• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

a marine on a budget

0313lance

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2012
Ok Im a marine on a tight budget. I have a rem 700 sps-v 308, all I have done to it is put a B&C medalist A2 stock and a Leupold MK4 6.5-20 FFP, so not much. Im new to long range shooting (other than my formal military training) and I am trying to build a respectable gun. as far as my budget goes 500 is my max right now. I know this gun will not be built overnight but I figure 500 is a bit of a start. I know a new trigger, action work, one piece base, better rings etc... would help, but on a small budget where would you start out?

Re: a marine on a budget

You can glass bed it yourself. Buy a trigger, ammo and continue to practice! Or invest in reloading, develope a good load and practice!

Or do what I do and blow all your deployment money when you get home from deployment (done a couple)on firearms, knives, archery stuff, photography and motorcycle stuff and be thankful your wife hasn't left you, yet.

Just my recommendation.

A set of good scope rings would be the first thing I would do. Im a big fan of larue rings, run em on all my rifles.

With that SPS varmint in 308, B&C medalist stock and Leupold: all you really need is some flavor of 175 SMK ammunition.

If you need base and rings, I'd check out Seekins.

Change out the trigger only if you can't stand it or have some extra cash to blow: timney for drop in, or find a smith to rework the stock one.

Delete original post because I am illiterate and can't read that you already have a good stock. I apologize for that.

From Deadly Precision GunWorks:http://www.deadlyprecisiongunsmithing.com/pages/Services

The owner and operator is Lorenzo Young. I personally do not own any of his work, but I have sent a several folks to him for partial work and complete builds. The work he does is, to say the least, impressive. All the jobs that I have seen and shot of his are really great. He will work with you on your budget and can do a lot for $500.

Action truing: Square reciever face, lug abutments, bolt lugs, bolt face, and single point thread. -$200

Ultimate action truing package: Same as above, plus ream bolt raceway, custom fluted PTG bolt with extended handle and mini m16 extractor- $475

Truing and you have a 1/2 MOA gun. If I were a betting man, probably even better.

Getting an action set up right isn't as expensive as a lot make it out to be. I be if you told him your situation, like I said, he will work with you. He will also help you do the work in stages. Doing extensive work to a gun, it is good to stay with one smith. That way they are current on all work done and they know how the work was done to begin with.

If you do get in touch with him, tell him "The Surgeon" said hello. LOL

With $500 in your pocket, this is where I would start. Truing the action continues the stable platform that you already have in the stock. Set it up right and when you upgrade the barrel later on, it won't be to much of a problem. The B&C stock, trued action, & a good barrel you have a one hole gun that any one would be proud of.

How does it shoot as is? I would spend the $ on ammo if it shoots well.

Sounds to me like you already have a good setup.

I would think a good harris bipod (about 90 bucks)would be a worthwhile investment, though certainly not a requirement.

This mounting hardware:
http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounting-Kit-for-Remington-700-Short-Action-P44682.aspx

If you really feel that replacing the trigger is a must, then a timney is an excellent way to go.

After that, a case of American Eagle 168 OTM, it can frequently be found for about 160 bucks for 200 rounds.
It is very accurate ammo, right now seems to be out of stock.

Lot can be done with the factory trigger,I am running factory Remington triggers @ 2 lbs in 4 match rifles. Find someone to adjust it for you and if you are just a little handy with tools, a search on the net can make it free. That's a couple hundred saved right there.

Start with getting into reloading, hard to beat lots of good solid practice for improvement.

When truing the action, doesn't the barrel need to be replaced, or at least have the threads and anything else that contacts the action worked on as well?

Also, to the OP: How much trigger time have you put in? I'd suggest wait a while on the gun work. I was all bonkers to upgrade my gun every which way, but I got some good advice: Work on the fundamentals, get as good as you can get with your gear. Once you've got a good baseline for consistent performance, then start adding on the fancy stuff, so you can really see improvements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Action truing: Square reciever face, lug abutments, bolt lugs, bolt face, and single point thread. -$200

</div></div>

Get the trigger adjusted or replaced to provide a decent 3-4lb pull and letoff, with a safe sear engagement. Light triggers are for benchrest guns.

