• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little nostalgia from 2001

AIAW

★★★★★
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2001
    Central Texas
    Yes, this was the main forum page back then! This is the earliest forum page that the wayback machine has captured.

84 posts in The Pit... Ha!

BBB641AC-8CD4-47AA-854A-81DDD2C0BB75.jpeg

Fuck... I was an Arfcom and TFL brat during that time...
    anim_lol.gif

That was also when Gecko45 and SPECOPS attained eternal fame on the online shooting world... Good fuckin' times, man... Good times...

Nice.

ARFCOM. A total dumpster fire now I’ve heard. Never really find myself there, not in over a decade!

Oh my ?

• Haha
    Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Ahhh true, that was back in the Kahles/S&B prime-time too. Not that it isn't today, but that was sure enough the "hot shit" Accuracy International days.

The Internet - a very powerful thing.

That was during the SHC Match at Rifles Only

We did a 308 only competition where we (Along with CorBon) Provided all the ammunition.

You were able to order training ammo at a discount and then all the match ammunition was provided to each competitor.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think it would have been 260 if someone had produced viable brass for it back then! Bullet selection wasn't exactly plentiful either though. Probably the same reason 7mm-08 never really took off. Obviously 308 holds a special place among cartridges to this day.

You practically lived in Texas back then didn't you?

we used different brass in the SHC edition of the round to save money

Because it was, Competition Ammo, we didnt use the Lapua brass Cor Bon normally used, as to cut down the cost

This site is where I first learned about communist computers. At that time I was convinced that these Goddamn computers were a thing from the Devil, backed by the communists, but my kids were all over it, much to my chagrin.
    My Kids made me sit down in front of Joe Stalin, [the computer] and asked me shit about my "profile" that I didn't have a clue about, and "What are your interests?" I told them shooting, they already knew that.
    The first thing asked then was what name do you want to sign up as?
    "Well, fuck I don't know." So their reply was, "Use a name that everyone knows you by."
    They kicked that around then told me, "Pa, everyone in town and around the State knows you as Foul Mike because you talk so nice and never cuss more than every other word." So that is how that happened.

I think I was about the 23rd. or 24th. member when it started and I actually was so dumb about computers that I didn't realize I was actually talking to real people and not Leon Trotsky. the communist computer.

Almost, all but not everything, I know about computers and their workings has come from The Hide.

Thanks to all who have helped me along the way. Regards, The computer Dummy, Foul Mike

I have come a long ways but have much more to learn.

2001. I had my dad's Remington 700 VLS with a whitetail classic behind the seat of my 1973 chevy pickup, my buddies and I liked to shoot prairie dogs after school. I thought that shit was sniperey as fuck. Adjustable Objective and everything. I didn't even know what it meant, or did. LOL.

My first foray into 'this world' was on a place called "The Duty Roster" to which some here might have heard about that. That started (for me) in the late 90's.

MANY from there, came here. MANY from there, started there. And of those who started, MANY went far.

Origins.... and accomplishments.

My first foray into 'this world' was on a place called "The Duty Roster" to which some here might have heard about that. That started (for me) in the late 90's. MANY from there, came here. MANY from there, started there. And of those who started, MANY went far. Origins.... and accomplishments.
    The Duty Roster was a wonderful place full of characters that had a huge impact on my introduction to this game. The names are timeless for me and will never be forgotten and Seanski, you’re one of em...

• Wow
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    I was running a 992 cat Loader at a rock quarry in 2001.

I had hunted big game in high school but to me 200 yards was long rang. I am about 13 years from finding this hole.
    0549ED10-C2D5-41E1-9AFB-430F1E9B9625.jpeg

I see “Tshoes“ on the the screen shot and I’m gonna assume that’s who became “Two Shoes” later.

Whatever became of Two Shoes”?

We have him to thank for the whole Reloading Depot sub forum.....

Tshoes became two shoes. I think Terry died, not 100% sure, but I believe so.

2001 was lurking on Sniper’s paradise

No forums to speak of just a continuous list that you had to know how to scroll through.

If not you would be lost FOREVER!!

Well that sucks. He was a good dude and moderator when he was active.

I just looked at his profile and his last visit was in 2018.

So, his ancient self might, just might still be with us. Lost his contact info in a electronic device failure...

More than shaking out my moths; I had lost my original Black Thoughts text in a computer crash somewhere on the twenty-zeros, and I thought it was gone forever. Good to see some of it still survives.

I still think a lot of it has been overshadowed by far more accurate writing from others here.

I am not a humble dude, but I'm also a long way from the stature of many others on the site, like LL, Padom, Theis; and that's just a few of the really good ones.

For old times' sake, I'd love to recapture the original text of the Black Thoughts articles.

Greg

The first things I remember about this site, and it has been a few years, was the members would post in and their name would come up and they would input something and it might have been a paragraph or spacing as to the subject with their name where they replied to and you just scrolled down til you found what you were looking for.
    I don't remember there being any kind of structure as to what the topic was, just a long line of names and search for what you had asked about til you found it.
    New posts would start at the top so you might have to look down a bit until your area of interest came up.
    I remember that as the first days the site was running.
    Then came change, all for the better, that brought up topics and that was good.
    Then there was a period of pantie wadding as to who had the most posts and their "Post Count' and where their join number came up and what their rank was? as if I could have given a fuck. Very childish to me.
    All went well until Scout then for some reason, unbeknownst to me, things went shihouse for a while and we still recover from that.
    I never did understand all of that bullshit.

Today, I sit in front of my computer, Nikita Kruchev, another communist motherfucker, and still try to stay in the game.
    Regards, Foul Mike

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    There was a time, long long ago, where folks would talk/chat about encounters that they'd had with "the greats". Personal interaction such as one-on-one training sessions under Carlos Hathcock, and whatnot. I remember some of those stories, or at least parts of them.

That is why I started those threads in the Fieldcraft section. So that any/all who had those stories and experiences could put them there. Where better to put them for posterity?

My memory sucks, but there was one individual whom was directed to fire one shot a day with the Gunny, which included ALL the prep as well as clean-up thereafter. And over the course of time much was learned. At only 1 shot a day.

I'm praying that someone else would do this (and others) justice.