• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes A newbie question about Leupold scopes.

effinnewguy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
VT, USA
Could someone please explain the difference between M1 and M5 Mark 4 ER/T scopes to me. Just informing myself before the big decision. Thanks all.

Re: A newbie question about Leupold scopes.

If one prefers using the Mil-Dot reticle vice the TMR on Leupolds then one should buy the M1, am I correct?

I have 2 moa scopes now. a Leupold mark 4 and a nightforce nxs 8x32 I like both very much. but all the folks I shoot with have went to mils and corections at 1000 and converting to moa is a pain. Have gave up and picked up a premier 5x25 in mil mil .
Have not got it in hand yet but will have to make things faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: effinnewguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one prefers using the Mil-Dot reticle vice the TMR on Leupolds then one should buy the M1, am I correct? </div></div>

Both are mil based reticles so the ideal turret would be the mil turret, or M5.

What they are telling you is to get the M5 dials because you can use your reticle to measure your misses in mils and then adjust your dials in mils. This is pretty handy when your at the range. The scope will also be in the first focal plane which means your reticle will measure correctly all the way through the power ring. I would get the TMR reticle with the M5 dials. You are going to pay a little more, but it will be worth it in the end. Your looking at about $1600.00.

He is right, mil moa scopes are good .
But I have had my last one. mil mil is the way to go if adjusting at distance .

Does anyone have an opinion about the Leupold Mark 4 M5 ERT in 8.5-25 x 50? I am thinking about buying one with the TMR reticle. If you have one, and would like to give a review, please post on this thread.

I had one, in my opinion, look elsewhere. The one great thing about it is the optics were crystal clear, but that's not a very important feature. I've had two mark 4 ER/T's and I love the TMR reticle, but neither of them EVER returned to zero after dialing any amount of elevation. They were always an inch or more off at my 100yard zero and it was never off in the same direction. I would just get a Nightforce honestly. I now have a Schmidt & Bender and am happier than ever with its performance. I would actually suggest a Vortex PST over a Mark 4 because mine tracked flawlessly.

One thing we need to know to give you a good suggestion is what is your purpose for this scope? How far do you plan on shooting? If I was limited to less than 500 yards then I would only get 15x on the top end max. But 25 is a pretty good bit of magnification, and the only reason I opted for a 25x S&B is because I have a mile to stretch my .308 out to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one, in my opinion, look elsewhere. The one great thing about it is the optics were crystal clear, but that's not a very important feature. I've had two mark 4 ER/T's and I love the TMR reticle, but neither of them EVER returned to zero after dialing any amount of elevation. They were always an inch or more off at my 100yard zero and it was never off in the same direction. I would just get a Nightforce honestly. I now have a Schmidt & Bender and am happier than ever with its performance. I would actually suggest a Vortex PST over a Mark 4 because mine tracked flawlessly.</div></div>

Did you contact Leupold about the problem? If you did, was it resolved to your satisfaction? I want to know.

I did not contact them because I have several friends (one being very notable and credible, but I don't think he would like his name being thrown around with his opinions) who have had the same problems with them and it seems to be quite common. Just call the Portland, Oregon SWAT Department and ask them of their opinions of Leupold. I believe they are in the process or have already switched to Nightforce because while most of us may only miss a target, they have lives to worry about. However, I do know that with any factory defects, or if the scope goes down they will set you straight, and they are very professional on the phone and will answer any "dumb" questions you may have.

I find your response weird. Why wouldn't you contact Leupold to give them a chance to fix your scope instead of giving them a bad review on here? That would be the first thing I would do. And why does having friends who have the same problem keep you from contacting the company to fix YOUR scope. I find your responses a bit strange.

Does anyone else have any thing to say about Leupold scopes (model of which I mentioned a couple of posts above)?

I have the 8.5x25x50 mark4 with the TMR. It is on my .300wm that has done me well to 1400 yards. I have started the day with my 100yd zero dialed up to 650yds shot there, dialed up to 1011yds and shot there, dialed up to 1380yds and shot there. No problems going back from one to another. after I get done I dial back to my 100yd zero and can go to the bench and check( as I do often )
and impact is as it was.Dont know if anyone else is havin problems out of their's but I love mine and it is repeteable everytime.Good scope in my mind.I also use Nightforce ,and Premier so I aint just lovin on a Leupold.

What I am trying to say is it's either hit or miss when buying one. All of mine have been misses. It's the way they construct their turrets guts are my understanding. From what I remember with the conversation is the Leupolds use a brass component that does not retain elastic deformation as well as stainless steel which Nightforce uses in their turret. Every Nightforce I have handled (around ten or so) have all tracked perfectly. I cannot say the same for the newer Mark 4's with the M5 knobs. However, the hunting VX3's or whatever have all worked fine. In my opinion, I think you would be much happier with a Nightforce.

My Nightforce is also dead on and very nice to use.
You can get a dud in anything I have a VX 3 6x20 that I'am gonna have to send back for tracking problems . but it is the first in about 12 that I have had that shit the bed. Overall I have had Real good luck out of Leupold for the last 15+ years and hate that you have had such trouble.