• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes A Nightforce review for newbs on high-end optics

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
Just bought my first high-end scope last week. Yes, I was a little concerned about dropping $1350 worth of postal money orders in the mail, having never held one in my hand and looked through it, played with it and crank the knobs.

So, I called a trusted source of high end shooting products, and he said that he has used and abused all the major brands of scopes, and that for the price, there is not a scope on the market he would trust to put on his rifles for shooting animals at 1500 yards. So, mind made up and postal money orders in the mail, I waited.

The scope arrived exactly as the seller said it would (Snaglytooth here on the Hide. Thanks Eric!).

First impression. Stout and rather heavy. Knobs have a positive feel (both physical knob and cranking them). Positive clicks, not easily turned, not hard, but will not turn on accident.

Of the things I did notice, I noticed that the scope tube is two-piece. I found this weird since most companies brag about one-piece tube. Maybe an expert can chime in.

Magnification is very nice and smooth. Through out the range of magnification, image is crisp and clear. While sitting at my favorite restaurant (Wendy's) I could CLEARLY read street signs at 1000+ yards. We are talking a 6" tall letters at over a thousand yards. This, my friends, is where it is at. I have NEVER had optics this clear.

Reticle is SFP and fine. I hate reticles that you have to crank to 30x just to see your 1/4" target at 100 yards. I was also concerned initially about the illuminated reticle. Pulled the knob to see it light up and NOTHING! Read the manual. It appears that NF sets the rheastat to show illumination while it is quite a bit darker than noon.

NP-R2 reticle is perfect. Fine lines, easily visible.
3.5-15 x 50 is perfect combination of "OH SHIT, deer at 50 yards!" and "Holy crap, 800 yards on a 5x5 mule deer is out there, but I can see his vitals zone clearly."

I do not have it mounted (awaiting rings and bases). I will post more next week.

I will say that the initial cost is a shocker. I was not going to spend more than $700 on optics for my rifle (Savage 111 LRH 300 WinMag), but after a ton of research and some calls, I decided I would give it a try. So far, I am more than impressed.

This is all coming from a novice in the long range shooting arena and is intended for those that are considering a new high end scope. I have owned many scopes (Sightron, Trijicon, Leupold to name a few), and this scope blows them all away.

(Side note: wanted to share the experience with a few co-workers and brought it in one night. Bastards decided to play a joke. So, they put my scope away and promptly dropped an aluminum hole punch on the floor. Needless to say, my heart dropped. Folks, I have NEVER dropped a scope before, let alone a $1500 optic, so I had NO idea what it would sound like.

They all had a good laugh, I about made two nice ladies widows by murderizing their husbands.

OGRE

Re: A Nightforce review for newbs on high-end optics

Ogre, nice review. Stay away from Premier and S&B it that NF will go bye-bye. I was in the same boat you are not too long ago. Now I'm poor but have a couple of really expensive optics in my rifles.

Ever heard if Ironhorse Machine and Welding that used to be in Lakeview?

Likely wont happen Crazy Donkey. Any idea what it was like to get approval/permission to do the NF? Perhaps if my wife looked through one first, then maybe I could have 2....one fore her (first, of course) and then mine...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Likely wont happen Crazy Donkey. Any idea what it was like to get approval/permission to do the NF? Perhaps if my wife looked through one first, then maybe I could have 2....one fore her (first, of course) and then mine...</div></div>

Meh, diminishing returns. Spend the money on ammo and shoot more.

Yeah, Nightforce is one hell of a line of scopes. I'm picky. Really picky. On my optics search, I tried MANY different lesser expensive scopes and without ever even having compared them to anything better, I knew that they weren't good enough for me. I didn't become satisfied until I tried a Nightforce.

I'm not saying that there isn't better out there, like those other big names mentioned. I'm only saying that they aren't enough of an improvement over the Nightforce to justify their price, to me.

Although I certainly couldn't afford a $10,000 scope, I could certainly afford one or two S&Bs or Hendsoldts, I just don't feel the need.

It seems like every scope has it's faults; NF has no high power FFP, Schmidt's tunnel and have thick reticles, Hensoldt's are limited to 4-16 (6-24 doesn't have enough reticle travel) and there's no zero stop, Premier's have durability issues, USO is plagued with random issues here and there and the glass is hit or miss, IOR is on their 4th generation (enough said). I feel like NF offers the best 'overall' package when you consider price. I could handle the compromises of the S&B....but not for $3K+. When they're new scope comes out I have a feeling it won't have any of the aforementioned faults....and that could really change some things.

