• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

a quick watch question

tango6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
IL
I am looking for my yearly watch, I am using a pathfinder now, I am looking at the luminox recon pointman, is it any better than the seal 3001 model. I do a little diving when we vacation to St. Thomas and I hike so I think I can put the pointman to use, but there isnt alot out there about this model all reviews are about the seal dive watch 3001 and the one with the velco band. thanks in advance.

Dan

Re: a quick watch question

I have had bad luck with these g-shocks and pathfinders, I was thinking if I spend some money on it it will last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luminox are crap. Get a G-Shock and don't fall for the SEAL marketing BS </div></div>

I got a Luminox as a gift almost 6 years ago. I would never have bought it myself, but it's been a good watch.
If it craps out tomorrow, I'll probably buy a G-Shock just because the price is reasonable and they have a very good reputation.

I did a quick search on here and nothing came up for watches there is no watch thread?

The only watches I trust other than Casio Pathfinders/G-Shocks are non chronograph Citizen Eco-Drives. I've broken many others but those have lasted me several years of wear and abuse. There was a watch thread in the Fieldcraft forum too, and a few in the Bear Pit on the Pros/Cons of Luminox over the last couple years.

A Casio Pathfinder PAW-1300T has sat on my wrist for the last 4+ years in Afghanistan, and while it looks rough it's running like a champ. Obviously it's not one for diving though, that's where the Citizen comes into play.

Watch Thread

I had a Citizens "Aqualand" Best watch Ive ever had. Had it since 92. Just needed Batteries changed.

While some may not like Luminox, i have two of them and they have outlasted every other watch i have owned. They arent cheap, but i use them every day...

Bill

budget?
Intended use?
Suunto?
5.11 Field Ops?

Maybe get a watch that will last you more than a year.

That way you won't be throwing away your money.

Patek Phillipe comes to mind.
grin.gif

I've owned two luminox, and they both sucked, as far as I'm concerned.

The band/watch joint is extremely weak, and broke on both. My first watch was lost due to this, and it happened to the second. I fixed it the second watch only to have the crystal break a few weeks later. Both watches looked like crap after a few months of wear.

I bought a Gshock and never looked back. 10x the watch for a lot less money.

I love my citizen sky hawk. While not quite in the same class as some of those mentioned, it goes through thick and then and come out no worse for the wear every time

+1 on any of the Marathon _SAR watches, also.

Availability on them seems to be sporadic. But, if you do find one:

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

+10000 on Marathon

My first was a Marathon T-SAR and it was a tank but sold it to get the bigger J-SAR and you cant kill these watches.

On a side note, Ive owned a few Luminox watches and they are pretty tough as well.

Derrick

The best thing about my Marathon JSAR is that it looks just as good covered in mud or deer guts as it does rinsed off and at dinner at Ruths Chris. I highly recommend getting the stainless matching band for it. Isofrane also makes a nice rubber strap if you scuba dive.

I am reading about the marathons. I see the have a few with logos, like the USMC and the Maple Leaf. If I get a marathon I think it would be on of the last watches I get for a while.

I currently have a Luminox 6402.BO F117 Nighhawk.
http://www.luminox.com/watches/air/+/watch/A.6402/

Here are the specs...
Specifications

Movement (technology): Quartz
Size of case diameter (mm): 45.00
Case material: Stainless Steel black brushed
Case Bezel: Rotating 1-Way Diver
Case Back: Screwed
Crown: Security Screw-On
Crystal/Glass material: Sapphire glass anti reflective coating
Water resistance (m/ft/atm): 200 / 600 / 20
Strap/Bracelet material: Stainless Steel
Illumination: Night Vision Tubes (25 years)
Special (feature): Security buckle

I don't like some of their other watches because of the ploymer material of the bezel and the strap pins are weak. However, this watch is SOLID. I'm using it over here in Durkastan, and it's taken a beating and kept on kickin'...
A watch, just like other items, is a personal choice based on function, usage, features, etc..etc.etc. I'm happy with the choice I made...
I'm still rolling around the idea of a Rolex Submariner though... have been for a couple years now. That watch is just sexy.

I just got a new Luminox in May; old one lasted 12 years and was still running and glowing at night, but the bezel gears wore out and wouldn't hold a setting. The new watch is much better. The numbers and markings on the bezel are embossed in and won't wear off like the old ones. Mine doesn't have Navy Seals on the face, (if that would bother you) but does have an emblem on the back. I like the real glow-in-the-dark feature. There's no watch I ever heard of that you can't tear up. If you are going to be as hard on kit as some of these guys, you might consider just using your cell phone instead...

+1 on the Pathfinder and G-Shock, I like the Tough Solar versions. I ran a sunnto for a while, but it burned through batteries so fast I took it back. Nothing but good things to say about the Pathfinder and my Mudman G-Shock (just wish the you could keep the backlight on for longer).

I also used a basic Traser (aka Luminox) watch, the P6500 for the past 8 years or so.

