• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A quick tripod comparison with pictures

Tburkes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2002
Bandera, Texas
Here are some pictures of a some tripods I currently have. The ruler in the picture is 48" long.

In order from left to right:

Manfrotto 055OXPROB with 322RC2 swivel head

Alamo Four Star DCLW with a DLOC-D swivel head

PRS large

PRS Medium

PRS Small

I went with the 055 model on the Manfrotto since I'm not concerned at all with the weight of this tripod and wanted the bigger heavier version over the 190 models

I've used all of the tripods in the field with the exception of the DCLW, Which I've played with quite a bit at the house.

In my opinion, for a field type tripod that you'd carry a lot, the PRS Large tripod is the best bang for the buck in both price and versatility. It comes with two attachment plates to allow you to quickly swap out accessories. It will extend up as high as you can use. It's pretty sturdy, and the ball head has no problem holding up a 17 pound rifle with one of Danel's rifle rests installed.

The PRS Medium tripod is also very nice and a great deal. I carried it during two different high angle classes at Thunder Ranch and it worked out just great. It'll hold a rifle up just fine with the rifle rest too.

ca3f1923.jpg

a7c97f85.jpg

709efde1.jpg

In order for the PRS Large and PRS Medium to be lowered all the way to the ground the two piece center shaft has to have the lower portion removed first. The bottom of the shaft is what you're seeing leaning up against the two tripods.

77731bbb.jpg

aec155f3.jpg

0a310972.jpg

c94ae50d.jpg

e2af0dd0.jpg

63be7e03.jpg

91a484ec.jpg

Re: A quick tripod comparison with pictures

Is the DLOC-M Mount dovetail compatible with the mount on the top of the PRS large tripod?

Also, does the ballhead on the PRS tripod lock securely enough to support an unbalanced rifle like this?

Thanks.

Great comparison there T-Bone thats hould answer a ton of questions on this!!

I don't know if the DLOC is compatible or not, someone will chime in on that I'm sure.

As to the PRS holding up a rifle, you mean like this?

386b5615.jpg

Fantastic post!
Very helpful and answers questions I would have had with the excellent photos comparing equipment.
Perhaps this could be expanded to include even more equipment and tacked at the top.

The Manfrotto with swivel head comes in at 6.5 pounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DLOC-M Mount dovetail compatible with the mount on the top of the PRS large tripod?

Also, does the ballhead on the PRS tripod lock securely enough to support an unbalanced rifle like this?

Thanks. </div></div>

Tony,

Good job on the review.
The DLOC-M mount will attach to a tripod via either the large or small threaded hole on the bottom. There is an insert in it to accomodate both.
It also has a dovetail milled directly into the unit for heads that accept dovetails.
P1000403.jpg

I use one in the grip head.
Link:
http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php...0s3r98rdb99mht4

Again, good job Tony.

Thanks for the write up and pics Tony, very nice!

I've got an 055 as well. I cut down the leg sections several inches to make it more compact. It still extends up enough to use a spotter standing, but collapses down nicely and will fit in a small backpack.

BTW, who makes that cool looking sling on the rifle in the pic
wink.gif

Just curious, but how do these rifles group when they are *fixed* to a tripod is in some of the pictures above?

Also, how does the rifle/tripod act under recoil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, but how do these rifles group when they are *fixed* to a tripod is in some of the pictures above?

Also, how does the rifle/tripod act under recoil? </div></div>

The group the same, the tripod does not effect the accuracy, only the shooter's ability to manage the recoil effectively.

It is an alternate position shot, no different than shooting off a barricade in a competition or any object off the ground in the field.

Understanding you'll have to manage the recoil differently from prone is key to driving the rifle through recoil off an alternate position and is nothing more than using proper technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The group the same, the tripod does not effect the accuracy, only the shooter's ability to manage the recoil effectively.

It is an alternate position shot, no different than shooting off a barricade in a competition or any object off the ground in the field.

Understanding you'll have to manage the recoil differently from prone is key to driving the rifle through recoil off an alternate position and is nothing more than using proper technique. </div></div>

Can appreciate that where the rifle is simply rested in the tripod, but I'm surprised actually clamping the rifle to the tripod doesn't have more of an effect...

I hunt in a mostly hunting use in a hilly area. Most of my tactical stuff is just for practice. Hunting for me is where it all must come together.

