• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A4 or A5?

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I've shot an A4 stock once, was not bad, had an A5 briefly but sold it and now I want to put my baby back in an A5 but got thinking about the A4.

Which do you prefer, and please don't vote if you have not shot both.

Re: A4 or A5?

Have/Had both. Sold my A5 now I have 2 A4's. I liked to grip more. Stocks are 100% personal really.

Have shot both but prefer the A4 partially because I like the forend for shooting prone off a bipod. And the fact that I love the M40 make me favor the A4.

Although I prefer the overall feel of the A-3/5 over both the '4 and the '5, the A-4 just feels too bulky to me. The tapered forestock on the A-5 is a bit more comfortable for me when shooting off-hand. The front end on the A-4 feels too much like grabbing a 3x3 scrap of lumber.
May not be such a big difference for you, but the forearms are pretty much the deciding factors for me. Strangely enough (hope I'm not clouding your decision here), I'm really happy with my Manners T4 stocks (both adj. and non-adj. cheek pieces). The only way to be sure is to try them all, yourself.

I like the A4 but I love my A5.

I'm going with the A5, I too thought the A4 felt like grabbing a 3x3 piece of lumber...

I like the hook on the A5, the foreend matters to me as well.

If you like the slimmer forearm and the butt-hook, you should also look at the A3/5. The front end is just a little trimmer yet, and feels even more comfortable in the hand. Shame you're not nearby, I really like the 3/5, and could let you try them side by side.

I have two rifles with A5 stocks. I like the foregrip and butthook differences over the A4.

I don't have an A4, but doing a build with an A5 cause I like it the best out of the ones I've held.

I like my A5 better than the A4 I tried for only one reason... The thumb-wheel adjustment for Comb height. It's just really convenient to rest my cheek on the stock and spin the wheel until my eye lines up with my scope... As opposed to adjusting, checking, adjusting, checking, etc.

I have a A5, that being said I LOVE A4's! To me the A5 is a little more practical because of the more comfortable forearm, but then again it's all about how you are going to use it ( prone/ different positions/hunting). If you get a A4, skip the adjustable cheek piece and look and into getting a eagle cheek pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a A5, that being said I LOVE A4's! To me the A5 is a little more practical because of the more comfortable forearm, but then again it's all about how you are going to use it ( prone/ different positions/hunting).<span style="color: #FF0000">If you get a A4, skip the adjustable cheek piece and look and into getting a eagle cheek pack</span>. </div></div>
Not sure about the wisdom in this. Here's why: to get a repeatable cheek-weld I rest the under side of my cheek bone on the comb of the stock like a shelf. Everyone's cheek bone is different, so being able to adjust the height is crucial. For me it's not about comfort... It's about eye/scope alignment repeatability. The easiest way to get that is with an adjustable cheek rest. Stock packs are comfortable, but not right for everyone. Just my opinion... FWIW.

Ive shot both - i have longer arms (73ish wingspan) and i found the A4 to be more comfortable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with the A5, I too thought the A4 felt like grabbing a 3x3 piece of lumber...

I like the hook on the A5, the foreend matters to me as well.

</div></div>

Sounds like you've already made your decision, but your comments mirror my own thoughts to a T!!!