• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A more quiet suppressor on a 50 BMG rifle ?

bunker buster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2023
Torn between getting a Elite Iron Alpha or the Innovative Arms Mojave?

Leaning more towards Mojave. It offers QD connection which is very convenient to shoot suppressed and Unsuppressed.

The CGS Keres is an option, as is that TBAC above. Id lean that way anyways. I dont think id consider a QD 50 can, personally.

KGM makes a 50 can, but I’ve heard zero about it.

I've heard a CGS Keres and the Barrett can. The Keres was significantly quieter. It honestly sounded great I was surprised.

We don't quote what is "hearing safe."

Our current dB #'s for the Ultra 50, on a 27" rifle, metering at shooter's ear, is about 139 dB if the supersonic crack is omitted (ie actual muzzle suppression). The peak from the SS crack at shooter's ear is between 140-141. This is with the muzzle brake on the end of the can. With the flat cap instead of the brake, it's at least 7 dB quieter @ SE

Would the CGS Keres or Thunder beast be hearing safe?

"Hearing safe" isn't really a thing unless you're talking bolt action subsonic suppressed with long/quiet silencers.

What rifle are you suppressing? Bolt action or semi auto? Barrel length?

Hearing damage is dose dependent. What is the planned firing schedule? Where are you firing it? Are you in the free open feild? Are you going to be inside something, under a shade cover, next to walls, etc? Is the muzzle going to be less than a foot off the ground or 4-5' up on a tripod. Just be careful with people telling you or thinking things are hearing safe.

All of this matters in terms of hearing damage potential. The more reflective surfaces and the closer you are to them the more hearing damage potential there is.

If I had to guess by just looking at that tbac can with that brake I'd say the Keres is probably quieter but the tbac will probably have quite a bit less recoil because of that brake. So there's a give and take between the brake cap vs solid.

Edit saw Zak mention they have a flat cap. When I said Keres is probably quieter it was in reference to the tbac with the brake. I'm not making assumptions on solid cap vs solid cap.

We have some meter data that showed we were quieter even with the brake, but we need to re-do it due to some ambient problems. Nothing we've metered was even close to the long config with the flat cap (no brake), but nobody wants to shoot a 50 without a brake on the end of the can

The CGS Keres is an option, as is that TBAC above. Id lean that way anyways. I dont think id consider a QD 50 can, personally.

KGM makes a 50 can, but I’ve heard zero about it.
The KGM is pretty good for sound but recoil mitigation isn't amazing. I'm not sure anything really is. By all accounts the Thunder Beast looks amazing but is a monster.

Reactions: Supersubes
That's nice dang. Buddy has the Barrett MRAD system and the suppressor from Barrett.....his dang 338NM and 300NM/6.5 no matter what are the quietest on the entire range and there are a ton of suppressed rifles at our range. Amazing. Cool to see a 50 tamed too.

@Clayman

I'm going to use it on my Desert Tech HTI 50 bmg. It would be a ELR shooting. Slow and precise.

@Zak Smith

I'm excited with the TBAC hope it'll be out soon especially with brake at the end of the suppressor.

The KGM is pretty good for sound but recoil mitigation isn't amazing. I'm not sure anything really is. By all accounts the Thunder Beast looks amazing but is a monster.

Was not impressed haha with either the sound suppression or recoil mitigation....

Better off with a brake than that kgm can lol

Was not impressed haha with either the sound suppression or recoil mitigation....

Better off with a brake than that kgm can lol
Sound suppression was quite good. Recoil was still pretty dang stiff with those 750 gr bullets.