• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A MAX terminal ballistics

muleman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Denton, Neb.
Have any of you used 178 or 208gr a max bullets for deer or elk? I'm curious what the expansion, and how effective these were. I know their not recomended for this but I've seen some impressive results from others useing higher velosity(2900-3000fps). Any imput would be appreciated.

Re: A MAX terminal ballistics

lots of threads on this subject

but the amax got a thinner jacket and hence the bullet grenades and actually ruins a lot of meat...the hornady crowd will steer you to the Vmax, which is a better choice

Do you self a favor and go with a Barnes TTSX and get it over with. Nice terminal performance.

I dont know about the 178/208 but I killed a 200 lb buck this year with a 168 amax over 42g of varget at 200yd,dropped instanly,entered just behind front shoulder and completely distroyed the oppisite one,bullet exited with a fist sized hole.
May be a little to explosive for game.

I've used the 168's on deer with good results. I think you'd be ok for deer with either choice. However not sure I'd want to use it on elk, might want something more like the ttsx OR accubond.

There are plenty of people here that have experience with the 168's and 178's on deer and hogs. Personally, I have 2 hogs and 1 deer with 168s, all were drt.

The big issue is at extended ranges, you could get them to DRT with a fishing sinker sub 300-400 yds, if you hit them in the boiler room.

I've spent alot of time with the A-Max. Shot them in many calibers and a big fan becouse I can hunt with the same load/bullet that I shoot matches with.
I was doing a show locally with a Hornady rep there. he said look at there new L.E. site http://www.hornadyle.com/products/more_detail.php?id=72&sID=79&pID=6

Shows penetration performance and recomendations. Good stuff and info on bullets and weights. Presonally the 155 A-max is a bomb on chucks, altmost too violent for deer. I was glad to here the 168's were tougher and the rep says the 178's perform just like the 168's - pretty tough.

Hope it helps
JamieD,
Wolf Precision

Thats all I shoot and hunt with. +1 on the 168amaxes. Cant complain nor can the deer...lol.

This doe didn't like my 208 A-max from my TRG at 280 yards. Exit was about the size of a golf ball. The feeder was right at 300 yards from our firing position. I recommned the A-max as a good hunting and match bullet combo.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pI-w8FFS10w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pI-w8FFS10w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you used 178 or 208gr a max bullets for deer or elk? I'm curious what the expansion, and how effective these were. I know their not recomended for this but I've seen some impressive results from others useing higher velosity(2900-3000fps). Any imput would be appreciated. </div></div>

I shot this Buck in the face last year at about 10',with a .284" 162A-Max from a 2700fps launch.

Entry

162InsertionB.jpg

Exit

162Exit.jpg

Much prefer the 7mm 'Max to the 30's.

Point was/is,despite a fairly speedy 2700fps impact velocity,it held together despite cranial interactions.

These are good things.

6BR/105 amax, 2850mv, doe at 400 yds, stumbled 20 yds, and down, double lunged, exit golf ball size. Seconds before, a buck dropped at 200 yds, spine shot as I expected the higher speed to blow, and it did, w/in less than 2", all vaporized.

Shot placement........

I shot a small buck at about 50 yards this past season with a 75 gr Amax at 2,900 fps. Went through a rib, both lungs, then the rib on the other side and left a 1/2" hole on the other side. Dropped almost immediately.

Although at that range I could have used a pistol or a shotgun.

Cat5, what round/mv? Thanks.