NF and NPR-1
Getting one is a few steps above cheap scopes/.
Could care less about ffp.
Scope is not problem.

Out to six can be done with a 3-9 Duplex.

ogreshooter, what made you choose the particular NF that you did? I've narrowed my choices down to the 3.5-15X50 NF, and the 3.5-18X50 IOR. I just can't make up my mind between the two.
I'm using it mainly for my own enjoyment, though there is a decent chance that I could get slotted for a Precision Marksman class through the PD. Also, would you guys feel handicapped not having a zero stop?

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I am currently scrimping and saving for my first NF (college tuition for the kids isn't cheap).

Hopefully this time next year the scope, rings and base will just be a memory and I will have the fun of learning and using them.

I just ordered a night force F1 with the horus reticle. Cant wait to get my hands on it.
smile.gif

Yesterday, I received my first high end scope. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MLR HS ZS 0.1 mrad. I was Christmas all over again as I signed for the package. I agree about dumping that much cash into something based purely on reviews. I was not prepared for what I saw last night. About an hour before it got dark I started checking the sight picture every so often to see how it looked. 30 mins after dark in a light snow, I could still see about 250 yards. Now I'm ruined! Lol I want all my rifles to have a NF! Just got the rings, base, and anti-cant today. Gonna mount it this weekend! I know what ya mean Ogreshooter. The VP of my company wanted to look through it. I was pretty nervous as he held it to look through it. I was prepared to jump for it if he fumbled it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier's have durability issues</div></div>

If you call a few failed scopes in the first production run "durability issues" then I suppose you are right.

I've got three, and am not sure of what you speak.

good review. Just think what I see when I look thru my 14-42 x 56 !! if you can see the lettering at a grand, I can read the name of the mfg that's written at the lower right corner of that sign.
LOL
I always shot varmints looking thru Leupolds and Nikons and always thought they were the cats butt. After getting this NF, I'm in love all over again.
Can't wait for the pics to show up. Keep us in the loop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Penguin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier's have durability issues</div></div>

If you call a few failed scopes in the first production run "durability issues" then I suppose you are right.

I've got three, and am not sure of what you speak. </div></div>

PM sent

I chose the 3.5-15x50 for the up close shots, and if I ever decide to move this scope to my tacitcal rifle, I wanted a bit more high end power.

I could have SWORN that the front tube is GLUED in at the adjustment section of the scope. There is glue present, and looking at their website, it looks like two piece right in front of the adjustments.

cutawayL.jpg

I could swear that looks like a second tube. I may be wrong, but I know there is glue there on mine, will send pics later. I have been wrong in the past.

I am please overall with the scope. 3.5-15 is perfect for most ANY shot I will ever take with this rifle. At dusk, this scope is FAR brighter than any Sightron or Leupold I currently own (viewed side by side on the same magnification). That said, my Sightrons are ALSO more bright than that of my Leupolds.

I love my 2 NF scopes. I could afford the higher price scopes but I don't see the cost/benefit in favor of doing so. just my opinion.

Thanx for the write up. I'm on that same doorstep. Nikons and Bushy Elites and now looking at the 22x NF. Got the thumbs up from the wife and just about ready to pull the trigger if I find a good deal.

Ogreshooter,

I was in the same boat as you back in December. I am also an amateur shooter but I had read lots of good things about NightForce on the 'Hide, amongst other places. I dropped $1675 for mine on here when purchasing it from another member and I was borderline freaking out, having sent that kind of money via PayPal to someone I've never met and being a new member myself.

When my scope arrived, I was about to piss myself because of the excitement and anxiety. Before I left the post office, I opened it up and was fondling it like a kid on prom night.

While agree there's better glass to be had, to say that I am more than happy with my NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R2/ZS would be an understatement. Furthermore, I am in agreement with you on the fact that I don't believe the others are <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> much better to warrant spending an additional $1000+ to get it. Sure, I have the cash to purchase the USO, Premier, IOR, Hendsoldt, or Schmidt & Bender but when I begin my next build, it will be another NightForce NXS that I mount on my rifle.