammo is it? It would be a shame to have to lose top tier ammo to practice only.

According to the venerable Lones Wigger, high temperatures were the main cause for a temperature related loss of accuracy. Don't worry about how cold the wind chill was because wind chill doesn't affect the ammo.

Reactions: BurtG
What kind of ammo is it? It would be a shame to have to lose top tier ammo to practice only.

According to the venerable Lones Wigger, high temperatures were the main cause for a temperature related loss of accuracy. Don't worry about how cold the wind chill was because wind chill doesn't affect the ammo.
It was RWS50…I was pretty mad at myself. I can foul the barrel with it, practice with it so it’s not a total loss <—— that is really me just trying to come up with reasons why I didn’t blow $190 bucks but I basically blew $190..

Many factors can effect how a given ammo performs. The old “cool dry place” is parroted for a reason, is works.
I’ve often wondered how ammo imported/shipped in the hot summer months, and sitting for a very prolonged period cooking in a Conex box before unloading and receipt by wholesalers and then retailers impacted its ultimate performance.
I’ve read but never tested, that vibration/dropping can shake loose the priming compound and have dramatic impacts on ammo consistency as well.
Wonder if that same Conex box, and freezing cold during shipping could be just as bad?

@Lastsaint21 can I ask where you shoot around VaBeach? I’m south of the boarder from you along the inner banks. Only been here since May and just seeing what’s available.

I should have said it was 68 degrees when I shot it..

I would consider putting the ammunition in a low humidity room, kept 50 to 70 degrees, for a month, then test it again.

Ammunition is shipped on trucks and kept in warehouses where the temperatures and humidity are not ideal. I would think that allowing those conditions to stabilize for one month would have an effect.

If it doesn't work, all you have lost is a little time.

@Lastsaint21 can I ask where you shoot around VaBeach? I’m south of the boarder from you along the inner banks. Only been here since May and just seeing what’s available.
I get around our region a lot, to much if you ask the wife. :) OBX will be your closest I think. They shoot in Englehard NC. My home range C2 but they do not matches, just a place to go shoot pistols abs rifles out to 300. Frontline is a choice as well, by far my favorite place to shoot matches or anything for that matter.

Reactions: jb0311
F2C25481-659F-401D-8393-EDC40E88D535.jpeg

During “Duck Season” matches are held on Sunday. Find us on PractiScore!

View attachment 8042464
During “Duck Season” matches are held on Sunday. Find us on PractiScore!
Could ask for a better group of fellas to shoot with..EXCEPT THE WARREN GUY!! Dude competes hard! Does all the dirty tricks to get a win.. I have seen him lick his thumb and smear dope cards, throw dirt at ya while your shooting..I am kidding of course, good bunch of guys there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: obx22
Cold Temps effect more than just the ammo. They effect some guns. Increasing lock time or even cycling.

Another big thing is the effect on the shooter. Being cold for extended periods effects your focus and general mood. Also the gloves and winter clothing can effect rifle fit and your ability to interact with it.

Reactions: obx22