Which would you recommend, and where did you buy it from?

As Frank stated managing the recoil is the key along with building a solid shooting position (comfort will come with practice and a lot of snapping in) and yes shooting off a tripod is no different than off any other alternate position with a rest. With that how often do you clamp your rifle down to a window sill, fence rail, chair back, tree limb, etc.? The difference being with a tripod you determine where you will set up for the shot not where the available rest is located. I personally do not like a tripod that captures the rifle as I feel that some of the recoil is transferred to the tripod and influences recovery/follow through by having a perpendicular load on the rifle. Allowing the rifle to free recoil in the rest/cradle the shooter can manage recoil with good follow through and return to target without the need to fight the tripod which may have shifted due to recoil. Uneven ground or angle shooting is where I have seen the biggest problem with returning to your target line when utilizing a cradle that clamps, dovetails, or is otherwise fixed onto the fore end. Using a rest which does not attach to the rifle also allows for quicker adjustment of your position without having to move your body. The fixed point created by a clamped rifle means the fulcrum of the position is the center of the tripod instead of being able to simply slide the rifle forward or back in the rest as the situation may dictate. I have found that an attached tripod does not allow for quick set up, grab and go, or repositioning, nearly as easy as having separate parts. I use my tripod a lot as an observation platform and being able to transition from resting a spotting scope, LRF, or binos on the cradle or attached ball head to gun on target flows really well. Regardless of which set up you use, flexibility, durability, and familiarity with how it works will make tripod shooting a viable addition to your shooting bag of tricks. With most things it is a matter of personal preference and what you practice with.

Any pics of the tripods on cement or a hard floor? the grass makes it difficult to tell what's going on.

Hi guys,
While on the tripod discussion, i discovered a tripod kicking around in my home, originally for a camera of course.

It never gets used so could you guys please suggest a way to adapt the tripod in order to accept a way to mount a rifle on it.

Here are some photos, it has a upside down screw by the looks of it.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Buy one of Dan's cradles and you can screw it right on. Look at the website of the guy 2 posts up.

Great set of pics T, no better way than putting things up against one another. Pictures really can say more than words so...
I've been using one of Danels PRS Medium tripods with SSP2 cradle since last christmas.
I took a few pictures a while back, these might help with dimensions and how low it'll actually go.

Rifle: McMillan A5, 20" Barrel.
tripodextended.jpg

ATLAS in fully closed position. Like TBurkes said, you need to remove the threaded in bottom half of the centre post to lower the tripod all the way down, no big deal takes about 10 seconds and isn't heavy or large.
tripodbipodcomparo.jpg

To be honest, this hasn't left my field kit since it arrived last year. Every time we hit the mountains it comes out and always makes a difference, for obs or shooting it's a hell of a lot better than any sketchy field rest or running off your pack imo.

prs.jpg

I'm pretty good at breaking things! The cost of the PRS tripods isn't much of an issue compared to some of the others that you'd be uncomfortable with using in the field properly.

lrfcradle2.jpg

LRF cradle, strapped down and good to go. Wih the QD head you can easily flip it over from the rifle platform to this plate.

The PRS is very versatile. I use it often for myself and with the gun rest it is how my kids deer/turkey hunt. No matter how we set up they always have a solid rest for the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangaff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,
While on the tripod discussion, i discovered a tripod kicking around in my home, originally for a camera of course.

It never gets used so could you guys please suggest a way to adapt the tripod in order to accept a way to mount a rifle on it.</div></div>

PRS does have a cradle that will screw onto the top of that.

HOWEVER every plastic tripod I have used with that design has cracked after a year of field use. Sometimes quicker.

wow the medium and small sizes PRS are nice thx for the pics.

Great write up. This will definately help in my search for a solid tripod. Thankyou.

This is my first good look at the Frotto, thanks. I see a few that I'd be proud to try out but I think the PRS medium and small are the two I might have to marry one day haha

Liking the snakeskin paintjob <span style="font-weight: bold">96C</span>, you do that?

Cool... the pics of the medium tripod collapsed all the way to the ground answered the main question I had... I wanted a lightweight (compared to a full-on HP Rifle spotting scope stand) stand for holding my Kowa TSN821M close to the ground during F-Class matches, plus I've been kind of wanting to try one of these tripod tops for some other things as well.

Great write up, and thanks for the pics! I want a PRS tripod now...