Read up on glass bedding, get an Accraglass Gel kit, and do your best.

Find a handloader you can trust and do some collaborative load development on your rifle, meanwhile learning what to get and how to use it. Unless you're shooting beyond 300yd, bullets heavier then 150-155gr are not going to be especially helpful. Handloading setups can be difficult for a LCpl to obtain and stow conveniently. Look around for an existing setup that can be shared. Maybe MWR has a lead on something of that sort.

Treat the rifle and ammo as a rare and hard to replace resource.

This is best done by getting a basic 22 bolt gun, some basic, inexpensive glass, and shooting <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> as much as you can at 50-100yd.

Work that rimfire like a rented mule, and save the .308's bore for load and skills confirmation, or for match shooting.

Hold off on the serious gun building steps until you have the skills to justify the expense. Until you can cover nearly all of your 10rd groups with the rimfire at 50yd with a quarter, you still have real work to do. Do it with a dime, you're a pro.

'See the sight picture; feel the trigger'. 'Gently, gently; catchee monkey...'. (Words of an old Gunny who helped me learn to shoot)

Keep your eye out for the USMC intramural matches, and work on the basic assumption that you are not the only Marine onbase who likes to shoot well. Seek out those other ones, and remember; new guys can benefit from a small dose of humility.

S/F Fellow Gyrene!

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When truing the action, doesn't the barrel need to be replaced, or at least have the threads and anything else that contacts the action worked on as well?

Also, to the OP: How much trigger time have you put in? I'd suggest wait a while on the gun work. I was all bonkers to upgrade my gun every which way, but I got some good advice: Work on the fundamentals, get as good as you can get with your gear. Once you've got a good baseline for consistent performance, then start adding on the fancy stuff, so you can really see improvements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div> </div></div>

Just a basic truing and everything checks out right and the barrel does not have a ton of rounds through it, no you do not have to change out the barrels. But by me referring him to Lorenzo and if I know him, he most likely has barrels laying around there. If he does, Lorenzo may hook the OP up with a new barrel and still stay within the OP's Budget +- some dollars. The OP just needs ask Lorenzo and discuss it. That is why I said that Lorenzo is good about working with customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and remember; new guys can benefit from a small dose of humility.

S/F Fellow Gyrene!

Greg</div></div>

I also know quite a few old hands that can do with the same...
smile.gif

MWR will probably not be much help. The OP could probably link up with a buddy off post and store his reloading kit there if there is a problem i.e. he lives in the barracks.

You can glass bed the stock yourself. I do recommend a heat gun to help with the release agent (get a cheapo harbor freight one).

depending on what rings and base you have now, you could replace those with quality stuff and drop in a timney depending on the current trigger. that aside, i'd invest in relaoding gear. that's what i'm doing now and should've done it sooner. my 700p shoots plenty good for now without action work. once i work up and load that the rifle likes and get more time behind the trigger, i'll look at action work and a better barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depending on what rings and base you have now, you could replace those with quality stuff and drop in a timney depending on the current trigger. that aside, i'd invest in relaoding gear. that's what i'm doing now and should've done it sooner. my 700p shoots plenty good for now without action work. once i work up and load that the rifle likes and get more time behind the trigger, i'll look at action work and a better barrel. </div></div>

That is a very good idea about the reloading equip. Despite the accuracy gains that the OP would gain. With ammo prices as high as they are and no sight in the near future of them going down or leveling off, it makes a lot of sense to invest in re loading equip.

+1

I think for now im going to invest in some better ammo. I have a friend that reloads so im going to have to do my homework with that. And a good set of rings and a 1 piece base. For shooting from 100y to 1000y is a 20moa base needed for a 308?

Not sure how much adjustment range your scope has, but you will need 10 to 11 mills to get to a 1000.

