• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A tale of two guns / tight bore vs. standard bore

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
Didn't know if I should post this in the reloading forum or in bolt action rifles. I figured bolt action rifles as it's more about the barrels than the actual reloading or the load data.

We get asked the question a lot about tight bore barrels and standard bore barrels, faster, slower, barrel life etc.... This didn't start out as a test but while I was loading ammo up Friday night for my K98k SSR build/rifle that I'm working on it came to me.

The barrel on my K98k is a tight bore barrel where as the barrel on my shop test rifle (Savage 112v) is a standard bore barrel. Both have the same chamber, twist etc....so I chronographed tested both guns Saturday morning.

The test I will call it semi scientific as there are some minor differences but the results where interesting.

Here are a couple of pictures with descriptions:

P1040374.jpg

P1040371.jpg

The set up and the conditions. The distance from the shooting bench to the target/backstop is 114 yards. The range faces N/NE. Chronograph was 15 feet from the bench.

Conditions: Temp. 60F, wind SE at 11mph, humidity 80%, dew point 47 degrees and pressure was 28.89"

The guns and ammo sat outside for approx. 1 hour so they acclimated to the environment from being in the house.

The chronograph is a Oehler 35P with proof screen. Both guns are chambered in 7.5x58mm.

Savage 112v barrel K98k barrel
bore size = .3001" bore = .2991"
goove size = .3080" groove size = .3080"
twist = 11.25 twist = 11.25
finish length = 23" finish length = 23.5"
barrel = stainless steel barrel = chrome moly
Number & style of grooves for both = 5R

Both barrels where installed by myself and chambered with the same chamber reamer. All of the ammo was loaded with the same lot of bullets (175 Sierra Mk), same lot of powder (Varget) and same lot of cases (Win.) and same lot of primers (Fed210m). Bullets are seated .010" off the lands.

The ammo wasn't loaded for max. velocity. I backed off the load as usually I only shoot 155 Lapua's and have never loaded the 175's till this point. Also the K98k rifle action being made in 1941 my intent with that gun is to shoot it and enjoy it and not run max loads thru it.

The load was 47.0gr. of Varget +/- .1 of a grain. Charges where thrown thru a Harrell's BR powder measure and the weight of the charge was checked on two different scales.

The Savage barrel has 160 rounds on it and the K98k barrel has 80 rounds on it. So one barrel doesn't have 3k rounds on it and the other only 200 rounds. So basically both barrels are brand new.

I fired 4 rounds to foul each barrel doing the Savage first and then shooting 4 rounds thru the K98. I don't take chronograph readings with a cold clean barrel/include the very first round fired. Usually the very first round fired is slower than rest because the fouling will kinda act like a lubricant.

I set up the chronograph and then proceeded to clock the loads. I fired one round (recorded the data) to get the barrel back to the same temp. for the most part and cleared the chronograph and then fired 5 rounds. Again I did the Savage first and then the K98. I shot both guns the same way and with the same cadence.

Savage velocites where as follows: 2569, 2578, 2597, 2568, 2574fps.
ES = 29fps, avg. velocity = 2577fps, SD = 11

The K98 are as follows: 2574, 2584, 2574, 2571, 2584fps,
ES = 13, avg. velocity = 2577fps, SD = 6

If I thru in the first warm up round for a total of 6 rounds it came out to be an average of 2582 for the Savage and 2579 for the K98. Only a difference of 3fps.

I had to stop testing at that point as guys showed up in the field behind my backstop (dam snowmobile club putting in trail markers thru the field).

Again I call the test semi scientific. Both barrels where not made from the same material let alone the same lot of steel and different contours. Also the barrel length was different between the two. 23" for the Savage and 23.5". I would've expected a little faster reading from the K98 because of the extra length but it wasn't there. Also again it was a informal test and it wasn't done in a controlled environment/ballistics range and the test should be done with several barrels. Not just one each etc...you should make like 3 or 5 of each when doing tests like this. I feel you get better and more consistent data.

