• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A stampede of Bighorns, Oregon pics

10fp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2006
Coast Range
Figured you guys might enjoy these pictures. I spotted a few ewes right off the road along the Columbia River on my way to Idaho, left the car at some canyon, geared up and headed for a little hike. After a few vertical falls and some sneaking around I saw the biggest pod of Rams I have ever seen, one was 22 males deep with another 20 or so scattered about. Real obvious who the alpha males are, I got to about 20 yards of them. In 2 hours time I counted 81 total sheep. I thinks the state of Oregon underestimates their population.

rams1.jpg

rams2.jpg

rams3.jpg

rams4.jpg

rams5.jpg

rams6.jpg

rams7.jpg

rams8.jpg

rams9.jpg

rams10.jpg

Re: A stampede of Bighorns, Oregon pics

rams11.jpg

rams12.jpg

rams13.jpg

rams14.jpg

rams15.jpg

rams16.jpg

These are just into Montana, I chased around a cougar for about 40 minutes who was chasing antelope but my fingers weren’t fast enough for good pics on that one.

iggle1.jpg

iggle2.jpg

hawks.jpg

damn forum shrinks pics, shame as resolution is awesome in full size

Those are some fine pictures!! Thanks for sharing.
Jason

I know that stretch of I-84....I almost swerve off the road looking for rams every time I drive through there.

Man those are awesome pictures. I always stop before I reach that section of 84.

If they're the same group I'm thinking of they generally hang out just east of the John Day River (where it comes into the Columbia). About the only part of that trip I look forward to.

Hopefully I can draw my Idaho sheep tag this year and have some pictures with them.

Beautiful!!! Theres nothing like wild rams...well done!

great pics, good luck to any hide members entering a draw for a tag
wink.gif

yep just off deschutes and john day rivers, the climb looks easier from the road, good boots are a must. i am stuck in wyo s. dacota border at the moment with 40mph winds and 2feet of snow, funny watching antelope brave the plains in this weather...

Nice pics, loongshot. I havent seen them in a while up there. Usually see them down south where we go

XTi with Canon L 70-200 F4, nothing fancy. Wish forum would allow full size, shrinking really kills quality.