If you are buying a new base you might as well get the 20moa base.

You asked for opinions so here goes. Find an old Marine in your neck of the woods to help you with reloading. If you are still active dragging the stuff around can be problematic. Old Marines like to help newer Marines with shooting stuff. As was stated before learn all you can from the old guy, then you can get a feel for what you need/like so that when the time comes you can spend wisely. More really good advice from others IMHO is a good 22lr for practice. Buy used & try to wear it out. 200 yards with a good 22lr & lots of trigger time will go far to improving your .308 relationship. I have a very accurate load out to 1000 yards with Varget & 155gr Scenar's. while others prefer the heavier projectiles. Use whatever is needed to get to the level of accuracy you are happy with. Whatever firearm use are using/practicing with just try to shoot it to it's potential.
Semper Fi

I got a 10/22 that I shoot at least 1x a week from 50y out to 400 and I do fairly well I think it has about 8,000 rds through the after market barrel. Every shot is taken slow steady squeeze breathing techniques applied.

i have a set of burris extreme tactical rings ill give you if you send me your address. thanks for your service. my son is a Marine so i know that your very underpaid for what you do. We cant say thank you enough.

I also have a set of Nightforce 30 mm 1.125" Ultralite rings that are yours if they'll work with your scope. I'll also throw in a Harris BRM bipod if you can use it. Both have seen very little use and are absolutely solid, but I haven't touched either one in quite some time although I kept them around for just such a situation as this. Then you can spend your hard-earned $$$ on something else for your rifle.

FWIW, there are lots of good suggestions posted in this thread that cover a wide range of possible mods for the rifle and will cost various amounts. My first thought when reading your original post was simply, how well does the rifle shoot as it currently sits? If it's capable of 1/2 MOA, or even 3/4 MOA accuracy as it is, I'd recommend spending some coin on decent match ammo, and maybe any small(er) dollar items such as a shooting mat, range bag, etc., if you don't already have them. Over the long haul, ammo will be by far the biggest monetary investment once you have the rifle set up, so the more money you save up front, the more you'll have to spend on ammo, and the more you'll be able to get out and shoot it.

In any event, if you think you could use either of those items, PM me. Good luck with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0313lance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think for now im going to invest in some better ammo. I have a friend that reloads so im going to have to do my homework with that. And a good set of rings and a 1 piece base. For shooting from 100y to 1000y is a 20moa base needed for a 308? </div></div>
this is the order i would go with your budget:
1) egw 20moa base and tps rings....great setup that will be solid for not alot of money
2) timney trigger.......they are excellent
3) several boxes of good ammo
this will get you running well, then you can pick up more ugrades as you go

My range supplies are good for the most part, I use a LOT of my issued stuff for range gear. As far as how well my rifle shoots... at 200y I was getting 1 3/4 groups, so .75moa. I think it is my ammo, but then again a 2 piece base and crappy rings could be to blame. Ive only shot Winchester FMJ 147 gr. At 50, 100, 200 my groups are good but then out at 300-500 its starts to turn to a shotgun pattern. I think a good 1 piece 20 moa base and a few boxes of different ammo and a day in the desert with my range book would probably be my best bet.

some very generous offers in this thread...wish i was in a position to follow suit. however, i would like to say thanks for your service, and good luck and good shooting.

its weird as hell especially now in days. Us Marines dont seek thanks we are usually the silent ones, but THANK YOU ALL for supporting our troops, we dont hear it much. Funny fact Prolmaging's son and I are in the same UNIT no less the SAME COMPANY, small world
SEMPER FI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: schollianmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and remember; new guys can benefit from a small dose of humility.

S/F Fellow Gyrene!

Greg</div></div>

I also know quite a few old hands that can do with the same...
smile.gif
</div></div>

A lot of truth to that. IMHO, the reason for the former is that a lot of the elders forget what it was like to be a new guy. Humility works best when it's shared sll around.

Greg