The summary of all of this goes back to what I always say. A tight bore (tops of the lands) doesn't effect the velocity and pressure as much as everyone thinks it does and at least in this case it showed it. Changing the groove size will have a greater impact on pressure and velocities. The next barrel I should do is a .299 bore x .309 groove. Will make the groove size +.001" bigger instead of a .308 groove size.

I know this will answer some questions and most likely raise more.....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Re: A tale of two guns / tight bore vs. standard bore

Great read, I would be interested on your thoughts regarding changing the groove size and how it effects velocity.

The saying goes tighter is slower and looser is faster. That's why if I where to make another barrel for starters I would make one with a .299 bore and the groove size at .309.

We make barrels for 6mm for Norma that have a tight bore and a loose groove. Accuracy wise they just pound. I asked about the dimensions they gave us when they very first ordered them and why etc.... They said thew we're going to run the same ratio that is on the 6.5x55 barrels as they get great barrel life etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this will answer some questions and most likely raise more.....
</div></div>
Thanks for the info, Frank. I look forward to your updates.

All I know is that my two Bartlein barrels (.308 Win & 6.5 Creedmoor) do the job. And when it comes to replace them, the Bartlein name will be on the new ones.

P1040375.jpg

The 4 rounds on the bottom left where the very first rounds thru the 112v. The right round was a warm up round before I shot the next 5 thru the chronograph which I shot on a seperate target. Notice where the 5th round printed. Exact same area as the last three.

The first round which was low is because the first round thru a clean cold barrel is about 30-50fps on average slower than the rest. That's why like I stated I don't shoot the first rounds thru the chronograph for data. I'll note it and record it for records sake but that's it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Got a another barrel made. .300 bore x .309 groove but it's a 1-10 twist, 5R. Still have to thread, chamber, install etc....

I don't think the twist is going to make a difference in velocity at all but it will be interesting about the bigger groove and what happens there.

Also as a side note. The two guns listed above. The barrels headspace on each one was identical. I take a fired case out of the Savage rifle and drop it in the K98 and vice versa and the bolts close without any effort.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank,
Along the line of reasoning that the groove size has a greater impact on pressure and velocity, can you tell me where the groove size on a "standard" .299/.308 5R barrel falls? Reason I ask is you all are making 4 .308 barrels for me right now. I requested they be the same bore dimensions (.299/.308) that GAP normally uses on their bolt guns because they shoot extremely well and I've noticed with factory ammo, I always get ~50 fps (or more) greater MV than the box test value with my GAP rifles. It's not a matter of barrel length as a couple are 24" barrels, which I believe is the industry standard barrel length used to determine MVs for factory ammo. I always thought they were a tick faster because of the tight bore, but it seems from your test as though it may be more a matter of groove size. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank,
Along the line of reasoning that the groove size has a greater impact on pressure and velocity, can you tell me where the groove size on a "standard" .299/.308 5R barrel falls? Reason I ask is you all are making 4 .308 barrels for me right now. I requested they be the same bore dimensions (.299/.308) that GAP normally uses on their bolt guns because they shoot extremely well and I've noticed with factory ammo, I always get ~50 fps (or more) greater MV than the box test value with my GAP rifles. It's not a matter of barrel length as a couple are 24" barrels, which I believe is the industry standard barrel length used to determine MVs for factory ammo. I always thought they were a tick faster because of the tight bore, but it seems from your test as though it may be more a matter of groove size. Thanks! </div></div>

If you ordered the same thing that GAP gets you are getting a .299 bore x .308 groove. 5R style rifling.

If I understand your question correctly on the what is the standard groove size. The minimum SAAMI spec. is .3080" +.0005" for tolerance. So your barrels do have a standard groove size. It's the bore size (tops of the lands) that are tighter. The .300" +.0005" is a standard SAAMI min. spec.

Factory barrels when supplied from places like Rem., Win. Savage etc....They normally will not make a barrel smaller then the min. standard listed for that caliber (.30-06, 7mm mag. etc...) with that being said I've seen factory .30cal. barrels run big. Instead of a .300 x .308 dimension I've seen them .301 x .309.