Used my PRS tripod cradle set up at the Reade Range match for the loophole movers stages, worked like a champ for tracking and ambushing targets. I used to use it at ASC till John and Rod said I could use it cause it was "unfair advantage" using my tripod all the time.

Reade Range match
23k6lg7.jpg

Buddy of mine using it at one of John Boyette's first matches
5xqrgm.jpg

Back in the day using it at ASC
30u6dfb.jpg
2qv85zl.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used my PRS tripod cradle set up at the Reade Range match for the loophole movers stages, worked like a champ for tracking and ambushing targets. I used to use it at ASC till John and Rod said I could use it cause it was "unfair advantage" using my tripod all the time.
</div></div>

So YOU'RE the reason I carted that damn tripod all over my first ASC only to have John and Rod nix it every time I tried to set it up...

for me , the weight isnt an issue on the prs large, its its larger footprint when using it in the prone position. you should choose according to your most used shooting position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much weight can the large PRS take? </div></div>

Did you see the picture of the rifle sitting on the tripod? The rifle weighs about 18 pounds and it doesn't appear to be stressed out at all. I wouldn't recommend standing on it though.

Why not a Giotto with a Giotto ball head? I believe they are rated for more weight than the Manfrotto's. I'll try to get some pictures and post them up.

Here is a picture of the large tripod with a 45# plate weight on it. I'll have to post the actual picture later, I'm working a mud volleyball tournament right now.

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=60502740

The tripod held up just fine with no failures in materials or mechanical locks on the legs. I run my almost twenty pound gun on it and it holds up great. The SSP-1 and SSP-2 cradles will attach to any standard tripod, so if you already have a tripod or want to go with a Gitzmo or Manfrotto they work very well. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to PM, email, or give me a call. The advantage to the SLIK tripods we offer is a more compact package that is not only durable and versatile but affordable.

Take care and hope this answers some of the concerns about durability.

Danel

Very nice, this is next on the list after I get my rings ordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giottos are good to go... I have a Carbon Fiber one that has been beat to hell and back and still does an awesome job.

</div></div>Put a Giottos MH1300 ballhead on there and it is great it is capable of holding 25 pounds according to the manufacturer.

I am using a Giottos Pro Lava tripod MH7360 which holds 17.5 pounds. Some of the other Giottos tripods hold 22 pounds according to the manufacturer.

The highest ratings I see for the Manfrotos are around 12 pounds. I hadn't looked at every model so I might have missed one with a higher rating?

Here are a couple of pictures of the large with a 45# plate on it. The maunufacture does not rate this kit for this much weight but fortunately for the end user they over engineered it.
vnpkww.jpg

5z2ply.jpg

I had two reported failures with this tripod, one was sent back to me and promptly replaced due to a manufactures defect, and the other failure was mentioned in a post but when I asked him to send it back for inspection and replacement I never heard from him again. Now I do not recommend its use as a jack stand for the old pickup but for the shooting community I have been very happy with its perfomance all over the world and in the hands of some hard chargers that are not know for the genteel way in which they use their gear. Any questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Danel

Just received my PRS large and I must say I am impressed with this tripod. I cannot wait to take it out with me to the farm.

Danel,

I bought the Leica mount and noticed that it arrived without the mount for the tripod. How am I suppose to use it without the screw portion?

I have another tripod that I can attach the leica mount to...it's just I was hoping not to have to drag two tripods with me.

ETA: Just went to your site...looks like I needed to purchase the quick release plate.

PRS been used in Combat since 2004 at least, Gen I getting some range time, this was at the end of our deployment after some hard use. Also after I broke my Harris bipod multiple times, not any fault of the Harris, just some hard falls, dives, ect.
2poy0yc.jpg

Looking for movers during a 3 day fight
2lvel2b.jpg

Look out bad guys!! Under Observation!!
rwkxsh.jpg

n5rlmq.jpg

Happy customers
x0wh6s.jpg

If anyone is going to break one of these it would be a Marine, my platoon had one for each team and they all survived including the small tripods that Daniel supplied. AWESOME!!

There is another one to be taken in considerarion though , it's the rock solid Vectronix SST3-2 mini-tripod , it's a non magnetic very solid tripod with pan/tilt head where it is possible to attach any kind of glasses , gears & cradles .

Vectronix%20tripod.jpg

PP out