• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A visit from the bad idea fairy 300prc build

NedSmash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2020
So I've got this "great idea" for a rifle I want to build, I know I'm asking a lot out of one rifle and none of it will be perfect, but that's how all of my guns end up so I'm fine with it. Goal is a 300prc build, 20in(ish) barrel, pretty much sold on using an ARC Nucleus as the start, will also run a TBAC Dominus but that's as far as I've decided on so far. Purpose of the rifle will be Alaska hunting, with the occasional PRS or Competition Dynamics style match when I get the chance and just enjoying shooting more long range.

Has anyone else gone down a similar road before that has any advice? Like what are my stock/ chassis options, I've looked at the usual (XLR, MPA Ultralight, KRG Bravo, MDT LSS/ XRS, ARC Xylo) are there any I missed that might be a better fit? Leaning towards the Xylo because by the time you spec most of the others out they're pretty much the same price but don't give "the fizz" like the Xylo does.

Also has anyone done a switch barrel on a Nucleus? The bolt faces are easy enough to swap so I'm assuming it's possible, just haven't found any examples yet. Idea being to get a 308 or something else cheaper to shoot to switch between to get more time on the gun.

I'm not terribly concerned with weight, but under 10lbs with glass would be ideal. Budget is a concern, but know there's a few places it's not worth skimping on and where I can save a few bucks to upgrade down the road if I want.

I know you said weight was not a big issue, but you are going to struggle to get any chassis rifle under 10 pounds with suitable glass for PRS matches. The XRS, which I have, is more than 4 pounds by itself. Figure 3+lbs for the barrel and you don't have much room for a scope and action. Throw n the can and you are definitely over 10 lbs. if you go with a good hunting - style stock, you'll probably save a full pound.

To get under 10 pounds, you'll probably need to go with a light weight hunting stock, scope and a carbon wrapped barrel.

I"d get the chassis now and get tte lightweight hunting stock when you start seriously planning your Alaska hunt.

Last edited:
I built a 6.5cm for hunting, I wanted lighter weight.
Curtis Axiom
Bartlein 18” carbon
XLR Carbon chassis
Kahles 3-18
ARC rings
Silencerco Omega
With 5 rounds in the mag it comes in at 12 pounds, I could shave some weight going with a March but it still won’t be 10#

Thats how it starts but once I get a rifle all dialed I'm not inclined to change it.

I have a nuke 300PRC in a Bravo. I have ARC barloc quick barrel change system and I had originally order a 6.5 prc barrel also thinking I would do barrel swaps and PRS with it. it shoots great and I like shooting the 300 so I didnt want to mess that up.

in the end I ended up with a short action Archimedes and built a whole 2nd rifle for the 6.5 Barrel.

Only regret is should have went carbon barrels because at about 13lbs the barrel makes it a little heavy to hike with.

Meh 700 nitro express in a 16” barrel is what I’m thinking, light and very practical , cheap red dot and you are good , muzzle flash and blast kills anything within 50 yards , surely y’all man enough?

I didn't realize you could get the Xylo in long action so thats a bonus. The Nucleus is a great action and I have swapped barrels with good effect but have yet to change the bolt face to do so. The only issue would be feeding the 308 cartridges out of a long action magazine. I've got a buddy running 6.5 PRC in a Nucleus LA out of LA Magnum magazines so its probably feasible.

Earlier this year I built a 300prc off the following parts

-Defiance anti-x
-proof 26” full sendero CF
-MDT HNT26 with the folding stock
-MDT 5 round box mag
-NF NX8 4-32
-Triggertech diamond
-ARC rings

Not sure how accurate my wife’s food scale is but with the magazine and no muzzle device it shows 9lb 2.3oz.

Even with the area 419 match brake this thing is a handful, can’t wait to see how the magnus does on it if it ever gets released. The rifle beside it is a 20” 6.5prc full sendero on a savage action, PTG bottom metal, EH1 stock with their mini chassis and a 3-15 vortex razor HD LHT and the 300 is a few ounces lighter.

Reactions: NedSmash