The bore and groove size of the barrel are not the only factors that effect pressure and velocity. What reamer spec. are you running. Let's say you change the throat dimensions from a standard .308win. Changing these dimensions can have an impact as well on how the barrel performs. Now you start changing more than one thing at one time you don't always know what impacted your results etc....

Hence my post about tight bore vs. standard bore. Now the only thing I've changed is the actual bore size (not the groove size) and keep in mind this was a test based just on two barrels only. A good test would be with say 5 barrels of each.

With having a .300x.309 barrel to play with now and once I get around to chambering it and installing it on a gun and running the test again with the same ammo it will be interesting to see what happens.

later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

For some more information about this sort of thing read P.O. Ackleys handbook for shooters ( I forget if it's in volume One or Two ) about shooting the new .321" 8mm bullets thru the older 98 with the .318" barrels. Also about him chanbering and throating a .30 caliber barrel with a .35 Whelen reamer and shooting .35 caliber bullets down a .30 caliber barrel.
Lead and copper swedge at a fairly low pressure, and are fully swedged down as soon as the full bearing surface of the bullet is into the rifling. Long before peak pressure is reached at two or three or maybe four inches down the barrel.

Very good! Thank you. Please keep track on accuracy also. I have a Bartlein heavy Palma, 5R and I love it. But my next Bartlein will be "T" style rifling.

Reading this, given the two choices bore size = .3001" & bore = .2991" with the same groove size groove size = .3080", in this specific case there was little change in pressure, no mention of accuracy or precision results.

I have to assume if there is little velocity difference there is some other benefit. If not why offer it at all?

Given 2 identical barrels, except bore as in this case, shooting the same SMK weight bullet, what does one then offer over the other. Does one wear less or something? Perhaps more possible consistency?

Just trying to figure out what decision matrix one uses to select a bore, outside the .299 is more popular which I believe it is, and GAP uses it. Those are hardly empirical data points in my mind. Not saying you said that, I am just thinking out loud.

So the question is, any guidance on what decision criteria one uses to select a bore?

Last edited:
Reading this, given the two choices bore size = .3001" & bore = .2991" with the same groove size groove size = .3080", in this specific case there was little change in pressure, no mention of accuracy or precision results.

I have to assume if there is little velocity difference there is some other benefit. If not why offer it at all?

Given 2 identical barrels, except bore as in this case, shooting the same SMK weight bullet, what does one then offer over the other. Does one wear less or something? Perhaps more possible consistency?

Just trying to figure out what decision matrix one uses to select a bore, outside the .299 is more popular which I believe it is, and GAP uses it. Those are hardly empirical data points in my mind. Not saying you said that, I am just thinking out loud.

So the question is, any guidance on what decision criteria one uses to select a bore?

No difference in accuracy. If anything the .299" bore size might last a little longer. The Savage action rifle has been shot in matches. It will shoot 3" or smaller groups at 600 yards shooting on a F-class target it will hold the X-ring or smaller. Has shot sub 1" groups at 300 yards. The gun will never let you down if you drive it right.

My palma rifle had a .298" bore x .3075" groove barrel and accuracy wise didn't shoot any better. The old standard for a Palma rifle is .298x.3065.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I like when I find informative posts like this on the hide as apposed to the random babble of misinformation that some people try to pass off as truth because they heard it somewhere... Thanks for the info Frank!

Frank, do you think that a tighter chamber would have more effect on velocity? Or a combination of tighter chamber and tighter bore dia? Wonder if it would make a difference?

Frank, do you think that a tighter chamber would have more effect on velocity? Or a combination of tighter chamber and tighter bore dia? Wonder if it would make a difference?

What's your definition of a tight chamber? Tighter on the case body/neck area? Tighter throat spec.? On the case body hard to say but if just minor differences I'm going to say no. Changing the throat spec. on diameter and lead with the same load will drive up pressures and velocity some for sure.

Later, Frank