• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A "tough" hunting scope?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    My boss showed me pictures today of the huge Wyoming whitetail (8-point) that he harvested last week with this Howa 1500 in 300 Winchester Magnum.

He also mentioned it took six shots! When I asked why, he held out his 3-9x Bushnell Legend. I took it from him and could immediately feel the guts rattling around inside the tube. I looked through it and saw a 45 degree rotated reticle and a piece of chipped glass.

This scope is 3 years old and has seen maybe 100 rounds. He thinks it started to let go during the ride in the back of the pick-up. It obviously lost zero during the trip in the woods.

He has asked me what I think he should do about it. Unfortunately he's on a tight budget, but wants to know my thoughts on a <$500 hunting scope that is known for its "toughness".

All I could think of were the Burris Fullfield scopes due to their claim of dual erector springs, or the Signature line with the Posi-Lock feature.

Anyone have any other advice for him?

Re: A "tough" hunting scope?

The Burris Fullfield II scopes are an excellent option and can be had for well under $500 depending on what magnif. he wants.

Also, the Bushnell Elite (3200, 4200, and 6500) scopes are also a good option for that kind of money.

I am currently running a Vortex Viper on my 300 win mag. Ran 60rds through it with no problems.

nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is a nice one to. Beat the hell out of mine and it has worked good for me.

What do you guys think about a Zeiss Conquest?

Would I have any reason to believe they are built better than a mid-grade scope from any other company?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think about a Zeiss Conquest?

Would I have any reason to believe they are built better than a mid-grade scope from any other company? </div></div>
    They're certainly <span style="font-size: 14pt">bigger</span> than other scopes at that price point.

Tell him to check out Sightron IIIs or the Vortex line.

My buddy and i beat our Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14-40 to death year after year and still hold a zero! Best hunting scope i have found

The Nikon Omega 3-9x50, is a nice choice for heavy recoilers; it has 5" of eye-relief through out the entire magnification range.

The Vortex 2.5-7 certainly seems well put together. I haven't put it through it's paces yet, though. Alternatively, why not a SS 3-9?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is a nice one to. Beat the hell out of mine and it has worked good for me. </div></div>

+1

i have an old simmons 44mag that is tough as nails, it sits on top of a .300h&h mag, with no problems, and holds 0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is a nice one to. Beat the hell out of mine and it has worked good for me. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>
    +1

or Nightforce if he decides to splurge!
    smile.gif

I recently bought a swarovski to replace a leupold vxIII on my hunting rifle. I cant attest to the toughness which I believe will be excellent. I can however say that it has the largest field of view of any other scope I have (USO, NF, Leupold, Nikon). FOV is something to consider strongly on a hunting scope.

If hes really on a budget or just cheap like so many of us. Tell him to get a leupy vx-1 3-9 and be done with it. For most average shooters they will last 2 lifetimes. Or any of the Nikon scopes even their low end line are great scopes with solid glass in them.

G24,

I've had both the Nikon Buckmaster and the Falcon on my 300wsm and both have held up well. The Nikon is more "Hunt" oriented, and the Falcon more of "Tactical" style scope. If he has the cash tell him to upgrade from the Buckmaster to the Monarch. (More light transmission)

-Pat

Go with Sightron if he is on a budget. They will replace the scope for the rest of his life should something ever happen, no questions asked. It is a great scope for hunting. I have one on my 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If hes really on a budget or just cheap like so many of us. Tell him to get a leupy vx-1 3-9 and be done with it. For most average shooters they will last 2 lifetimes. Or any of the Nikon scopes even their low end line are great scopes with solid glass in them. </div></div>
    the boring and correct answer.
    smile.gif

Lots of good quality scopes for hunting. In a 3-9x40....

From about $175 - $250:

Vortex Diamondback - huge FOV and never had one break yet
    Nikon Buckmasters - I echo all the positive comments here

About $350 - $500:

Vortex Viper
    Sightron SII Big Sky
    Zeiss Conquest (can even squeeze in the Rapid Z 600)

Others from Lupy and Bushnell are good to, but the above choices have better glass than them in each price point, IMO.

Scott

If his budget is in the neighborhood of 500 then he should be able to have a few to pick from, I have 3X9s in Leupold, Burris, and Nikons and they are all nice scopes, a few years back I also had a couple of the Simmons 3X10 44 Mag scopes and for the money they are hard to beat, a local shop is running a sale on them for $99.

I vote buckmaster as well. I do have an old old Simmons Aetec on my 300 Win MAg that has been a great scope as well. For the money, the Buckmaster is the real deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think about a Zeiss Conquest?

Would I have any reason to believe they are built better than a mid-grade scope from any other company? </div></div>

Best glass for the $ spent.

I have a 6 or so of them on rifles from .308 to 375H&H

Thanks for all the great input gentlemen. He has lots to think about!

what about a falcon 4-14. Have over 500 rounds of .308 with mind holds zero perfect and is pretty rugged.

If he is gonna spend $500 or less tell him to buy 2 of them . My buddies Sightron worked great right up until he tried to sight in on his elk and it was fogged over ..... on the inside . He used to give me crap about having expensive scopes but he wasn't making many jokes the first day of the season . Now that the season is over he just got his brand new replacement
    whistle.gif

Might look around for a couple used Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 scopes and make sure they are mounted in good rings with a backup close at hand . He could also look around and try and find one of the new SWFA 3-9 Super snipers . Its a bit more than what he wanted to spend but Frank seemed to like the one they demo'd .

I have been using a Weaver grand slam 3.5-10x50 on my browning 300WSM for years now with no problems at all. The tracking is great on it and that gun only weighs in at around 8 lbs so it takes quite a wollop. For around $300 you cant beat it.

Nikon is a good scope, seems to have good glass on the older Monarch UCC line. I have had a 3x9 on a very light 7mag, that kicks like a mule, and never had a problem with that scope. It seem a lot brighter in low light, than any of my Leupys ever could. The brightness alone help me kill on of the biggest bucks I have ever shot, right at dark. I wish they would get away from their 1/8 moa turrets and make a scope like a Mark 4, or do they, I don't know.

Don't overlook the fixed power scopes either, there are a lot of great optical 6-7x fixed scopes that are super durable, less moving parts and lighter. Typically also better optically than their variable power brothers in the same line.

The 3-9x super sniper is supposed to be really good.

CDNN right now is blowing out 3-9x42 Kahles multizero scopes and several other versions in the $500-650 range they are great scopes, and probably better than any other glass you are going to find at that price. However, kahles no longer has a warranty presence in NA so if it does have problems it has to go back to austria.

Bushnell 4200 scopes have been really durable for me as well.

That said, depending on what he's expecting most scopes are not going to take a ride in a back of a pickup just left to bounce around. The legend scopes are not indestructible but not junk either, if it took that much internal damage it could be that most scopes might fail under similar conditions.

another vote for the Nikon Buckmaster.
    that's what replaced my VX-III 2.5-8 on my 340Wby. The Leupold failed in less than 40 rounds, #40 was at an elk 100yds broadside. Low leg hit and a full day of tracking an elk with a broken leg. Took the rifle to the range when I got home. 18" low and wouldn't adjust. removed it from the rifle and it rattled like a new years noise maker.

Sent it to Leupold for repair, they fixed it up good as new, included paperwork stating such with the returned scope. sold it, would never be able to trust that scope agaiin.

Have not had a problem with either of the 2 Nikons I have on hunting rifles.

watch on ebay and you can usually find a fixed 6x swarovski for under $525. Not many bad things get said about the swaro's