The only thing I have had to do is change the battery twice.

The vials definitely don't glow like they used to, but they're still usable.

If your budget fits it: Traser has a line of dive watches rated to 300m, plenty for recreational diving.

Otherwise, their Professional or Military line is more affordable and most are rated to 200m water resistance. I am partial to their Military line since it's devoid of any branding.

(edit: After using the G-shocks, Traser and Marathons, it's hard to go wrong with any one of them)

I don't know about Broadarrow and Countycomm. I was thinking about getting a GSAR from my current TSAR and Countycomm doesn't carry the GSAR, CSAR, and TSAR any more. A quick look through Broadarrow and it looks like they only have the JSAR's in stock. Is Marathon only selling their G,C, and TSARs direct now?

Also, Marathon's SAR line is very tough. I can't say about their mechanical movements, but I've wacked my TSAR against our Bridgeport along with other things and still works perfectly.

I am actively hunting for a marathon, T SAR or GSAR I prefer the automatic one since the C Sar seems to have disappeared from everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am actively hunting for a marathon, T SAR or GSAR I prefer the automatic one since the C Sar seems to have disappeared from everywhere. </div></div>

There is one for sale in the Option & Accessories section right now....

If you get a luminox get one with a stainless case. The plastic ones don't hold up.
Another good one is the seiko monster orange. Your arm will wear out before the watch will.

I LOVED my Marathon TSAR for the 5 months I had it . . . until the TSA clerk made me remove it at the security check point in Houston coming back from Ecuador 2 weeks ago and forgot to give it back to me. TSA can piss off - what am I gonna do, accost the flight attendant with my watch mid flight? Smuggle 1/10 gram of coke? Come on. Still full of joy over that.
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am actively hunting for a marathon, T SAR or GSAR I prefer the automatic one since the C Sar seems to have disappeared from everywhere.</div></div>

Looks like Chronoworld.com still has them. They seem to be getting scarce lately...

I would def put a vote in for G-Shock they are stout and very rugged watches. Only downside I have seen are the screens are not scratch resistant, scratched mine the second day owning but other then that very well put together and reasonably priced.

IMHO, all G-Shocks are not created equal. The plastic cased, plastic band versions blow wad.

The all steel versions are built like tanks (hence the price difference). I have two steel G-Shock/Tough Solar type watches. One I have had for over 7 years and has positively had the crap beat out of it (with me attached to it, no less
smile.gif
). It has never failed me (watch or band).

I sure wish they'd make one with a built in data port and ballistic calculator (tied to the triple sensor technology)...it'd make a sweet addition to the shooting gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luminox are crap. Get a G-Shock and don't fall for the SEAL marketing BS</div></div> Dont know to much about luminox but my $70 G-Shock has been beat to shit and still functions perfect! And it looks nice/cool and you can take it diving.

Luminox are mediocre at best. Not a very good watch considering the price tag. I have one and I pretty much never wear it. It keeps OK time, but the hands are hard to sync and time hack, and the date is just about impossible to hack. The only time I wear it is when I go camping because the tritium is very bright and I can see what time it is.

I would consider a Suunto Vector if you're looking for a digital watch with multiple features.

If you just want a good quality analog watch then you don't need to spend a fortune. The Seiko Kinetic drive Dive watches are hard to beat. In fact, Seiko watches are pretty much bomb proof, especially the older automatic dive watches. Hamiltons are also very good watches and while they are a bit pricey, they can be purchased in automatic or spring drive. That's some important shit to consider when you can't drop into the local Walgreens to buy a watch battery.

How is it difficult to hack the date on a Luminox? Hack the second hand as well as possible, set the date 1 day behind of what it should be, then wind forward the time until the time (and consequently date) are correct...

The Suuntos seem to have the least efficient battery consumption schedule of multi function watches. It seems to be the trend of more functions = faster battery consumption.

As far as battery life is concerned, at least go for one with a EOL indicator. One would hope you could get a battery change in the period between when the EOL indicator comes on and the battery actually dies.

For a simple bombproof analog watch, it's hard to beat the the Seiko's for value and the Marathons for being out right beasts.

I have a seiko ecozilla I picked up here on the hide. It is built like a tank, solar w/6 month power reserves, safe for diving with mixed games (which I will never need) and looks great IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geometro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is it difficult to hack the date on a Luminox? Hack the second hand as well as possible, set the date 1 day behind of what it should be, then wind forward the time until the time (and consequently date) are correct...
</div></div>

Well that would normally be the procedure, but when my date complication decides to roll over to the next day seems to be more a variable than a constant. I'm not the only guy that ever had this problem with a Luminox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hkmp5s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get a luminox get one with a stainless case...</div></div>

Agreed! Thus the reason I chose the one I did.
6402.BO

So far, so good. It's been beat up a bit, and it's still with me working like a champ. I think if it had been one of the polymer cased versions with a rubber strap... it would have failed me.

My Luminox has been going strong since about 2004 with only one batter change and it still looks pretty good, too.